Sign in with
Your question

Turning off hard drives? (not through windows options)

Last response: in Storage
September 30, 2006 4:34:01 PM

hi all,

does anyone know of any simple programs that can turn off my hard drives when i don't need them (only when i manually want them off)? (mainly to reduce heat and prolong life) as these drives only get used about 2-4 times a week (my games...) and other then that their empty (raid 0). windows can turn off the drives properly, so i'm wondering if there are other programs to do the same thing as i wouldn't rely on windows to keep the drives off (and to not spin them up unescessarily).

Thanks in advance,
Ara
September 30, 2006 5:15:06 PM

Quote:
hi all,

does anyone know of any simple programs that can turn off my hard drives when i don't need them (only when i manually want them off)? (mainly to reduce heat and prolong life) as these drives only get used about 2-4 times a week (my games...) and other then that their empty (raid 0). windows can turn off the drives properly, so i'm wondering if there are other programs to do the same thing as i wouldn't rely on windows to keep the drives off (and to not spin them up unescessarily).

Thanks in advance,
Ara

Unplug power connector.
September 30, 2006 5:27:00 PM

i would really prefer not to. i want something software-based, because windows can turn off the drives, so another program can surely send the same signal...

Ara
Related resources
September 30, 2006 5:27:57 PM

Quote:
i would really prefer not to. i want something software-based, because windows can turn off the drives, so another program can surely send the same signal...

Ara

I hope you find the program. I can use it too. HD makers should make this software available. Probably afraid people would turn their HD's off and think they were defective and return them.
September 30, 2006 6:19:26 PM

Quote:
Probably afraid people would turn their HD's off and think they were defective and return them.

so true...

Ara
September 30, 2006 7:11:38 PM

been searching for hours now... nothing to be found, if you know of anything please, please post it.

gotta go to sleep now, be back with ya in ~16 hours (school included)
g'night

Ara
September 30, 2006 7:45:41 PM

Use your "sleep" hotkey on your keyboard.
When I hit my key, the comp turns off, the power button just blinks intermittently to let me know it has went to....well....sleep :) 

When I want it to come back to life, I hit ANY key and it boots back into my O/S and I'm off to the races.

The only other "software" based way I know of, again I use my comp as example, is by the "safely remove hardware" icon in the lower right task bar near the comp clock.
Double click the icon, check the "Display Device Componants" icon, highlight the drive you want to turn off, and click on Stop.
I believe that is only available on the boards with nFOrce chipsets though. Any one else can correct me if I am wrong.

Hope this helps bro :wink:

Antec P180 Performance Case
SeaSonic S12 600w PSU
Asus A8N32 SLI S-939 (bios 1103 V02.58 )
RealTek 97 Onboard
ATHLON 64 X2 4800+ Toledo Core (AMD v 1.3.1.0/MS hotfix/ Dual Opt)
2 G's of Corsair 3500LL Pro @ 400Mhz 2-3-2-6-1T
2- BFG 7900 GT OC in SLI (NV 91.31)
WD RAPTOR 74.3 G's / XP Home / SP2 & Apps
Maxtor SATA II 250 G's /Gaming / Movies / MP3's
Maxtor SATA II 250 G's /backup (unplugged)
Sony CDrom 52X
Plextor 708-A DVD/CD rom
Razer DiamondBack Optical mouse
Logitech Z-5500 Dolby Digital 5.1 THX 500w
October 1, 2006 1:20:51 PM

i would love to set my computer to sleep, but the rest of the computer is always being used (by me or F@H) i just want those drives to turn off when i'm not gaming, and i'm guessing no one knows any programs?

Ara
October 1, 2006 2:06:33 PM

well... powering the drives down, just for the sake of preserving longevity of them... actually in effect, reduces the life of them... cuz if you keep powering up and down and up and down, it does wear slowly on the mechanics of the drive itself... the best way to preserve hdd life, is to just leave it powered on the whole time your computer is on, disabling power management for it too, and, like someone else said, unplug the power connector when its not in use... that would be the best way to preserve its life in all honesty.

oh yeah... and for heat as well, if theyre powered, theyre more than likely going to be generating at least alittle heat too anyhow... so, unplugging them for that reason too would be a good idea as well.
October 1, 2006 2:22:27 PM

Have you tried HDSleep? It a win98 tool, but I've seen people talk about it before. 20$ shareware though. Look for a file hdslp155.zip I heard this product is laced with adware sometimes.
October 1, 2006 3:02:53 PM

Google Hard Disk Sleeper
October 1, 2006 4:07:55 PM

search for swapmanager.

cheers
October 1, 2006 5:35:51 PM

thanks for the suggestions although none of them worked.

hdsleep didn't work because it had a bug and said my trial was over.
swap manager just didn't open.

thanks for the tries, i really don't think we'll find anything (anything compatible anyway), so forget it.

Ara
October 1, 2006 6:03:17 PM

swap manager works, i've tried it. sorry if it didn't worked for you.
a b G Storage
October 1, 2006 6:13:44 PM

Closest thing I have seen is an icybox HDD caddy that fits in the 5-1/4 bays. The last one I had was IDE, and had a key for unlocking and powering down prior to removal, obviously you can't do that live, but you could with a SATA drive that supports hot plugging. I used it to give me dual boot, as I turned my main drive off and the bios would look to the next drive in the list to boot off of.

Its an option.
October 1, 2006 6:18:23 PM

changed my mind, decided to keep it always on, because i hadn't thought about the temperature changes the drives would occur and how this will wear them as well as the fact that i read that startup is the main wear on hard drives.
sorry for this sudden change (thus making the OP useless) but thanks for the tries..

Ara
October 1, 2006 10:02:49 PM

Quote:
i would love to set my computer to sleep, but the rest of the computer is always being used (by me or F@H) i just want those drives to turn off when i'm not gaming, and i'm guessing no one knows any programs?

Ara

ARA I TOLD you......read my ENTIRE post....If you look at bottom right of your task bar, you will see an icon named "SAFELY REMOVE HARDWARE" if you have the nvidia chipset. ........geez I hate repeating myself :roll: .....so you double click the icon, chek the box called "display device componants" , highlight the drive you want to turn off, and then click STOP

Antec P180 Performance Case
SeaSonic S12 600w PSU
Asus A8N32 SLI S-939 (bios 1103 V02.58 )
RealTek 97 Onboard
ATHLON 64 X2 4800+ Toledo Core (AMD v 1.3.1.0/MS hotfix/ Dual Opt)
2 G's of Corsair 3500LL Pro @ 400Mhz 2-3-2-6-1T
2- BFG 7900 GT OC in SLI (NV 91.31)
WD RAPTOR 74.3 G's / XP Home / SP2 & Apps
Maxtor SATA II 250 G's /Gaming / Movies / MP3's
Maxtor SATA II 250 G's /backup (unplugged)
Sony CDrom 52X
Plextor 708-A DVD/CD rom
Razer DiamondBack Optical mouse
Logitech Z-5500 Dolby Digital 5.1 THX 500w
October 2, 2006 2:07:12 PM

but you see... i don't have an nVidia chipset, i forgot to actually mention that earlier when i was mentioning the options that didn't work :oops: 

Ara
October 2, 2006 5:45:11 PM

Damn........... that's too bad bro...... :(  unfortunately I'm only familiar with the nVidia chipsets
!