Using my computer as a web server. Help!

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Im trying to set up a web site and im going to use my computer at home as the server. Im using windows 2000 and IIS as my server. There are 5 computers in my house and im using a netgear ADSL router to connect them all together.

So far I have set up a test web page that i can access when i use the 192.168.0.X ip address but when i try accessing the site with the static external IP address it does not work.

Im using port forwarding on the router so thats not the problem. Can anybody help?

Why use windows when you can use doors?

McDouglas

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2003
Firs, u must make sure, that the port forwarding IS working. Do this with a firewall for example. If its not the problem, maybe u have problem with the domain setting in the webserver config... sorry, i know nothin about IIS, only Apache (why dont u use that?;)

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
I would use apache but i have absolutly no idea how to. It looks far more complicated than IIS. Do you know where i could get a begginners guide to apache? How can i use a firewall to check that port forwarding iis working?

Cloaked

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2003
it will be on the router configuration web page (since you said your router uses internal class c addressing this will probably be 192.168.1.1) you will need to enable the ports for http to be forwarded to the ip of the web server (192.168.1.x). Sorry, i dont know which ports these are off the top of my head.

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Yeh ive enabled port forwarding of port 80 to my web server at 192.168.0.23 but it still doesnt work. Any other ideas?

Sounds like another problem of sending ports through two devices.

Your modem has NAT and DHCP fonctions. So it has a built in firewall of sorts. Plus your Router has the same functions. you can not forward ports through two devices.

One possibility is to see if your ISP supports BRIDGREING the modem.(this turns off all functions except modem function.)

You will then need to set the router up to handle the log in connection.

If switching the modem is not an option ,then you will need to place a SWITCH between the modem and router. Plug the modem into the uplink port. them plug the router and server in the regular ports.

I aint signing nothing!!!

Tom_Smart

Illustrious
Put the web server in a DMZ. It is usually simpler than setting up port forwarding. It is also more secure as if an attacker gains access to the server in DMZ they wont have access to the rest of your network, they would if you only use port forwarding. You could always use a scanner to see what ports are visable externally, try eEye for a trial of retina or GFI for thier network security scanner or even good old faithfull Nmap(also available for windows hosts)

Death, taxs and P2P are we clear?