Replace Printer USB Port?

I have a fairly new HP Deskjet 3650. It fell from the shelf it was
sitting on...the USB cord kept it from hitting the floor, but the USB
Port in the back of the printer was damaged: one of the 4 metal
contacts and the plastic "peg" in the middle of them broke off. Is
it possible/easy to replace this, or am I better off just getting a
new printer? If it can be easily fixed, where would I find such a
part?

Thanks for any help!

BellaDea
4 answers Last reply
More about replace printer port

    BellaDea wrote:
    > I have a fairly new HP Deskjet 3650. It fell from the shelf it was
    > sitting on...the USB cord kept it from hitting the floor, but the USB
    > Port in the back of the printer was damaged: one of the 4 metal
    > contacts and the plastic "peg" in the middle of them broke off. Is
    > it possible/easy to replace this, or am I better off just getting a
    > new printer? If it can be easily fixed, where would I find such a
    > part?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!
    >
    > BellaDea

    ------------------

    You might find the connector -- for example look at the bottom of this page:

    http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T053/0047.pdf

    More likely however you'll have trouble finding the exact thing unless you live
    somewhere with a lot of electronics parts stores.

    Alternatively, perhaps you could get a cable with the correct end you want then
    cut it in half and just solder the wires onto the board where the existing
    connector sits. Then you'd have a pig-tail connector poking out the rear of the
    printer to connect to.

    You're aware of course that anything you do will void the warranty on the
    printer if "fairly new" means it's still under warranty.

    Good luck...

    Bill

    ------------------

    You might find the connector -- for example look at the bottom of this page:

    http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T053/0047.pdf

    More likely however you'll have trouble finding the exact thing unless you live
    somewhere with a lot of electronics parts stores.

    Alternatively, perhaps you could just take the USB cable you're using now and
    cut off the connector which was supposed to go to the printer. Then just solder
    the wires onto the board where the existing connector sits. Then you'd have
    permanent USB cable poking out the rear of the printer with a connector on the
    other end that goes to the computer.

    You're aware of course that anything you do will void the warranty on the
    printer if "fairly new" means it's still under warranty.

    Good luck...

    Bill

    I personally think finding the right USB connector is probably the easiest thing in
    this whole situation. You could actually get the right one from any broken printer
    that has same orientation. The trick will be to take the board out and remove the
    broken connector. Do you have the right equipment to accomplish the job: Good
    Soldering Iron. It is easy if you have the right equipment. Are you comfortable
    taking things apart and putting them back together?

    Dewaine

    Bill Martin wrote:

    > BellaDea wrote:
    > > I have a fairly new HP Deskjet 3650. It fell from the shelf it was
    > > sitting on...the USB cord kept it from hitting the floor, but the USB
    > > Port in the back of the printer was damaged: one of the 4 metal
    > > contacts and the plastic "peg" in the middle of them broke off. Is
    > > it possible/easy to replace this, or am I better off just getting a
    > > new printer? If it can be easily fixed, where would I find such a
    > > part?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help!
    > >
    > > BellaDea
    > >
    > ------------------
    >
    > You might find the connector -- for example look at the bottom of this page:
    >
    > http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T053/0047.pdf
    >
    > More likely however you'll have trouble finding the exact thing unless you live
    > somewhere with a lot of electronics parts stores.
    >
    > Alternatively, perhaps you could just take the USB cable you're using now and
    > cut off the connector which was supposed to go to the printer. Then just solder
    > the wires onto the board where the existing connector sits. Then you'd have
    > permanent USB cable poking out the rear of the printer with a connector on the
    > other end that goes to the computer.
    >
    > You're aware of course that anything you do will void the warranty on the
    > printer if "fairly new" means it's still under warranty.
    >
    > Good luck...
    >
    > Bill
  4. Hi guys. Is it easy to solder the connector into place? Is it very fine soldering, or is it east enough?

    Thanks 4 any replies

    Phil

Printers Hewlett Packard USB Peripherals