Replace Printer USB Port?

I have a fairly new HP Deskjet 3650. It fell from the shelf it was
sitting on...the USB cord kept it from hitting the floor, but the USB
Port in the back of the printer was damaged: one of the 4 metal
contacts and the plastic "peg" in the middle of them broke off. Is
it possible/easy to replace this, or am I better off just getting a
new printer? If it can be easily fixed, where would I find such a
part?

Thanks for any help!

BellaDea

BellaDea wrote:
> I have a fairly new HP Deskjet 3650. It fell from the shelf it was
> sitting on...the USB cord kept it from hitting the floor, but the USB
> Port in the back of the printer was damaged: one of the 4 metal
> contacts and the plastic "peg" in the middle of them broke off. Is
> it possible/easy to replace this, or am I better off just getting a
> new printer? If it can be easily fixed, where would I find such a
> part?
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> BellaDea

------------------

You might find the connector -- for example look at the bottom of this page:

http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T053/0047.pdf

More likely however you'll have trouble finding the exact thing unless you live
somewhere with a lot of electronics parts stores.

Alternatively, perhaps you could get a cable with the correct end you want then
cut it in half and just solder the wires onto the board where the existing
connector sits. Then you'd have a pig-tail connector poking out the rear of the
printer to connect to.

You're aware of course that anything you do will void the warranty on the
printer if "fairly new" means it's still under warranty.

Good luck...

Bill

------------------

You might find the connector -- for example look at the bottom of this page:

http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T053/0047.pdf

More likely however you'll have trouble finding the exact thing unless you live
somewhere with a lot of electronics parts stores.

Alternatively, perhaps you could just take the USB cable you're using now and
cut off the connector which was supposed to go to the printer. Then just solder
the wires onto the board where the existing connector sits. Then you'd have
permanent USB cable poking out the rear of the printer with a connector on the
other end that goes to the computer.

You're aware of course that anything you do will void the warranty on the
printer if "fairly new" means it's still under warranty.

Good luck...

Bill

I personally think finding the right USB connector is probably the easiest thing in
this whole situation. You could actually get the right one from any broken printer
that has same orientation. The trick will be to take the board out and remove the
broken connector. Do you have the right equipment to accomplish the job: Good
Soldering Iron. It is easy if you have the right equipment. Are you comfortable
taking things apart and putting them back together?

Dewaine

Bill Martin wrote:

> BellaDea wrote:
> > I have a fairly new HP Deskjet 3650. It fell from the shelf it was
> > sitting on...the USB cord kept it from hitting the floor, but the USB
> > Port in the back of the printer was damaged: one of the 4 metal
> > contacts and the plastic "peg" in the middle of them broke off. Is
> > it possible/easy to replace this, or am I better off just getting a
> > new printer? If it can be easily fixed, where would I find such a
> > part?
> >
> > Thanks for any help!
> >
> > BellaDea
> >
> ------------------
>
> You might find the connector -- for example look at the bottom of this page:
>
> http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T053/0047.pdf
>
> More likely however you'll have trouble finding the exact thing unless you live
> somewhere with a lot of electronics parts stores.
>
> Alternatively, perhaps you could just take the USB cable you're using now and
> cut off the connector which was supposed to go to the printer. Then just solder
> the wires onto the board where the existing connector sits. Then you'd have
> permanent USB cable poking out the rear of the printer with a connector on the
> other end that goes to the computer.
>
> You're aware of course that anything you do will void the warranty on the
> printer if "fairly new" means it's still under warranty.
>
> Good luck...
>
> Bill

philjglass

Hi guys. Is it easy to solder the connector into place? Is it very fine soldering, or is it east enough?

Thanks 4 any replies

Phil