Sign in with
Your question

Celeron Coppermine pinmod help

Last response: in CPUs
September 30, 2006 9:30:40 PM

Hi.
can someone help me pinmoding a celeron coppermine 1ghz?
the default voltage is 1.728v

i greatly apreciate any help.

sry for bad english*

thanks a lot
September 30, 2006 9:39:51 PM

Why pinmod it? Coppermine NEEDS 1.75V to operate stable at 1GHz... and you won't be getting the chip to 1.33GHz without having to break 2V.
October 1, 2006 11:04:35 AM

but what is the max voltage of the cpu?
i have 30ยบ right now on it.
what is the max temp i should expect?

thanks
Related resources
October 1, 2006 6:19:59 PM

Wait...what pinmod do you want to do?

Raise the voltage?

Change the fsb?

Make it run in a pre coppermine socket 370 board?

To raise the voltage and fsb, i would just checkout any pre-tualatin socket 370 data sheet. Just scroll through the data sheet and find the corisponding table to what you want to change to find out what pins you want to pull high or low. Remember 0=connected to vss, 1=open. The easiest way to change a 0 to 1 (open) is to cut the pin or bend the pin back and forth untill it breaks. Another way, is to take the cover off of the socket 370, so you just see the little springy metal contacts and pull the contact out with a really tiny plier, you might have to bend it up with a screwdriver so you can grip it well with the plier. The final way to do it, that does not damage anything, is to take the socket 370 cover off, and get a little peice of tape (I used to use masking tape, but it worked like shit, so maybe electrical tape would be a better idea) and cover the little contact peice with a tiny sliver of tape, so the pin is touching the tape instead of the metal contact.

To pull a pin high, you could, solder a wire onto the back of the board to a Vcc. But my favorite way, is to take apart a small transformer, like a pretty tiny one. You use the transformer wire, which is really thin wire, that is covered with a painted on insulation. You cut a sufficient sized peice of wire and then with some fine grit sand paper, carefully sand the the paint off of each end until you see shiny copper. Then loop each end around a sewing pin, and then use those loops connect any two pins together. Then connect the wire to another pin that is connected to vss, or directly to vss yourself. This method worked, so well, but it is really really really good, if you have a fin tip soldering iron, and just tack the wire onto the pin with a little bit of solder, but i'm probably just crazy.

Its confusing maybe, but if you do it without putting some thought into figuring things out, you will fuck up.

Basically just look through the data sheet.

clicky
October 2, 2006 12:59:12 AM

Quote:
Make it run in a pre coppermine socket 370 board?

Is it possible? I've got an old board for Mendocino celerons/early P3s and a 633MHz coppermine Celeron, is there a pinmod to make it fit?
October 2, 2006 2:15:09 PM

now i understand what to do :) 
but
what is the max voltage of the cpu?
what i will have in mhz?
and temperatures?
thanks a lot
October 3, 2006 7:40:07 AM

There are pinmods galore for the socket 370.

http://www.geocities.com/_lunchbox/articles.html

If you are gonna take the time to pinmod...might as well pinmod a tualatin celeron to get it to work in there...thats what I did with my bx133, ive had a 1.2ghz celeron at 1.6 (runing stock voltage mind you) for quite a long time.

I really don't think you will be able to take that coppermine core celeron much further, that's close to the cap of what 180nm could do. What can you get on stock voltages? BTW, 2-2.1V provided you can cool it, which shouldnt be an issue, but I have pinmoded and taken the vcore of a stubborn slot 1 piii 700 very very far....tooo far, but it still works to this day, i wouldnt be surprised if i put 2.5+V through that processor, but then again I didnt care about it.....ooo once i vmoded a pII 400 and got it to 600mhz (stable)....ah my crazy days...pinmods are so fun, everyone should do them! and brag about them years later!
October 3, 2006 8:02:57 PM

Thank you man, many regards, hope it gives me a solution because my motherboard is a M748MRT (or something like) with a SiS620 chipset and it only supports Mendocino (300-450MHz) celerons, Early P3s, and Slot1 PIIs and celerons.
In the manual there should be a jumper to switch between Mendocino celerons and PIIIs but I don't find it in the board. :lol: 
Tried the thing AS-IT-WAS on the s370 but didn't boot (hope the 2.0V hasn't killed it) and now just want to make it work, then, hopefuly OC it with FSB 100 @ 950MHz.
October 4, 2006 5:04:18 AM

Quote:
Thank you man, many regards, hope it gives me a solution because my motherboard is a M748MRT (or something like) with a SiS620 chipset and it only supports Mendocino (300-450MHz) celerons, Early P3s, and Slot1 PIIs and celerons.
In the manual there should be a jumper to switch between Mendocino celerons and PIIIs but I don't find it in the board. :lol: 
Tried the thing AS-IT-WAS on the s370 but didn't boot (hope the 2.0V hasn't killed it) and now just want to make it work, then, hopefuly OC it with FSB 100 @ 950MHz.
Good luck overclocking on a PC Chips mobo. :?
October 4, 2006 7:21:09 AM

Quote:

Your motherboard is among the most horrendous made in that era. The SIS 620 chipset, along with the PCChips conservative bios settings (to keep it stable as a cheap quality board), and the integrated video all combine to make it the worst bottleneck a PIII could have. Ditch the motherboard, an o'c CPU on it will be significantly slower than the same CPU not o'c on another board and chipset like Via 694 or 440BX, even i810 based.
October 4, 2006 7:26:59 AM

Quote:
now i understand what to do :) 
but
what is the max voltage of the cpu?
what i will have in mhz?
and temperatures?
thanks a lot

The max voltage depends on how cool you can get it, and THAT depends on how good your heatsink is. For extended use, you may also kill the motherboard trying to up the voltage too far because the current rises with voltage squared.

Frankly, this late into the P3 game I would try going the other way, to see how much you can LOWER the voltage and still keep it stable at stock speed, then make it into an internet kiosk or a fileserver.

As for reasonable values on air cooling and if your motherboard is good enough, try to keep the CPU under 1.95V, and under 65C. I doubt you'll get it up much past 1.2GHz unless it's a cD0 stepping. cC0 sometimes hit 1.2GHz OK, but even those often had a reasonable cap closer to 1.1, as did the now infamous PIII 1.13GHz.

WHY would you want to go to extremes with this CPU now? The difference in perforamnce is trivial, it'll just be a lot of time spend tweaking and monitoring cooling and checking stability, just to get a CPU that's 32% as fast as most modern ones, instead of 30% as fast.
October 4, 2006 1:53:39 PM

Hey men, don't be so bad to me,... just took a look at the documentation; the guy I ripped it from 6 years ago had bought it for $870 8O 8O 8O
October 4, 2006 1:55:57 PM

Quote:
Good luck overclocking on a PC Chips mobo. :?
It suports 100MHz FSB and you can also change it from the bios (66,100 options only). tried on the 333 celeron but didn't boot @ 500 MHz. I just have to make it accept the 633 celeron. It also supports FSB100 PIIIs by changing a GHOST jumper, which the motherboard lacks compared to the catalog.
!