combat_deity

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
lo all :D

i have recently purchased this mobo LINK
it has a physical pci-e x16 slot, but ive heard that it only suppourts pci-e x4 speed. Will i be able to run a x16 GFX card on it at reduced speed, or am i stuffed :( .

thanks in advance

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Well I almost SURE its true, the PCI-E card will run at 4x since this mobo has an AGP port too. You have 2 options but because of that, reduced speed. Anyways I dont know if it is REALLY true since I did not check the ASROCK webpage.

They specified this mobo had a Physically 16x PCI-E port, but never mentioned the speed. they should have said something like 1 PCI-E port working at 16x or something like that.

I recommend you return that mid-range board and get something a little better. Looks like you dont need something too powerful, you can go with the P5N32-SLI SE which performs good.

lo all :D

i have recently purchased this mobo LINK
it has a physical pci-e x16 slot, but ive heard that it only suppourts pci-e x4 speed. Will i be able to run a x16 GFX card on it at reduced speed, or am i stuffed :( .

thanks in advance

The PCI-E specification supports the concept of bandwidth handshaking, i.e. figuring out what bw is available and using that, so in theory it should work.

If you read the anandtech reports on that board they tested is using std 7600's and it performed as well as PCI-E 16 near as dammit.

I've seen a couple of benchmarks that show that x4 is good enough for most cards and will only effect <10% if not.

I'm upgrading soon, will let you know if you PM and ask, but there are several people on forum with that board and PCI_E from what I can tell.

combat_deity

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
yh ive just seen similar post about the same board and it will suppourt a x16 card with minimal slowdown, which is good enough for me :).