sorting of file names

In my XP, those files names that start with a digit do not arrange in
asceding order. But the alphabet file names do. For example, the file that
starts with "5" comes before those with "0" and "1".
Why is it so? Can anyone help me to resolve this problem. many thanks.

All you can do for now, is to sort manually.
Just drag them into the right order with your mouse.
OR
Substitute the digits with the alphabet.

"zhj23" <zhj23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A6940D40-F9D9-4E6A-9475-E59BC56C3FE3@microsoft.com...
> In my XP, those files names that start with a digit do not arrange in
> asceding order. But the alphabet file names do. For example, the file that
> starts with "5" comes before those with "0" and "1".
> Why is it so? Can anyone help me to resolve this problem. many thanks.

The Sort Order for Files and Folders Whose Names Contain Numerals Is
Different in Windows XP Than It Is in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319827

Use TweakUI

TweakUI
[+] Explorer
? Use intuitive filename sorting

[[If this is checked the Explorer will sort files so that, for e.g. “File 5”
comes before “File 10” because 5 comes before 10. If this is unchecked then
Explorer will use literal sorting, in which case “File 10” will come before
“File 5” because 1 comes before 5. ]]
----

Download TweakUI here >>>

Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP

Tweak UI
TweakUI.exe
-----

Tweak UI for Windows XP Guide
http://www.winxpsolution.com/Tweakuixppro.aspx

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:A6940D40-F9D9-4E6A-9475-E59BC56C3FE3@microsoft.com,
zhj23 <zhj23@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> In my XP, those files names that start with a digit do not arrange in
> asceding order. But the alphabet file names do. For example, the file
> that starts with "5" comes before those with "0" and "1".
> Why is it so? Can anyone help me to resolve this problem. many thanks.

Hello!

Thanks for your valuable information. I will either try to modify the XP
Registry Keys or download the TweakUI later in the day.

Will report my experience to you. Thanks again.

Zhj23

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> The Sort Order for Files and Folders Whose Names Contain Numerals Is
> Different in Windows XP Than It Is in Windows 2000
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319827
>
> Use TweakUI
>
> TweakUI
> [+] Explorer
> Â? Use intuitive filename sorting
>
> [[If this is checked the Explorer will sort files so that, for e.g. “File 5�
> comes before “File 10� because 5 comes before 10. If this is unchecked then
> Explorer will use literal sorting, in which case “File 10� will come before
> “File 5� because 1 comes before 5. ]]
> ----
>
> Download TweakUI here >>>
>
> Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp
>
> Tweak UI
> TweakUI.exe
> -----
>
> Tweak UI for Windows XP Guide
> http://www.winxpsolution.com/Tweakuixppro.aspx
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:A6940D40-F9D9-4E6A-9475-E59BC56C3FE3@microsoft.com,
> zhj23 <zhj23@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > In my XP, those files names that start with a digit do not arrange in
> > asceding order. But the alphabet file names do. For example, the file
> > that starts with "5" comes before those with "0" and "1".
> > Why is it so? Can anyone help me to resolve this problem. many thanks.

I just use the TweakUI tweak. :) Keep having fun.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:997E14E8-EE62-416D-9725-5D899F6C976C@microsoft.com,
zhj23 <zhj23@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hello!
>
> Thanks for your valuable information. I will either try to modify the
> XP Registry Keys or download the TweakUI later in the day.
>
> Will report my experience to you. Thanks again.
>
> Zhj23
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> The Sort Order for Files and Folders Whose Names Contain Numerals Is
>> Different in Windows XP Than It Is in Windows 2000
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319827
>>
>> Use TweakUI
>>
>> TweakUI
>> [+] Explorer
>> Â? Use intuitive filename sorting
>>
>> [[If this is checked the Explorer will sort files so that, for e.g.
>> “File 5� comes before “File 10� because 5 comes before 10.
>> If this is unchecked then Explorer will use literal sorting, in
>> which case “File 10� will come before “File 5� because 1
>> comes before 5. ]] ----
>>
>> Download TweakUI here >>>
>>
>> Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp
>>
>> Tweak UI
>> TweakUI.exe
>> -----
>>
>> Tweak UI for Windows XP Guide
>> http://www.winxpsolution.com/Tweakuixppro.aspx
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:A6940D40-F9D9-4E6A-9475-E59BC56C3FE3@microsoft.com,
>> zhj23 <zhj23@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> In my XP, those files names that start with a digit do not arrange
>>> in asceding order. But the alphabet file names do. For example, the
>>> file that starts with "5" comes before those with "0" and "1".
>>> Why is it so? Can anyone help me to resolve this problem. many
>>> thanks.

Yes. Thanks again for your enlightenment.

I downloaded TweakUI and is working beautifully now!!

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> I just use the TweakUI tweak. :) Keep having fun.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:997E14E8-EE62-416D-9725-5D899F6C976C@microsoft.com,
> zhj23 <zhj23@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Hello!
> >
> > Thanks for your valuable information. I will either try to modify the
> > XP Registry Keys or download the TweakUI later in the day.
> >
> > Will report my experience to you. Thanks again.
> >
> > Zhj23
> >
> > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
> >
> >> The Sort Order for Files and Folders Whose Names Contain Numerals Is
> >> Different in Windows XP Than It Is in Windows 2000
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319827
> >>
> >> Use TweakUI
> >>
> >> TweakUI
> >> [+] Explorer
> >> � Use intuitive filename sorting
> >>
> >> [[If this is checked the Explorer will sort files so that, for e.g.
> >> “File 5� comes before “File 10� because 5 comes before 10.
> >> If this is unchecked then Explorer will use literal sorting, in
> >> which case “File 10� will come before “File 5� because 1
> >> comes before 5. ]] ----
> >>
> >> Download TweakUI here >>>
> >>
> >> Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp
> >>
> >> Tweak UI
> >> TweakUI.exe
> >> -----
> >>
> >> Tweak UI for Windows XP Guide
> >> http://www.winxpsolution.com/Tweakuixppro.aspx
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >> Wes
> >>
> >> In news:A6940D40-F9D9-4E6A-9475-E59BC56C3FE3@microsoft.com,
> >> zhj23 <zhj23@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

Check out...
Tweak UI for Windows XP Guide
http://www.winxpsolution.com/Tweakuixppro.aspx

Not totally illuminating, but it does provide some info.

TweakUI has a lot of useful features.

Keep having fun! :)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.