New Strange ActiveSync Issue?

January 25, 2005 11:45:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync (More info?)

All of a sudden my wife (who has no PPC or ActiveSync account) gets the
Password Protected Sign On Box for my PPC when she logs on to her screen in
Windows XP Pro.
She puts in my password and it goes away.

This Password Protected Box does not even show up on my screen when I sign
on! And it's my friggin PPC!
What's up with that????????

My question is WHY is this happening on her screen?
There have been no changes to my desktop.
Is there some setting in ActiveSync that will allow me to correct this?

I have had my PPC since October and this has never happened.

Help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack Barrett
My Web Site: http://windsurf_2.tripod.com
RSG Roll Call: http://rec-sport-golf.com?rc=jack
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 11:52:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync (More info?)

Sounds like what could be happening is that your PPC and your wife's
computer are sharing the same IP. If you set up your PPC on the LAN during a
time when your wife's computer was off, then it may have assigned your PPC
the next IP in line assuming your computer is the main computer or the
routed connect computer. Activesync registered the IP and the next time your
wife logged into her computer, activesync noticed the IP and assumed it was
you on your PPC trying to log in. This is all hypothetical of course.

"Jack Barrett" <jack4450@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> All of a sudden my wife (who has no PPC or ActiveSync account) gets the
> Password Protected Sign On Box for my PPC when she logs on to her screen
in
> Windows XP Pro.
> She puts in my password and it goes away.
>
> This Password Protected Box does not even show up on my screen when I sign
> on! And it's my friggin PPC!
> What's up with that????????
>
> My question is WHY is this happening on her screen?
> There have been no changes to my desktop.
> Is there some setting in ActiveSync that will allow me to correct this?
>
> I have had my PPC since October and this has never happened.
>
> Help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jack Barrett
> My Web Site: http://windsurf_2.tripod.com
> RSG Roll Call: http://rec-sport-golf.com?rc=jack

Anonymous
January 26, 2005 12:11:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync (More info?)

Hi,
Did you choose to store the password on your desktop? As for your wife's
issue, any user of the PC with the Pocket PC in the cradle will get
prompted. This is because ActiveSync only supports one profile for the
Pocket_PC regardless of who logs in.

--
Chris De Herrera
http://www.cewindows.net

"Jack Barrett" <jack4450@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> All of a sudden my wife (who has no PPC or ActiveSync account) gets the
> Password Protected Sign On Box for my PPC when she logs on to her screen
> in Windows XP Pro.
> She puts in my password and it goes away.
>
> This Password Protected Box does not even show up on my screen when I sign
> on! And it's my friggin PPC!
> What's up with that????????
>
> My question is WHY is this happening on her screen?
> There have been no changes to my desktop.
> Is there some setting in ActiveSync that will allow me to correct this?
>
> I have had my PPC since October and this has never happened.
>
> Help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jack Barrett
> My Web Site: http://windsurf_2.tripod.com
> RSG Roll Call: http://rec-sport-golf.com?rc=jack

January 27, 2005 5:00:40 AM

In message <e6$WBW2AFHA.3708@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, "Chris De Herrera"
<chris@cewindows.net> wrote:
> Hi,
> Did you choose to store the password on your desktop? As for your wife's
> issue, any user of the PC with the Pocket PC in the cradle will get
> prompted. This is because ActiveSync only supports one profile for the
> Pocket_PC regardless of who logs in.
>

> --
> Chris De Herrera
> http://www.cewindows.net
> http://www.tabletpctalk.com
> http://www.pocketpctalk.com
> http://www.mobilitytalk.com

Chris,
With all do respect, my wife and I share a xp desktop and she logs on while
my ppc is cradled without ever being prompted by activesync. The ppc will
turn on when the desktop is first booted but only if I log on will the password
prompt appear. This is how it's been for the last 3 pocket_pc's I've owned.

!