Broken pin on a 478 now a 477 northwood.

bendarulz

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
I was fiddling around with one of my old pc's today and busted one of the pins off the cpu.Now my immediate thought was it was trashed but i figured what the hell and put it back in.To my suprise it fired up and works like notjing ever happened.My question is is this normal or will it just take sometime to crap out on me? :twisted:

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Probably broke a ground pin. Had a similar experience (only the CPU wouldn't work) and fixed it by clipping one of the pins out of a SATA connector and put it into the broken CPU pin's socket hole on the mobo.

If you're going to leave the pin out, I suggest you run some CPU burn-in software and maybe some benchmark programs to see if it will remain stable.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
It kinda got bent over and when i straightened it out it broke.Benchmarks came up fine. :D
Should be okay. Consider yourself lucky, and next time.........be careful. :wink: Handle it by the edges only, like you would(should) handle a cd/dvd.

chameleon101

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I had similar issue with amd 64 3000+removing heatsink and pulled cpu out all in one go, snapped 3 pin's but it still runs rock solid.

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
I was fiddling around with one of my old pc's today and busted one of the pins off the cpu.Now my immediate thought was it was trashed but i figured what the hell and put it back in.To my suprise it fired up and works like notjing ever happened.My question is is this normal or will it just take sometime to crap out on me? :twisted:

many pins are connected together in order to ensure stronger currents......usually groud pins and power pins are multiplicated this way...

search on the google if you can find a pinout for your 478 cpu...and identify the one you have just broken

rupert86

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
Hmmm, logically it should have been dead (physical damage). Now its working, its good as bonus. If I were you I'd consider it a bonus and as well live with it (without getting worked up). Forgive if I'm harsh but something which should have been useless by now, if working then I'd thank God and won't spend greater than 10 minutes' research on it.

bendarulz

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
I had similar issue with amd 64 3000+removing heatsink and pulled cpu out all in one go, snapped 3 pin's but it still runs rock solid.
thats exactly what happened.Changing the heatsink and fan. thanks for the input all.