Low power for motion detection / web server

whiteduck

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Hi all,

New to TG and wondered if you could help me with the following:

I currently have an Athlon 1200 running an Apache webserver and security camera (usb) monitor using Motion for Linux. This works very well and has achieved good results as well as stability (4 months uptime+) - however it is not particularly green (around 90watts+ 24x7) and I wondered if there is a cost effective replacement. VIA Eden looks interesting but I don't think it would necessarily cope with the monitoring load. I know Core Duo is here but I think the cost involved to switchover is probably too high.

Just interested in your opinions/thoughts.

Many thanks and kind regards
Ian

kitchenshark

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Unfortunately I don't have complete knowledge of low-power systems, but another processor that you could look at is the Pentium-M.

I see power usage quotes of 5watt idle to 27watt full load. The major problem arises i believe from finding motherboards for them. The processors are a bit older and may be getting harder to find along with MBs for them.

For readily available system components you could consider the new AMD low-power series Or even an old Winchester core AMD processor. With Cool-and-Quiet enabled they were only supposed to draw 8watts of power at idle. I think the Venice core is the Winchester re-vamped, but I could be wrong.

Sorry I don't have links, heading home from work.