brake fluid on pickup rollers

I ran out of my Rubber Renew rubber softening
chemical and started using brake fluid as suggested
by some posters here. It seems like it works at
least temporarily. Any comments are welcome.
Ken

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

"ken smith" <kencom@videotron.ca> wrote:
>I ran out of my Rubber Renew rubber softening
>chemical and started using brake fluid as suggested
>by some posters here. It seems like it works at
>least temporarily. Any comments are welcome.
>Ken

If it works then great, but for anybody reading this one word of caution - it
probably damages plastic immediately and severely. Can you cofirm that Ken?
Certainly rubber rejuvenator detstroys plastic.
Tony

TONY DA TIGER IS IN DA BUSINESS

Tony wrote:

>"ken smith" <kencom@videotron.ca> wrote:
>

>>I ran out of my Rubber Renew rubber softening
>>chemical and started using brake fluid as suggested
>>by some posters here. It seems like it works at
>>least temporarily. Any comments are welcome.
>>Ken
>>

>If it works then great, but for anybody reading this one word of caution - it
>probably damages plastic immediately and severely. Can you cofirm that Ken?
>Certainly rubber rejuvenator detstroys plastic.
>Tony

I haven't tried it on plastic. I know the fluid gets
on the drum but doesn't seem to do any harm
I'm just concerned that the fix may only
be temporary.
Ken

<Tony> wrote in message news:part1of1.1.MYMv4bh#KFWAlw@ue.ph...
> "ken smith" <kencom@videotron.ca> wrote:
> >I ran out of my Rubber Renew rubber softening
> >chemical and started using brake fluid as suggested
> >by some posters here. It seems like it works at
> >least temporarily. Any comments are welcome.
> >Ken
>
> If it works then great, but for anybody reading this one word of caution -
it
> probably damages plastic immediately and severely. Can you cofirm that
Ken?
> Certainly rubber rejuvenator detstroys plastic.
> Tony

davy

[
quote="Tony"]
If it works then great, but for anybody reading this one word of
caution - it
probably damages plastic immediately and severely. Can you cofirm that
Ken?
Certainly rubber rejuvenator detstroys plastic.
Tony

Perhaps what happens is, it does eat away the surface then becomming
'grippable' for a short limited time and the whole thing repeats
until there is nothing left..!

Remember well, one collegue using CarbonTetrachloride on a switch unit
in a small pocket radio - the plastic just disappeared, it was quite
comical watching his face watching it.

Davy

Brake fluid is very corrosive. This doesn't sound like a good
application for it.

ken smith wrote:
> I ran out of my Rubber Renew rubber softening
> chemical and started using brake fluid as suggested
> by some posters here. It seems like it works at
> least temporarily. Any comments are welcome.
> Ken

Yes, I have seen a plastic switch that melted when a colleague used a mix of
cleaning solvents. There are many types of plastic. The plastic parts that
hold
the rollers in place don't seem to be affected.

"Davy" <davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> [
quote="Tony"]

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 00:17:47 -0000, Tony <> wrote:

>"ken smith" <kencom@videotron.ca> wrote:
>>I ran out of my Rubber Renew rubber softening
>>chemical and started using brake fluid as suggested
>>by some posters here. It seems like it works at
>>least temporarily. Any comments are welcome.
>>Ken
>
>If it works then great, but for anybody reading this one word of caution - it
>probably damages plastic immediately and severely. Can you cofirm that Ken?
>Certainly rubber rejuvenator detstroys plastic.
>Tony

You can also use Marvel Mystery oil.

Paul
Want to Fix Something?

http://www.manuals4you.com

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

FredFarkle wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 00:17:47 -0000, Tony <> wrote:
>

>>"ken smith" <kencom@videotron.ca> wrote:
>>
>>>I ran out of my Rubber Renew rubber softening
>>>chemical and started using brake fluid as suggested
>>>by some posters here. It seems like it works at
>>>least temporarily. Any comments are welcome.
>>>Ken
>>
>>If it works then great, but for anybody reading this one word of caution - it
>>probably damages plastic immediately and severely. Can you cofirm that Ken?
>>Certainly rubber rejuvenator detstroys plastic.
>>Tony
>

> You can also use Marvel Mystery oil.
>
> Paul
> Want to Fix Something?
>
> http://www.manuals4you.com

Thanks Fred! Nice site you've got there. Good info on it.
Thanks again.
Frank

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Ken I am sure it is temporary, but temporary is a relative term.
I have seen pick up rollers rejeuvenated several times in a heavily used
printers life with great success but at some stage replacement may be necessary
as after a while some of them become spongy.
So long as it works keep doing it I guess.
Tony

"ken smith" <kencom@videotron.ca> wrote:
>I haven't tried it on plastic. I know the fluid gets
>on the drum but doesn't seem to do any harm
>I'm just concerned that the fix may only
>be temporary.
>Ken
>
><Tony> wrote in message news:part1of1.1.MYMv4bh#KFWAlw@ue.ph...
>> "ken smith" <kencom@videotron.ca> wrote:
>> >I ran out of my Rubber Renew rubber softening
>> >chemical and started using brake fluid as suggested
>> >by some posters here. It seems like it works at
>> >least temporarily. Any comments are welcome.
>> >Ken
>>
>> If it works then great, but for anybody reading this one word of caution -
>it
>> probably damages plastic immediately and severely. Can you cofirm that
>Ken?
>> Certainly rubber rejuvenator detstroys plastic.
>> Tony

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

measekite <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote:

>Tony wrote:
>
>>Ken I am sure it is temporary, but temporary is a relative term.
>>I have seen pick up rollers rejeuvenated several times in a heavily used
>>printers life with great success but at some stage replacement may be
>>necessary
>>

>*
>OF COURSE SO TONY DA TIGER CAN MAKE MONEY.*

Ken
Please send the money as agreed to inkystinky.com, my favourite charity (it
looks after backward chimpanzees and is run by a socially challenged orangutan).
the invoice is in the mail :)
Tony

>>as after a while some of them become spongy.
>>So long as it works keep doing it I guess.
>>Tony
>>
>>"ken smith" <kencom@videotron.ca> wrote:
>>

>>>I haven't tried it on plastic. I know the fluid gets
>>>on the drum but doesn't seem to do any harm
>>>I'm just concerned that the fix may only
>>>be temporary.
>>>Ken
>>>
>>><Tony> wrote in message news:part1of1.1.MYMv4bh#KFWAlw@ue.ph...

<SNIP>