Sign in with
Your question

About that time

Last response: in Systems
October 1, 2006 3:03:45 AM

I posted on here about 9-12 months ago or so asking about advice on a VGA upgrade. I never did buy that last AGP card for my system. In a way I think it was for the best because I now I am ready to do that overhaul to PCI-E.

My question is though, after doing some research and looking around, what are the advantages of DDR2 over DDR1? Some benchmarks I have seen show that in real world performance, the differences between the two are negligible.

I have also been reading about CPUs and what not. For AMD the timings of the RAM are more cruical than the MHZ. For Intel, the MHZ matter more than the timings. I personally feel that the different speeds in MHZ won't matter but the timings will. Feel free to clarify for me.

I have done multiple configurations and will be spending $500-$700 on my new system. I am leaning towards AMD64 and DDR1, but I am wanting to get some opinions first.

More about : time

October 1, 2006 11:10:13 AM

you would be better off getting ddr2. there is little performance gain between ddr400 and ddr2-533 or even 667mhz but if u get ddr then that leaves u with a bad upgrade path. im not sure but ddr2 is probly better if u wanna OC.

get a cheap C2D system if possible. preferably the e6300 on your budget.
October 1, 2006 3:46:06 PM

Giraffe is right. A 939 system with DDR1 may seem like a better choice, but in the end it will be money down the drain if you ever want to do minor upgrades.

Here are my suggestions for a build:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-965P-S3

RAM: OCZ Gold 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR2-800

Video Card: eVGA Geforce 7600GT

Case: Antec Sonata II

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 80GB SATA

Total before taxes and shipping: $730.95

I know this is a little over your budget, but this system will mop the floor with a 939/DDR1 build.
Related resources
October 1, 2006 5:44:06 PM

Quote:
Giraffe is right. A 939 system with DDR1 may seem like a better choice, but in the end it will be money down the drain if you ever want to do minor upgrades.

Here are my suggestions for a build:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-965P-S3

RAM: OCZ Gold 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR2-800

Video Card: eVGA Geforce 7600GT

Case: Antec Sonata II

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 80GB SATA

Total before taxes and shipping: $730.95

I know this is a little over your budget, but this system will mop the floor with a 939/DDR1 build.

Word. This is really good advice! I'm a Corsair Ram man, but the rest is dead on.
October 1, 2006 7:38:25 PM

I suggested the OCZ set over Corsair because Corsair's stuff is so incredibly expensive right now.
October 1, 2006 8:04:09 PM

The system that The_Prophecy configured for you is a great value with tons of headroom for both upgrades in the future & OCing. Take his advice & run with it! :D 
October 1, 2006 8:18:25 PM

Quote:
My question is though, after doing some research and looking around, what are the advantages of DDR2 over DDR1? Some benchmarks I have seen show that in real world performance, the differences between the two are negligible.

That is correct, however you should go with that Core 2 Duo system that Prophecy recommended.
October 2, 2006 8:50:00 AM

yeah the system prophicy meantened is good.

if it is out of the OP price range then he could get cheaper ram to fit it in his budget. perhaps ddr2-667
October 2, 2006 1:38:52 PM

With the Socket T CPUs, is the installation with those a lil bit involved? I have watched the video and it doesn't look hard, just very tedious and meticulous. Also, is the stock cooling on the new Intel CPUs sufficient because I do not overclock hardcore, but I have heard and read that the P4 CPUs are notorious for generating alot of heat. I also know that Intel CPUs have a higher tolerance for heat. I just do not want to install the CPU with stock and have it burn up on me you know. I mean about the only OC I have done is with the MSI D.O.T technology on my current board and I never set that higher than Capt.

On a seperate note:
Would you all recommend possibly putting in a 6800GS or 7600GS into my current system to extend it's life a little longer? My dad or brother might want my current one after I build this new one.

Current System:
AMD +3200 XP
1GB DDR333 Rosewill (I have clocked it to DDR400 for 3-5 days at multiple times and the RAM never gets hot or anything... don't ask...)
Rosewill 9600XT 256MB
MSI KT880-Delta
80GB WD Caviar 7200RPM 8MB
LITE-ON DVD-RW +/-
Samsung CD-RW 48x24x48
October 2, 2006 8:03:56 PM

Be careful with that case that The_Prophecy recommended. It's a Mid atx case and if you decide to get a new gfx card the new nvidia g80's are 11" long (An entire 2"-3" longer than a typical atx motherboard) and I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work in the Antec Sonata II because it is a mid tower case...the hard drive cage is in the way.

Perhaps look around for a good Full Tower case.
October 2, 2006 8:54:36 PM

Yeah I can play FarCry and BF2 on medium settings on my current PC with like 30-60 fps depending where I am at. Alright, I'll just leave me current one alone. This will probably just become my backup incase something happens to my new one.

That's good to know I won't need an aftermarket cooler. I have tried that Geil copper thermal paste and this off brand silver compound. I do not see the difference between the two. I still have some of that left, but I think the AS5 or the AS Ceramique would be better. What is the difference between the thermal compounds? I haven't taken thermodynamics yet and do not know why the different materials used in the paste effect heat transfer differently.
October 2, 2006 9:03:41 PM

I'm no scientist, nor do I claim to be one, but apparently the AS Ceramique has dethoned the AS5 by a degree or 2 in most cases (no pun intended, do you get it?..lol)
October 3, 2006 1:41:16 AM

Quote:
I'm no scientist, nor do I claim to be one, but apparently the AS Ceramique has dethoned the AS5 by a degree or 2 in most cases (no pun intended, do you get it?..lol)

Ya.... got it. Care to provide some benchmarks between the Ceramique and AS5? I haven't seen any that show AS5 coming up short....
!