good hs/and fan for x2 4200+

mrreality13

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
ill be stripping out a hp m7470n and the stock hs/fan seens to be less than stellar as i hate hp but the price was awsome on off the shelf $648(us) included tax ill be re using 4200+//ram//all drives and tv card am getting mb/tower/psu

I've just seen your other thread :- 4200+ x2 hits 91 c , does this mean you don't have the AMD HS/fan or did it just not get fitted correctly? I would try scraping the crappy paste off the HS & CPU applying some thermal paste and see wether this brings the temp down if it does great if not then I would look into an aftermarket solution.

Why not? if it is a stock AMD HS/fan it should have an AMD sticker in the centre of the fan if it does not then it may be some piece of crap that HP use in which case you are going to have see how much room you have in the new case and decide from there, but a 939 HS is a 939 HS the mounting bracket for the HS is the same regardless of board manufacture

I have not got/used one of those so I would not feel comfortable recommending it however the questions/criteria you need to answer/meet are 1) will this HS/fan fit my socket, I'm assuming that you have a 939, 2) will this HS/fan fit onto the board without PSU, cables or casing getting in the way, the board you linked to is a micro ATX and the CPU socket looks like it's very close to the edge of the board and there doesn’t seem to be much room between the CPU socket and the chipset HS, also why get a mobo with onboard video if you are going to use a 7600gt? I like the look of this one myself http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131569 it’s a couple of bucks more and SATA I not SATA II (but the SATA I/II thing is all BS anyway) possible issues with the chipset fan but if you plan ahead it shouldn’t be a problem. Just some of my thoughts for you :wink: have fun. Peace

mrreality13

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
because it will take me till my 4 qtr bonus at work(in nov) to have the $ for vid card BUT i see the assus has opt out which is a plus for me for sound humm now i got to re think a few things

In the meantime reseating the HS with a fresh layer of thermal paste and checking that it has a good and unobstructed airflow would be cheap and might even bring the temp down a bit eh?, and give you something to do whilst your saving up/waiting :lol:

Although I'm a bit of an Nvidia fan and I have installed a couple of 6200's and had good results, one just plays The Sims (female student at uni) the other is in my mothers rig (68 years old & not into fragging) the Ati looks to be the better card and it's cheaper so as you intend to change it later on anyway I'd pop for that one and start saving (7900GT go on you know you want to :lol: ) As for your HS, shop around and see what tickles your fancy I've got a Zalman because I liked the look of more than any cooling properties it had the fact that my CPU temp dropped 5 degrees when idle was just a bonus :lol: .

mrreality13

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
If it's a question of price/performance then the Artic cooler seems to get good things said about on the forums, the Thermalake is quite LARGE as all who have one will attest to I think and the Zalmans get slagged off for being too expensive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118223 and they might be right but I got mine for about £26 over the counter, and yes my mates daughter is at Exeter University in Devon UK not me I'm way too old and narly although I rekon I could teach them students a thing or two :wink: :lol:

jerrardo

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
COH and ATI don't play well. There are workarounds, but you won't get the performance that you see in the VGA card charts and you may end up doing some frustrating troubleshooting and tweaking. Here is just one of the many forum posts, check out the 7th reply (by Visigoth)...

http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=technical&Number=6277796&bodyprev=