1st Build - Work in Progress

drifter_888

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Okay, enough procrastinating, I know this will be a bit of a work in progress but I'm hoping you will all bare with me and help me out. It's my first build and I would like opinions, suggestions, comments, everything. I don't have all the parts picked out yet and I am looking for the best reliable parts there are.

Processor X6800
Motherboard Intel BOXD975XBXLKR
Memory Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2 675 (PC2 5400 C4)
CPU Cooler Arctic Frreezer Pro 7
PSU 650 - 750w (still undecided)
Case Interested in the TaiChi (but it is a lot of money)
probably something more reasonable
HD WD Raptor 10,000 RPM
2nd HD Probably WD or Segate 500 GB or so
Sound Soundblaster X-Fi Elite
Graphics 7950GX
Multi Card Reader
Sound Absorbtion pannels

I do have some concerns for the Intel board. It only shows that it is rated for 667 MHz RAM. However, I have been seeing post of 800 MHz performance. Does anyone know if this board will support 800 MHz RAM or if it has to be overclocked. Ideally I would like a MB that supports the 800 MHz standard. The ASUS P5W DH Deluxe seems to be the board of choice but I really don't know why. My reasoning for the intel board is stability and reliabilty. Also being my first build compatibility. Although I do like the specs of the nVidia 590 Chipset but I don't see anything out on it yet.

For the PSU more then likely Thermaltake or PC Power but still up for suggestions. (Sound also being a concern.)

I will be playing with overclocking and will probably add additional drives ... possibly 4-5 and experiment with different Raid configurations 0,1,5 and ideally 6 but it isn't supported with this board. It will primarily be a XP machine although I will try out XP 64, MS Server 2003 and eventually Vista.

My budget is high about $3-5K. I expect I will tweak fiddle and play with the system for a good 4-5 years before even considering another upgrade. So any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.