Sign in with
Your question

MotherBoard damage , what can I do,please help??

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Computer
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
October 1, 2006 8:30:37 AM

My computer 's motherboard is damaged ,I know only replacing the damaged

motherboard with another motherboard is the solution which use the most

less money ? What should I pay attention when choosing this motherboard?

On the other hand ,If I want to upgrade my computer at the same time ,

which CPU and motherboard will you suggest me to upgrade??

After changing Motherboard ,what can I do so that I don't need to reinstall

the Window XP ?

My first priority is about money.Thanks you very much!!!

My computer 's configuration

CPU : AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (333FSB)
MotherBoard : Gigabyte GA-7VM400M
RAM : Samsung 1GB DDR333-RAM
Display Card : MSI GeForce FX-5200 AGP w/128MB DDR
HardDisk : Hitachi 120GB UDMA 100
Case : HPC Middle Toer ATX Case
Power Supply: HPC 350 Watt P4 Power Supply

More about : motherboard damage

October 1, 2006 2:13:43 PM

First off, I don't know whether your processor is socket A or 754, but I'll operate under the assumption that its socket 754. Your options are as follows:

1)simply replace your current motherboard with another socket 754 board, they can easily be had for $50 US. Check the Asus K8U-X, the Biostar NF325-A7, or the Gigabyte GA-K8NS. This would be the cheapest option, as you could reuse your current processor/Video Card/RAM. It would only cost you about $60 US.

2)If you can spring for it, upgrade to Socket 939-- buy this motherboard and a 3200+, which will allow you to use your current Video card and RAM, but still be able to substantially upgrade your proc and VGA in the future. The downside is that it would cost you about $150 US, though its not so bad given the future upgradability. From what I can tell, your PSU can handle it.

Oh, and as for Windows, I'm pretty sure that you have to reinstall windows EVERY time you upgrade a motherboard, but I'm not %100.
a b V Motherboard
October 1, 2006 2:38:06 PM

he has a Athlon XP 2500+ thats Socket A.

At OP: At this point, you should archive the components of that pc and save it for prosterity. Putting another dime into something that old just isnt worth it anymore. Get a decent s939 solution, You will need new ram, board, cpu and possibly video card and power supply.
Related resources
October 1, 2006 2:41:49 PM

you only don't need tu reinstall windows if you choose a motherboard with the same chipset, wich probally isn't... so you must reinstall windows!
a b V Motherboard
October 1, 2006 2:46:02 PM

A s939 is a viable solution as long as you don't plan on upgrading for a few years. AMD's new roadmap shows that s939 will be discontinued this year making it hard to upgrade to anything other than a new platform down the road.
October 1, 2006 2:49:53 PM

Another option is to buy an Asrock 939Dual-VSTA board. That way you only have to buy a 939 processor along with the board and you can keep you AGP video card for now, then upgrade to PCI-E when you can afford it.

You may or may not have to reinstall Windows to make it work, but it would be a good idea to to it even if you don't have to.
!