Maxheadshot

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Total n00b questions here but I'm about to pull the trigger on the X6800 with the lastest Asus Premium board (590 chipset). However, this sudden chatter about the Kenstfield has me nervous. I understand that regardless of when you jump in, you will be behind the curve almost immediately but ...

Will the 590 chipset support Kentsfield? :?:

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Short anwser: you have to wait until an nForce590 Intel Edition board that's released after mid-November when they're equiped with the new C55XE MCP (Intel). This will be indicated by the motherboard's website when the time comes to differentiate between the old and new.
Or wait for DFI LANParty UT nF590SLI-T2R/G when it's released which is guaranteed to work with C2Q.

Long anwser: it's over 2 pages long...

There's absolutely no reason to get (Quad-)SLI unless you have the cash to blow on two most high-end gfx cards and nForce590 has bare any features advantage over Intel chipset. Not to mention overclocking which will be strictly limited to Intel chipsets.

>> Not to mention overclocking which will be strictly limited to Intel chipsets

Well not strictly true... C19 does overclock, but just not that much. Thats the whole reason C55 is coming out earlier, because no-one wants C19.

No-one knows for sure yet but that is a big clue that C55 will overclock better. the real question is whether it will be as good as the intel chipsets.
Also the chances are that the 2-core extreme will overclock higher than at least the first quad core because of the unlocked multiplier and less heat issues.

The other point that is been made by lots of people is that many apps/games still aren't really multi-threaded enough to allow for the degree of pralellism where you really get any benifit from 4 cores. I'm sure that will change in future but many current apps and games are still not using a lot of paralellism (threads), meaning they will mostly only run on one core anyway.

Maxheadshot

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Wusy (& Co.), thanks for the prompt and informative response. I would appreciate some additional clarification.

My intent in buying the ASUS P5N32SLI Premium is not to run quad-SLI, but I do want a board that will run the Core 2 Duo, will be capable of running SLI, and could also run Quad Core when its released in mid-Novemeber. So, essentially, I'm looking for the holy grail of foward compatibility. I understood the ASUS P5N32SLI Premium is a nForce 590 Intel Edition board but, from what your saying, the C55XE MCP (Intel) is not equiped on that board? (By the way, what exactly is the C55XE MCP and why does it allow a mobo to run Quad Core?) If I were to buy the ASUS P5N32SLI Premium, could a bios revision allow forward compatibility with Quad?

Finally, would you recommend a different board -- currently available -- which would meet my intended specs better? Thought I'm more interested in SLI than CrossFire because of the maturity of SLI -- if I was to re-evaluate that, what mobo -- currently available -- would you suggest for Core 2 Duo, CrossFire, and Quad Core later?

I've pulled the n00b trigger here and fired a ton of questions. I appreciate the time and welcome any opinions. TIA.

Maxheadshot

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
The current ASUS P5N32SLI Premium being shipped to the market uses C19, the old nForce4 SLI Intel Edition chipset, not capable of running C2Q and can't be overclocked an inch by my standards.
While C55, the real nForce590 Intel Edition chipset which is due out in early-November will have C2Q support and will be able to somewhat keep up with Intel's 975X when overclocking (but nowhere near 965P).

So a current board, for better forward compatibility supporting the items I'm after? (I typically do not OC.)

Maxheadshot

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
So, forgive my continued ignorance but you are suggesting the nForce 590 chipset, which will be released mid-November is the only board that will support everything I'm looking for.

However, I was asking if there is anything currently available (so I don't have to wait)?

Maxheadshot

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Mebbe I'm not typing as well as I should. I have NO interest in quad-SLI.

I do, however, have interest in standard SLI, current X6800 support, and potential future Kentsfield support.

Maxheadshot

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
wusy, great stuff! Many thanks. One last question on the way out the door. Of the two chipsets (965P / 975X), which, in your opinion, has the better chance at surviving the longest?

Actually, just stumbled into an article on FiringSquad talking about the differences between both chipsets running Crossfire. It looks like the 975X is the better chipset for non-OC'ers like m'self.

Firing Squad 975X vs. 965P and Crossfire