new Core 2 Duo setup

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
Howdy, I'm relatively new to Intel... so I was looking for any real critiques on my system that I'm upgrading to...

So far this is what I'm aiming for.

Intel Core 2 Duo 6300
2 GB memory (what speed and brand I'm not sure, could use help on that)
the following is already purchased:
ATI Radeon X1900XTX
300 GB Seagate
GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3
Rosewill 600 watt PSU

I'm buying these parts as I have the money so I can't buy the processor and memory immidiately. Any suggestions? Comments? Feel free and thanks in advance!

redraider_gamer

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
You seem price constrained, so we will keep that in mind. Somthing we should know:

What do you do with the computer?
Game? Which ones?
CAD?
Office?
Video Edit?
Etc.

Great Proc. Decent MB. Great Vid Card. A really good start.

Corsair PC5400 should work great. The Pro low latency could help, but you can buy the value and this rig will still fly.

Do you have a case in mind? The Gigabyte 3D Aurora Gamer is a relly good buy at the price point. Great airflow. Good mountings. Good looks.

For DVDRW - Get the NEC OEM DVD Burners. Never had one fail and they are cheap!

HD: The 300GB Seagate is good for a storage unti, but when you can afford it get one of the 10k Raptors. They do make a difference.

Sound Card: You will suck resources using this MB's onboard sound. Get the SB Audigy 2 ZS. Great price piont for the features.

My Rig:
Core 2 Duo X6800 Conroe (Stock Clock for Now)
Intel D975XBXLRK
Thermaltake Big Typhoon HSF
2 GB Corsair Pro PC6400 4-4-4-15
74GB 10k Raptor
ATI X1900XTX
SB Audigy 2 ZS
NEC DVD OEM Burners (x2)
Ultra X-Finity 600w SLi Certified PS
Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
Well I got a hell of a deal on it. 239 bucks for the ATI X1900XTX. So I definately didn't throw any money down the drain, if you think you can find a better deal, by all means point me in the right direction.

I plan to game with this rig, the case I already have, and optical drive. My understanding was that I will actually eat up system resources accessing a sound card, could be wrong. Haven't had a sound card since...96-97.

my case

EDIT:

to answer the question as to what games I am going to play...

BF2142, WoW, (along with any other MMO's that catch my eye), any good looking FPS. I play BF2 on my current setup and am not pleased with it, because I want to play on 1280x1024+ without a hiccup.

EDIT AGAIN:

I noticed that the memory I ordered requires 2.0v, as I understand I need to put in any kind of memory that requires 1.8 and switch the voltage to the memory to 2.0 save, then swap out memory.

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
Well I got a hell of a deal on it. 239 bucks for the ATI X1900XTX.

please enlighten me on this

Well I got a deal through the company I work for. I get up to 50% off on certain ATI products, one of them listed was the ATI Radeon X1900XTX