Search for DVD-R DL media

Why does this not surprise me that in my search for DVD-R DL media which is the only media that will playback on DVD setop players that are DVD-R dedicated, which is basically everyone in my family, I have only found RiData and Verbatim. :?

I've burnt some DVD+R DL that playback fine on the computer but will not playback in any setop DVD player I've tried them in, and one of the setops is brand new. :evil:

Why would they mass manufacture DVD+R DL that you can find anywhere you look on store shelves and not mass manufacture the DVD-R DL that pretty much we'll all need to playback in our setop DVD players? 8O

Seems like a Di_Di_Di for some well know brand name manufacturers! :D

Anyone else running into this? 8O

And what is your solution? 8)

So far Newegg is the only place I've found DVD-R DL media I've used Verbatim before but not RiData, anyone used RiData? and can give a reccomendation if investing in their bulk packs is a good choice as far as their quality is concerned? Thanky :wink:

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
DVD-R DL, was never suppose to be... It is not a good media type, and the problems recording/playback has been tough...

Sorry, but buy the DVD+R and get new DVD players... You will save yourself more money just on the media alone...

Might I recommend you look into DVD Rebuilder, CinemaCraft Encoder, VOBBlanker and Menushrink. And ofcourse AnyDVD...

I tend to do the following. Rip with AnyDVD and DVDShrink, setting still images for all the crap I dont want, and removing audio tracks (do not change the size with DVDShrink)... Rip to a directory and not a ISO. Run MenuShrink on the files, then VOBBlanker to get rid of all the still images you made with DVDShrink. Delete backupfiles and use DVD Rebuilder and CinemaCraft Encoder to finish it off for single layer. Quality is really good... Just watch out for more then 2.5 hours of main video, and if you want to keep extras, then set them to 50% or put them on another disk.

http://www.doom9.org/ is the place to go when asking about video, audio, media questions. If its about video, doom9 has the support to answer your questions and get you going on better quality copies.

Thanks for all that response :roll: but the programs to do the job I already have, I'm not buying new DVD players thats an absurd suggestion, we're talking 6 DVD players! Not going to happen!

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Like I said, the media isnt widely supported...

New players will work with +r dl
if you want people who know this stuff better, go to doom9

AZHeat

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
Problem is either in the way your computer is burning the DVD +R DL's, or in the fact that all your DVD players don't support it...

I've burned many +R DL's that work fine in APEX players (several types, from old 610 to more recent 1220's)

If you want to check your players for compatibility w/ media types try looking them up on this web site - at least it may give you a clue...

(ps - check the links to the left - much more stuff there that may be helpful to you if you find your players do support +R DL.)

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

Good luck!

Thanks for that link! :)

My LG is actually supposed to be able to playback DVD+R DL but it won't?

Curious?

Its also supposed to playback DVD-R DL but I think I need to find out why it won't playback the +R DL, since its supposed to.

I'm using Pinnacle Studio 10+ and so far with single layer DVD-R its results and quality have been quite stunning.

I have much more recording software to burn from but the results from Pinnacle are really great.

Most of what I'll end up sharing with family members will have to stick to DVD-R single layer which will playback in all their DVD Players, but thats from Digital Cams, and Camcorder movies and such, most being short anyway.

But I'm into capturing movies from satellite and burning them thats mainly what I'm using Pinnacle for and the need to go DL.

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
The best encoder is Cinema Craft Encoder, thoose results are REALLY stunning... I am sure it is the same that the Movie Industries Uses... it is considered the best MPEG2 encoder.

Have you tried making a single layer disk, and see if it plays in the players... if your encoding is off this will come out here...

Also the guys at Doom9 know some really great media mail order places...

Thanks for your help! I'm a little bit baffled at the moment after checking to see that my LG dvd player was supposed to be able to playback DVD+R DL, I did a little test with a +DL disk that I'd burnt as a data backup but it contained some WMV video files.

The player was able to access the video files, so it actually can playback from a +DL disk, which means the Pinnacle program I'm burning the DVDs with is probably the problem.

That distresses me a little since I've invested in a couple of software capturing programs and none seem to be the ultimate platform.

The LG player is also a DivX Player so I'm going to see if I can convert the files to DivX and then use a different program than Pinnacle to burn it to DVD media, and just use Pinnacle to capture the video.

I was already a doom9 website frequenter, but I want to Thank You! for your input, seems you were right to start with! :)

It would be great if there was one program that would do it all but each seems to have its limitations which puts us to using 2 or 3 programs to accomplish our goals, one of DivX encoding drawbacks is it doesn't encode VBR, it has to be a fixed bit rate file to encode.

Like you, I also use multiple programs to copy a DVD, but the capturing and creating a DVD seems to be a problem area when it comes to DL media, but if I can do it with +DL as you said it will be cheaper, even if it takes more time to get it done. :wink:

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
I do very little with DL media... If I do, its for distribution/test. You can go to a few places around and get your disks pressed, instead of burnt. This is best for commercial applications and are 100% compatable with EVERY DVD burner out there. The equipment needed to do this is very expensive, so its best to outsource the work. It is also more economical when you talk about doing thousands of prints.

I used different software and successfully burnt a DVD+R DL that played back perfectly in both the newer players, so software has a lot to do with whether the disk can be played back or not, both the success and the failure were burnt using the same DVD burner on the same computer setup, only the software used to make the burn was different.

Thanks Again! :wink:

TPLAT

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
If your going to be burning movies with DL media I would only buy Verbatim as for playback have you tried Nero Cd/Dvd Speed Tools to change the booktype of +R DL media to be read as Dvd-Rom? Your dvd burner may or may not support bitsetting. If you want a cheap basic dvd player that will play just about all formats check out Panasonics basic S1S model. As for Ritek never used it and prefer to stick with what I have never had a problem with and that Verbatim +R DL, I also dont burn DL media faster then 4X, I get a higher quality score useing the Nero program mentioned or PlexTools Professional.

TPLAT

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
If your going to be burning movies with DL media I would only buy Verbatim as for playback have you tried Nero Cd/Dvd Speed Tools to change the booktype of +R DL media to be read as Dvd-Rom? Your dvd burner may or may not support bitsetting. If you want a cheap basic dvd player that will play just about all formats check out Panasonics basic S1S model. As for Ritek never used it and prefer to stick with what I have never had a problem with and that Verbatim +R DL, I also dont burn DL media faster then 4X, I get a higher quality score useing the Nero program mentioned or PlexTools Professional.