May 11, 2004
Ok,

I got 2 NEW ASROCK 775 DUAL VSTA Mobos.
BIOS - 1.40 on both

If I try S3 Standby and resume, everything is OK. If I restart the PC, I get:

BIOS CHECKSUM BAD
PRESS F* TO LOAD DEFAULTS AND CONTINUE.

BIOS updating to 1.90 didn't work.

The only workaround is to use S1 sleep mode, where the HDD and the monitor is off but fans are ON.

Also, the PC's I used this mobo in are BRAND NEW - I just freshly assembled them myself with all NEW parts. And doh! - I ain't a noob at PC asembling.

I have seen another mobo that has BIOS 1.60 and S3 works on that. Tried downloading BIOS 1.60 from ASROCK site , but site is down for BIOS downloads.

RMA might seem solution but I just can't keep on buying and RMA'ing. What if the ones I order are 1.40 ones?

Ok,

I got 2 NEW ASROCK 775 DUAL VSTA Mobos.
BIOS - 1.40 on both

If I try S3 Standby and resume, everything is OK. If I restart the PC, I get:

BIOS CHECKSUM BAD
PRESS F* TO LOAD DEFAULTS AND CONTINUE.

BIOS updating to 1.90 didn't work.

The only workaround is to use S1 sleep mode, where the HDD and the monitor is off but fans are ON.

Also, the PC's I used this mobo in are BRAND NEW - I just freshly assembled them myself with all NEW parts. And doh! - I ain't a noob at PC asembling.

I have seen another mobo that has BIOS 1.60 and S3 works on that. Tried downloading BIOS 1.60 from ASROCK site , but site is down for BIOS downloads.

RMA might seem solution but I just can't keep on buying and RMA'ing. What if the ones I order are 1.40 ones?

I think that the mobo may not support that level of sleep, mine will go to a position where the fans are on, but I can find no bios settings that will allow a 'deeper' state of sleep.

How are you forcing to an S3 state? I will try it on mine and we can see whether it is a more general problem.

zahid

Distinguished
May 11, 2004
:) It's you , eh?

To force S3 sleep mode, I do this >

START > CONTROL PANEL > POWER OPTIONS > Power Schemes - LOW POWER MANAGEMENT.

There's also a funny thing if KEYBOARD POWER ON - ENABLED in BIOS and the above is done. If u press on your keyboard when the PC is switched off ... the PC will switch ON. Creepy!

:) It's you , eh?

To force S3 sleep mode, I do this >

START > CONTROL PANEL > POWER OPTIONS > Power Schemes - LOW POWER MANAGEMENT.

There's also a funny thing if KEYBOARD POWER ON - ENABLED in BIOS and the above is done. If u press on your keyboard when the PC is switched off ... the PC will switch ON. Creepy!

left mine in laptop mode, so that I have the 6x multi available, will test what you do tomorrow, and see what happens. I was hoping to be able to put it to sleep, but so far I can't without having the fans still on.

Will let you know how I get on.

yquo

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Bought 2 days ago an ASRock 775i65G bios 2.20 it had a problem with sata drives, solution bios update, link to the bios in asrock page are broken.

My way around was to google the full name of the bios in my case 775i65G(2.70)Win.zip and I found what seems to be korean site of asrock named aswin. Downloaded the bios and updated with no problems.

The issue with the hard drive is somehow solved, but I still have an issue with soft reboot and sometimes startup, but never the less is working.

So my advice is search for the latest bios of your motherboard and try to download it from that page, of course be sure what you're downloading.

Greets

Here is the link from that page for bios 1.60

http://www.aswin.co.kr/board/index.html?imode=view&D=4&c_id=36730&my_mode=&search_1=&search_2=&start=20&where=

http://www.aswin.co.kr/board/up/1155695751-775Dual-VSTA(1.60).zip

copy the address to your address box else it won't work

this is the dos version, create a bootable floppy and unzip the content of the zip in the floppy disk.

zahid

Distinguished
May 11, 2004
I found what seems to be korean site of asrock named aswin

Ok, one prob - the link u gave is for DOS version. Erm... I don't have a floppy drive :lol:

Got the Windows one from the site though. Thanks.

And btw, well done for finding the BIOS and sharing it here.

Btw, is BIOS updating via Windows worse than BIOS updating via DOS?

yquo

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
In theory it should always be better to update the bios from DOS because it is a real time OS, or at least that is what I have read, and from my experience I believe is better if you could update the bios from a fat32 hard drive instead of the floppy.

That is you boot DOS from a floppy or cd and then flash from a fat32 drive or partition where you put the flashing program and bios. This way you flash the bios faster, 1/4 the time as from the floppy, for me faster is safer because if you have an energy failure it can screw the bios, so if you reduce the time it takes to flash you reduce the risk of screwing it, I guess.

In the 2 address I gave you the first one is the link to the page where there are both links to the bios, the DOS and the windows one.

Anyway the link to the windows one is

http://www.aswin.co.kr/board/up/1155695751-775Dual-VSTA(1.60)Win.zip

BTW I'm not korean but the page is understandable.

zahid

Distinguished
May 11, 2004
:eek: :)

Problem has been fixed.

ASROCK site is back again for downloading BIOSes.

So, I just used AFUWIN from Windows to flash the BIOS to 1.60. Restarted PC and now, PC can sleep in S3 mode. No need to set manually in Windows any more.

CAUTION : 1.90 doesn't reslove S3 sleeping problems. Only 1.60 does.