Starting Build next Saturday..please review the build..thx

XataX

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Hello everyone,

I have been a long time lurker on these forums and an avid computer enthusiast.

Last, I built a system was 3 years ago with AMD Athlon 3000+. With the introduction of the Core 2 Duo from Intel, I have been planning on building a new system based on it.

I have ordered some of the parts in the configuration below. My budget is $1300 inclusive of all components. Please review them and give me your suggestions and advice.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (already brought)
Motherboard: Gigabyte-GA965P-DS3 motherboard
PSU: Enhance ENP-5150GH 500W ATX12V Rev.2.2 (24/20+8/4+6), 80+ RoHS, Quiet PSU (already brought)
Case: Want to know your suggestions. I want a good, clean case which is easy to work with and which is in the range ($60-$70)
RAM: Patriot Signature 2x1GB PC5400 DDR2 667 CL4
Graphics Card: Sapphire X1900XT 256 MB (already brought)
HDD: Seagate 7200 rpm 300GB SATA2 (already brought)
CD/DVD drive: NEC DVD/RW 16x

Monitor: Hamms-G 194D 19" LCD 8 ms (already brought)
Keyboard: Saitek Eclipse II (already brought)
Mouse: Logitech LX7 Optical 1600 dpi (already brought)

+ Artic Silver 5.

This rig will be used primarily for hardcore gaming; All the latest and best titles including upcoming ones.

Retroldschooler

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Hi Xatax, I just built myself a Pentium 805 overclocked rig, and I choose this particular case, because it's a no-nonsense one, no widgets and no Neon, just pure american steel lol. It got 2 expansion for the 120mm fan and its not pricey, It feel really solid too, not the plastic feeling case you can get with clear panel... air flow is optimal for this price range and It also has tool less design that is really efficient. Check it out if it correspond to your needs.

- American link
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1178030&CatId=0
- Canadian link
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1178030&CatId=0

XataX

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Thanks a lot for your replies, guys.

I really appretiate them.

WR2 -
About the amount left: About $430 left to split between RAM/Motherboard/Case and CD/DVD RW

YourMothersAnAstronaut -
Whcih version of Coolermaster Centurion you are talking about; Version 5?
Do you have a link?
I'd really like a Lian-Li, but they are so expensive...

Retroldschooler -
Yes the case looks functional, but I would like something a bit flashier ;-)

Guys, What are your opinions on cases from NZXT?
I am also open to case designs which are plain looking but have a side window.

I saw the motherboard and RAM you wanted at www.directcanada.com
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 $174.90
Patriot Signature PC2-5300 2GB $243.80

I figure that leaves you about $11.30 for a case. Now where was that article on making a home built case out of a card board box... hmmmmm.

XataX

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
WR2-
Well on newegg the mobo is like $146.99.
For the RAM I have decided to relax the timing criteria a bit and go for CL5, which is $220.

As for the rest I will spend that on CD/DVD RW drive and the case. I am willing to go $50 above the budget if I can fit in something that is a must have.

If I was that good with the cardboard, I wouldn't have asked you guys ;-)

GigabyteRules-
Why a DQ6? I know it has a lot of features quad-eveything ...but the mobo I've selected is quite stable and a good overclocker from what I hear.