word

November 20, 2004 11:33:08 AM

Hi everyone

I need some advice or help. I am currently doing an internet IT course and
my tutor said he cannot accept any more Works Word documents. He can only
accept word or excel docs. Is there any way of downloading word or excel
with existing Xp programs and if so where can i get it. Or is it in the
system.

Any help appreciated (I have limited user knowledge hence the course).

Thanks
--
bob carolgees

More about : word

Anonymous
November 20, 2004 12:15:46 PM

For the best bang-for-your-buck, you could upgrade to the Works Suite, which
contains a full version of Word, not the old version that comes with Works.
Last I looked it was Word 2002, but I don't know that hasn't been upgraded
to 2003 by now. Or you can just purchase Word 2003, which you qualify for
an upgrade price for since you have Works.
--
Patty MacDuffie
www.computerhaven.info

"d7" <d7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone
>
> I need some advice or help. I am currently doing an internet IT course
> and
> my tutor said he cannot accept any more Works Word documents. He can only
> accept word or excel docs. Is there any way of downloading word or excel
> with existing Xp programs and if so where can i get it. Or is it in the
> system.
>
> Any help appreciated (I have limited user knowledge hence the course).
>
> Thanks
> --
> bob carolgees
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 12:47:17 PM

Neither Microsoft Word or Excel is not available to download.

1) Go to store/shop that sells computer software.

2) Purchase either Microsoft Excel and Word or a Microsoft Office
suite that contains them.

3) Return home.

4) Insert installation CD in PC's CD drive and follow the on-screen
prompts and instructions to install application and desired additional
features.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"d7" <d7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone
>
> I need some advice or help. I am currently doing an internet IT
> course and
> my tutor said he cannot accept any more Works Word documents. He
> can only
> accept word or excel docs. Is there any way of downloading word or
> excel
> with existing Xp programs and if so where can i get it. Or is it in
> the
> system.
>
> Any help appreciated (I have limited user knowledge hence the
> course).
>
> Thanks
> --
> bob carolgees
November 20, 2004 1:43:02 PM

"d7" wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> I need some advice or help. I am currently doing an internet IT course and
> my tutor said he cannot accept any more Works Word documents. He can only
> accept word or excel docs. Is there any way of downloading word or excel
> with existing Xp programs and if so where can i get it. Or is it in the
> system.
>
> Any help appreciated (I have limited user knowledge hence the course).
>
> Thanks
> --
> bob carolgees
Ask the tutor if he will accept pdf documents. If yes, then download and
install Win2PDF. It will insatall as a "printer" on your system. Open the
document that you want to convert and Print using the Win2PDF "Printer"
Forward the pdf to the tutor. http://www.win2pdf.com Its free. Other
versions are priced.
November 20, 2004 2:23:31 PM

No, however go get the Students and Teachers version of Office.
It cost about $160.00 anywhere.
If your lucky you can get S&T Ver. of Office XP for $129.00 if you can still
find it on the shelf.
The XP version only allows you to install it on one machine though.
The 2003 version allows you to install it on several machines ie. a notebook
you take to class and a desktop you use at home etc.
Which I guess justifies the additional price hike.

"d7" <d7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone
>
> I need some advice or help. I am currently doing an internet IT course
and
> my tutor said he cannot accept any more Works Word documents. He can only
> accept word or excel docs. Is there any way of downloading word or excel
> with existing Xp programs and if so where can i get it. Or is it in the
> system.
>
> Any help appreciated (I have limited user knowledge hence the course).
>
> Thanks
> --
> bob carolgees
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 3:27:32 PM

Some versions of Works will allow you to save as Word documents. Have you expanded
the save as, files of type...?

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"d7" <d7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone
>
> I need some advice or help. I am currently doing an internet IT course and
> my tutor said he cannot accept any more Works Word documents. He can only
> accept word or excel docs. Is there any way of downloading word or excel
> with existing Xp programs and if so where can i get it. Or is it in the
> system.
>
> Any help appreciated (I have limited user knowledge hence the course).
>
> Thanks
> --
> bob carolgees
November 20, 2004 3:27:33 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/prodinfo/trial...
Ordering a trial Office 2003 CD would be another option as it allows you to
use it for 30 days without payment.
Perhaps you could get past this moron professor in that amount of time.
Any Prof. that insists on Microsoft compatible file formats is a moron and
anyone who disputes this would be a moron to.
He or she should except Open Office, Works, Word, Word Perfect, text files
etc. unless he/she is teaching a course specifically in Microsoft Word or
Excel.
I have no idea how long it takes for Microsoft to ship this CD as I've never
ordered it.
If all you need is Word and Excel I'd get the Students and Teachers version
as you'll have to pay full price to activate this trial version once it
expires.

"Mary Sauer" <gsauer@mycolumbus.rr.com> wrote in message
news:o 9xb5YyzEHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Some versions of Works will allow you to save as Word documents. Have you
expanded
> the save as, files of type...?
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MS MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://www.msauer.mvps.org/
> "d7" <d7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi everyone
> >
> > I need some advice or help. I am currently doing an internet IT course
and
> > my tutor said he cannot accept any more Works Word documents. He can
only
> > accept word or excel docs. Is there any way of downloading word or
excel
> > with existing Xp programs and if so where can i get it. Or is it in the
> > system.
> >
> > Any help appreciated (I have limited user knowledge hence the course).
> >
> > Thanks
> > --
> > bob carolgees

Anonymous
November 20, 2004 3:29:26 PM

I have Works and found in the word processor that going to File>Save as...
has Word 6.0 and Word 97 in the list of "save as file type". Check to see
if your version has this. If so, send a test document to your teacher to
see if this in fact does the job.

Malv

"d7" <d7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone
>
> I need some advice or help. I am currently doing an internet IT course
and
> my tutor said he cannot accept any more Works Word documents. He can only
> accept word or excel docs. Is there any way of downloading word or excel
> with existing Xp programs and if so where can i get it. Or is it in the
> system.
>
> Any help appreciated (I have limited user knowledge hence the course).
>
> Thanks
> --
> bob carolgees
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 3:55:46 PM

In news:CFC964B9-4B2D-4016-901F-3243C38AE91C@microsoft.com,
d7 <d7@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I need some advice or help. I am currently doing an internet
> IT
> course and my tutor said he cannot accept any more Works Word
> documents. He can only accept word or excel docs. Is there
> any way
> of downloading word or excel with existing Xp programs and if
> so
> where can i get it. Or is it in the system.

Sorry, no. Neither Word nor Excel comes with Windows, and they
are not legally available for download anywhere. If you need both
Word and Excel, you'll need to buy a copy of Microsoft Office,
which includes both. If you just need Word, the cheapest way to
get it is to buy a copy of Microsoft Works Suite (note the word
"suite"; regular Works doesn't come with Word).

Alternatively, there are several other other packages which can
produce .doc files--Word format files: for example WordPerfect
Office, StarOffice, and the freeware OpenOffice. Since Open
OpenOffice is free (google for it) why don't you try that first
to see if it meets your needs. If not, try StarOffice next (I
think that's around $20 or so).

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 6:38:47 PM

Bruce Chambers wrote:
> Neither Microsoft Word or Excel is not available to download.

<snip>

So in other words, both *are* available for download?
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 6:56:53 PM

Save and turn your documents in the format your teacher
wants. WORKS can do that by using the "save as" command to
save a copy of the file in the .doc or .xls format. WORKS
does not support all the formatting or functions of the
OFFICE suite. If you want OFFICE compatibility and power,
try OPEN OFFICE free
from www.openoffice.org

"d7" <d7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Hi everyone
|
| I need some advice or help. I am currently doing an
internet IT course and
| my tutor said he cannot accept any more Works Word
documents. He can only
| accept word or excel docs. Is there any way of
downloading word or excel
| with existing Xp programs and if so where can i get it.
Or is it in the
| system.
|
| Any help appreciated (I have limited user knowledge hence
the course).

| Thanks
| --
| bob carolgees
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 7:41:37 PM

Hi

If you have to use either MS Word or MS Excel, you will need to purchase
them:

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/office/howtobuy/default.msp...

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

"d7" <d7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone
>
> I need some advice or help. I am currently doing an internet IT course
> and
> my tutor said he cannot accept any more Works Word documents. He can only
> accept word or excel docs. Is there any way of downloading word or excel
> with existing Xp programs and if so where can i get it. Or is it in the
> system.
>
> Any help appreciated (I have limited user knowledge hence the course).
>
> Thanks
> --
> bob carolgees
November 20, 2004 9:33:54 PM

Microsoft Word is no different than any other program, if you want it you
have to buy it. You cannot legally get Word for free.

"d7" <d7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Hi everyone

I need some advice or help. I am currently doing an internet IT course and
my tutor said he cannot accept any more Works Word documents. He can only
accept word or excel docs. Is there any way of downloading word or excel
with existing Xp programs and if so where can i get it. Or is it in the
system.

Any help appreciated (I have limited user knowledge hence the course).

Thanks
--
bob carolgees
November 21, 2004 12:01:23 AM

Uhhh, HE'S a moron?

"Bernie" <simmons@classicnet.net> wrote in message
news:o L6ZfiyzEHA.3416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
| http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/prodinfo/trial...
| Ordering a trial Office 2003 CD would be another option as it
allows you to
| use it for 30 days without payment.

Have you ever used that?

| Perhaps you could get past this moron professor in that amount
of time.
| Any Prof. that insists on Microsoft compatible file formats is
a moron and
| anyone who disputes this would be a moron to.

Really? He's teaching a Word class, and he should accept .txt
files? Or .rtf? Or .mac? Or ... ?
You said: "anyone who disputes this would be a moron to". Would
be a moron to what? Kind of an idiotic statement, IMO.

| He or she should except Open Office, Works, Word, Word Perfect,
text files
| etc. unless he/she is teaching a course specifically in
Microsoft Word or
| Excel.

Well, make up your mind: You seem so positive, you must know
whether it's specifically MS Word or ...? Do you know what their
assignments consists of? Of course you don't, so you can't
answer that. Moron.

| I have no idea how long it takes for Microsoft to ship this CD
as I've never
| ordered it.

So? What does that do to the price of tea?

| If all you need is Word and Excel I'd get the Students and
Teachers version

Word AND Excel? Why? The OP said Word OR Excel.

| as you'll have to pay full price to activate this trial version
once it
| expires.

He will "have to pay full price to activate this trial version "?
I don't THINK so! All it does is quit: There is no
requirementto pay for it if you don't want it.

Youse needs ta git sum more larnin' cause youse all sounds like a
maroon ta mee.

Pop

| "Mary Sauer" <gsauer@mycolumbus.rr.com> wrote in message
| news:o 9xb5YyzEHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| > Some versions of Works will allow you to save as Word
documents. Have you
| expanded
| > the save as, files of type...?
| >
| > --
| > Mary Sauer MS MVP
| > http://office.microsoft.com/
| > http://www.msauer.mvps.org/
| > "d7" <d7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > > Hi everyone
| > >
| > > I need some advice or help. I am currently doing an
internet IT course
| and
| > > my tutor said he cannot accept any more Works Word
documents. He can
| only
| > > accept word or excel docs. Is there any way of downloading
word or
| excel
| > > with existing Xp programs and if so where can i get it. Or
is it in the
| > > system.
| > >
| > > Any help appreciated (I have limited user knowledge hence
the course).

| > > Thanks
| > > --
| > > bob carolgees

November 21, 2004 12:05:54 AM

I suspect, since he's saying Word OR Excel, that they must be
working with tables and functions. Does Open Office handle those
reliably?

Also, for the uninitiated, Open Office, though it's purported to
be a great app, is also a HUGE app to download, especially on a
dialup.

Regars,

Pop

"Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in
message news:%23ok7Aw0zEHA.3976@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
| Save and turn your documents in the format your teacher
| wants. WORKS can do that by using the "save as" command to
| save a copy of the file in the .doc or .xls format. WORKS
| does not support all the formatting or functions of the
| OFFICE suite. If you want OFFICE compatibility and power,
| try OPEN OFFICE free
| from www.openoffice.org
|

| --
| The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
| But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
|

| "d7" <d7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|| Hi everyone
|| I need some advice or help. I am currently doing an
| internet IT course and
|| my tutor said he cannot accept any more Works Word
| documents. He can only
|| accept word or excel docs. Is there any way of
| downloading word or excel
|| with existing Xp programs and if so where can i get it.
| Or is it in the
|| system.
|| Any help appreciated (I have limited user knowledge hence
| the course).
|| Thanks
|| --
|| bob carolgees

November 21, 2004 10:55:46 AM

I am not dead sure but Open Office may be able save in a format that Word can
read - as Open Office reads all Word and Excel docs - try it and see as it is
free. Alternatively you can probably buy one of the non-latest versions of MS
Office on ebay for very little.

Also check if you use Word at work - if you do MS lets you have a copy for use
at home (still?)

As a last resort you could buy a students copy of office,

David

d7 wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> I need some advice or help. I am currently doing an internet IT course and
> my tutor said he cannot accept any more Works Word documents. He can only
> accept word or excel docs. Is there any way of downloading word or excel
> with existing Xp programs and if so where can i get it. Or is it in the
> system.
>
> Any help appreciated (I have limited user knowledge hence the course).
>
> Thanks
> --
> bob carolgees
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 12:37:50 PM

Pop wrote:
> I suspect, since he's saying Word OR Excel, that they must be
> working with tables and functions. Does Open Office handle those
> reliably?
>
> Also, for the uninitiated, Open Office, though it's purported to
> be a great app, is also a HUGE app to download, especially on a
> dialup.
>
> Regars,
>
> Pop
>

> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in
> message news:%23ok7Aw0zEHA.3976@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> | Save and turn your documents in the format your teacher
> | wants. WORKS can do that by using the "save as" command to
> | save a copy of the file in the .doc or .xls format. WORKS
> | does not support all the formatting or functions of the
> | OFFICE suite. If you want OFFICE compatibility and power,
> | try OPEN OFFICE free
> | from www.openoffice.org
> |

> | --
> | The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
> | But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
> |

> | "d7" <d7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> || Hi everyone
> || I need some advice or help. I am currently doing an
> | internet IT course and
> || my tutor said he cannot accept any more Works Word
> | documents. He can only
> || accept word or excel docs. Is there any way of
> | downloading word or excel
> || with existing Xp programs and if so where can i get it.
> | Or is it in the
> || system.
> || Any help appreciated (I have limited user knowledge hence
> | the course).
> || Thanks
> || --
> || bob carolgees

Open Office handles tables and functions just fine. Also, though you're
correct that Open Office is a large (~50mb) download, it's available on
CD at nominal cost from the Open Office website. It's also available
very cheap on eBay: http://tinyurl.com/5awup
November 22, 2004 11:41:04 AM

Your the moron.
You've systematically taken every sentence I wrote out of context and
responded to each individually without taking any of the other sentences
into consideration.
No I've never used the trial version, however if you need it beyond the
expiration period you have to pay for it. Any reasonable idiot, such as
yourself, could also conclude that if you don't want to purchase it that's
OK, it'll just stop working.
Not once did the original poster say he's taking a course in Word. He said
he's taking an Internet IT Tech course and the Prof. demands homework in one
specific format.
Microsoft has a lock on the software most institutions of higher education
use and it's moronic to insist that poor college students have to purchase
and use Office.
In one recent class I took, not only did we have to purchase Office we were
also required to purchase over a $1000.00 worth of fonts that did not come
with Office if the assignments were to be done correctly.
So I'm speaking as someone who has recently been through the wringer on this
and came out the other side pretty damned pissed. Whenever I work on a
computer these days and someone asks me about Office software I will always
recommend Open Office and I'll even give them a CD-R with Sun Java and Open
Office on it.
Pop's, you wouldn't happen to be one of those moron college Prof.'s who's
brain has been purchased and programmed by Microsoft would you? My Unix and
Linux Prof.'s warned me about guys like you.

"Pop" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message
news:o Ggm#32zEHA.1452@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Uhhh, HE'S a moron?
>
> "Bernie" <simmons@classicnet.net> wrote in message
> news:o L6ZfiyzEHA.3416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> | http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/prodinfo/trial...
> | Ordering a trial Office 2003 CD would be another option as it
> allows you to
> | use it for 30 days without payment.
>
> Have you ever used that?
>
> | Perhaps you could get past this moron professor in that amount
> of time.
> | Any Prof. that insists on Microsoft compatible file formats is
> a moron and
> | anyone who disputes this would be a moron to.
>
> Really? He's teaching a Word class, and he should accept .txt
> files? Or .rtf? Or .mac? Or ... ?
> You said: "anyone who disputes this would be a moron to". Would
> be a moron to what? Kind of an idiotic statement, IMO.
>
> | He or she should except Open Office, Works, Word, Word Perfect,
> text files
> | etc. unless he/she is teaching a course specifically in
> Microsoft Word or
> | Excel.
>
> Well, make up your mind: You seem so positive, you must know
> whether it's specifically MS Word or ...? Do you know what their
> assignments consists of? Of course you don't, so you can't
> answer that. Moron.
>
> | I have no idea how long it takes for Microsoft to ship this CD
> as I've never
> | ordered it.
>
> So? What does that do to the price of tea?
>
> | If all you need is Word and Excel I'd get the Students and
> Teachers version
>
> Word AND Excel? Why? The OP said Word OR Excel.
>

> | as you'll have to pay full price to activate this trial version
> once it
> | expires.
>
> He will "have to pay full price to activate this trial version "?
> I don't THINK so! All it does is quit: There is no
> requirementto pay for it if you don't want it.
>
> Youse needs ta git sum more larnin' cause youse all sounds like a
> maroon ta mee.
>

> Pop
>

> | "Mary Sauer" <gsauer@mycolumbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> | news:o 9xb5YyzEHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> | > Some versions of Works will allow you to save as Word
> documents. Have you
> | expanded
> | > the save as, files of type...?
> | >
> | > --
> | > Mary Sauer MS MVP
> | > http://office.microsoft.com/
> | > http://www.msauer.mvps.org/
> | > "d7" <d7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> internet IT course
> | and
> documents. He can
> | only
> word or
> | excel
> is it in the

> the course).

Anonymous
November 22, 2004 12:13:17 PM

Sounds more like the college is acting like a jerk. Any
college professor should be able to work around any
application. Fonts, who cares about fonts in a college.
You can write your own and there are a ton of free fonts.

| Your the moron.
| You've systematically taken every sentence I wrote out of
context and
| responded to each individually without taking any of the
other sentences
| into consideration.
| No I've never used the trial version, however if you need
it beyond the
| expiration period you have to pay for it. Any reasonable
idiot, such as
| yourself, could also conclude that if you don't want to
purchase it that's
| OK, it'll just stop working.
| Not once did the original poster say he's taking a course
in Word. He said
| he's taking an Internet IT Tech course and the Prof.
demands homework in one
| specific format.
| Microsoft has a lock on the software most institutions of
higher education
| use and it's moronic to insist that poor college students
have to purchase
| and use Office.
| In one recent class I took, not only did we have to
purchase Office we were
| also required to purchase over a $1000.00 worth of fonts
that did not come
| with Office if the assignments were to be done correctly.
| So I'm speaking as someone who has recently been through
the wringer on this
| and came out the other side pretty damned pissed.
Whenever I work on a
| computer these days and someone asks me about Office
software I will always
| recommend Open Office and I'll even give them a CD-R with
Sun Java and Open
| Office on it.
| Pop's, you wouldn't happen to be one of those moron
college Prof.'s who's
| brain has been purchased and programmed by Microsoft would
you? My Unix and
| Linux Prof.'s warned me about guys like you.
|
| "Pop" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message
| news:o Ggm#32zEHA.1452@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
| > Uhhh, HE'S a moron?
| >
| > "Bernie" <simmons@classicnet.net> wrote in message
| > news:o L6ZfiyzEHA.3416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
| > |
http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/prodinfo/trial...
| > | Ordering a trial Office 2003 CD would be another
option as it
| > allows you to
| > | use it for 30 days without payment.
| >
| > Have you ever used that?
| >
| > | Perhaps you could get past this moron professor in
that amount
| > of time.
| > | Any Prof. that insists on Microsoft compatible file
formats is
| > a moron and
| > | anyone who disputes this would be a moron to.
| >
| > Really? He's teaching a Word class, and he should
accept .txt
| > files? Or .rtf? Or .mac? Or ... ?
| > You said: "anyone who disputes this would be a moron
to". Would
| > be a moron to what? Kind of an idiotic statement, IMO.
| >
| > | He or she should except Open Office, Works, Word, Word
Perfect,
| > text files
| > | etc. unless he/she is teaching a course specifically
in
| > Microsoft Word or
| > | Excel.
| >
| > Well, make up your mind: You seem so positive, you must
know
| > whether it's specifically MS Word or ...? Do you know
what their
| > assignments consists of? Of course you don't, so you
can't
| > answer that. Moron.
| >
| > | I have no idea how long it takes for Microsoft to ship
this CD
| > as I've never
| > | ordered it.
| >
| > So? What does that do to the price of tea?
| >
| > | If all you need is Word and Excel I'd get the Students
and
| > Teachers version
| >
| > Word AND Excel? Why? The OP said Word OR Excel.
| >

| > | as you'll have to pay full price to activate this
trial version
| > once it
| > | expires.
| >
| > He will "have to pay full price to activate this trial
version "?
| > I don't THINK so! All it does is quit: There is no
| > requirementto pay for it if you don't want it.
| >
| > Youse needs ta git sum more larnin' cause youse all
sounds like a
| > maroon ta mee.
| >

| > Pop

| > |
| > | "Mary Sauer" <gsauer@mycolumbus.rr.com> wrote in
message
| > | news:o 9xb5YyzEHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
Word
| > documents. Have you
| > | expanded

an
| > internet IT course
| > | and
| > documents. He can
| > | only
downloading
| > word or
| > | excel
get it. Or
| > is it in the

knowledge hence
| > the course).

| > |
| > |

November 22, 2004 1:04:42 PM

It may be a huge download, but for only a few dollars you can buy a PC
mag with a CD that has Open Office on it - or borrow a copy from the
library if you are short of cash

David

Pop wrote:

> I suspect, since he's saying Word OR Excel, that they must be
> working with tables and functions. Does Open Office handle those
> reliably?
>
> Also, for the uninitiated, Open Office, though it's purported to
> be a great app, is also a HUGE app to download, especially on a
> dialup.

Anonymous
November 22, 2004 1:04:43 PM

David <david1133@REMOVE-TO-REPLYoptusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:<41A11F01.697606B9@REMOVE-TO-REPLYoptusnet.com.au>...
> It may be a huge download, but for only a few dollars you can buy a PC
> mag with a CD that has Open Office on it - or borrow a copy from the
> library if you are short of cash
>
> David
>
> Pop wrote:
>
> > I suspect, since he's saying Word OR Excel, that they must be
> > working with tables and functions. Does Open Office handle those
> > reliably?
> >
> > Also, for the uninitiated, Open Office, though it's purported to
> > be a great app, is also a HUGE app to download, especially on a
> > dialup.

Hello, The free version of OpenOffice v1.1.3 cd can be ordered for the
cost of shipping from any of the alt. software org.sources. I ordered
one from StormanNorman.com. It was a 146mb installation. Since I
downloaded the SP3 MS Office2000 update had several problems one that
to date has not been resolved.
OpenOffice has file extensions but you can set the program to use MS
Office file extensions, if you share files, plan to use both programs
or remove OpenOffice this allows the files to be read by MS Office.
I have arrived at the point that I am installing backup applications
for everything.
Take Care.
beamish.
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 12:52:32 PM

Hi Bernie

Yep, you really got screwed over by that lecturer - no lecturer worth his/her
salt would dream of insisting students spend that sort of money for fonts - no
wonder piracy flourishes. Hope you and the other students protested to the Uni
admin - that teacher needs a kick in the butt for sure.

I lectured for some years at Uni, but like most of my colleages was very much
aware of how 'poor' most of our students were in terms of what they could spend
on texts etc, and always took price into consideration when choosing essential
texts etc - and made sure the Uni library stocked the texts for those students
who were really struggling financially.

David

Bernie wrote:

> In one recent class I took, not only did we have to purchase Office we were
> also required to purchase over a $1000.00 worth of fonts that did not come
> with Office if the assignments were to be done correctly.
> So I'm speaking as someone who has recently been through the wringer on this
> and came out the other side pretty damned pissed.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 9:26:23 PM

Or buy OPEN OFFICE for $12 or get it free at Openoffice.org and save the
documents as a word file or excel file and save a whole bunch of Money!
Ya!

!