threepointone

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
I'm thinking about setting up fast raid array that still performs well. Does anyone know how a raid 0, raid 1, raid 0+1, raid 10, and raid 5 compare in terms of performance, given that I only have a cheapie onboard raid controller available?

threepointone

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
thanks, that was a lot shorter than the RAID summary wikipedia gave me =D

I was initially looking for some benchmarks, but I've managed to dig some out of google. in case you're passing by and wanted to know, raid 0 (2 drive) performs only slighly better than 1+0 or 0+1, at least with nforce(4?) RAID and ICH7 RAID controllers.

One more question, a bit off-topic, but: if I did a raid 0 config with three or more seagate ~250gb 7200.10, would you think it'd perform better (not pure performance benchmarks, but those simulated benchmarks) than a single one of the wd enterprise drives (like 4000yr or 5000ys), or even a single raptor?

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Lol, I know about RAID 0's performance. Ok... so multi-drive RAID 0 configs will run faster according to the types of files you're using and your stipe size. As you add more drive your performance will go up bit by bit.