Just got a 965p-ds3 which sata port to use and a bios questi

Al3451

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
just got a 965p-ds3 and i wanted to know which port is better for sata2 gigabyte(purple) or intel(orange) whats the difference?
Also in bios what should i set "onboard sata/ide ctrl mode" to ahci or ide whats the difference/benefit?

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I'm using the Intel ports because I want to use the ICH8R. I'm using the purple ones for one of the e-Sata brackets.

You only need to use the driver disk if you want to use the onboard sound and the ethernet port.

If you want to use RAID, you will need to make a floppy disk with the Intel Matrix Raid drivers on them. (or the Gigabyte RAID, if you're trying to run RAID on the purple connectors) You would install these drivers by pressing F 6 during Windows install.

The other drivers (sound and network) can be installed after you install windows.

selvenz

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
DS3 using ICH8 not ICH8R better off using the gigabyte purple sata2 connections you will acheive better transfer rates compared to INtels(yellow) plus on Intels no RAID allowed I think...Only on the gigabytes

I'm using the Intel ports because I want to use the ICH8R. I'm using the purple ones for one of the e-Sata brackets.

You only need to use the driver disk if you want to use the onboard sound and the ethernet port.

If you want to use RAID, you will need to make a floppy disk with the Intel Matrix Raid drivers on them. (or the Gigabyte RAID, if you're trying to run RAID on the purple connectors) You would install these drivers by pressing F 6 during Windows install.

The other drivers (sound and network) can be installed after you install windows.

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
DS3 using ICH8 not ICH8R better off using the gigabyte purple sata2 connections you will acheive better transfer rates compared to INtels(yellow) plus on Intels no RAID allowed I think...Only on the gigabytes

You are correct - the DS3 uses the ICH8, not the ICH8R that my DQ6 uses.