Can't access internet with #2 PC

EGrier

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
I have a problem hopefully someone can help me with. My 2nd computer cannot get internet access. I am connecting through a Network Everywhere NC41 router. One of my pc's connects fine. They both are running XP. I replaced the cable on PC#2 and it still doesn't work. When I statically assign an IP address, I can share files between the two PC's but cannot connect. If I set it to obtain an IP automatically I can no longer 'see' PC#2 from PC#1. Also the DHCP table in the router will only show PC#1 when I have it set to automatically see the IP. If I have it set statically, it will show up on the DHCP table but the computer name is 'unknown'. The link light on PC#2 is on. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

sturm

Splendid
When pc#2 is set to auto ip what is the ip address? -> ipconfig /all
You said when you set it to static you could transfer files but no internet. Did you setup the internet options to connect thru the lan?

EGrier

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
PC #2 when set to auto was 169.245.x.x. I did finally fix it. I did some more research and came across a program called winsockxpfix. I ran that and it now works again! :D Thanks for your help though.