newbie needs help with dead MB/CPU

skohlmey

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2004
My system has been running fine (24x7) for almost 2 years. Now it won't boot - even into the BIOS? Any suggestions to help or debug this would be appreciated.
MB: Intel D875PBZLK
CPU: P4 3.0E
RAM: 1GB Kingston DDR PC3200
PS: Seasonic S12-500W (about 1 year old)

The Long story:
I brought the system down to replace a bad HD in the MB-builtin SATA raid (mirror). I had it down for about a week while the replacement drive was shipped. I installed the new drive, turned it on and all I got was power, fans, and nothing else. In an attempt to isolate the problem, I removed everything from the MB (1 piece at a time) except the CPU and the video card. The system never seems to enter BIOS. There are no "beep" error messages (even with the memory removed). This is the only system I have ever built. And it is the first time I have had serious problems. It seems to me that it must be an issue with the CPU or MB.

Thanks

aequalsb

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
No bios, no beeps huh. How about the keyboard number lock, mouse light (if optical)?

Maybe some dust got moved around on the mb and is shorting something. Did you give it a good blow off?

Perhaps you could try just putting the windows cd in. If everything works good it should try to boot off cd. I wouldn't wipe your system yet tho.

skohlmey

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2004
Keyboard and mouse are also dead. I will try cleaning it. It doesn't look too dirty. But at this point I am ready to do secret incantations.

skohlmey

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2004
Secret incantations didn't work. Neither did cleaning or swapping PSUs or video cards. Since the MB doesn't complain when it tries to start without a CPU or memory, it seems very likely that the MB is fried. I opened a RMA with Intel and they are shipping me a replacement board.

skohlmey

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2004
Update: I installed the replacement MB sent by Intel (fast service!) and it fixed the problem. I had a little trouble getting it to boot from the HD but I eventually got it working. Thanks for all the tips in this thread and many others that helped me dubug the issue.

TRENDING THREADS