Which OS to buy

I am in the process of having my local computer shop build me a PC. I will
be getting a P4 3.0 GHZ, 1 GB RAM, and an ATI All-in-Wonder 9600 video card.
I am stuck as to whether to go with XP Home, XP Pro, or XP Media Center.
Aside from the usual computer uses (internet, E-mail, word processing,
Quicken, etc.), my other interests are in digital photography (use Adobe
Photoshop Elements), burning DVD's, including converting old VHS and 8mm
tapes, and music (IPOD and burning CD's). I am not into gaming and I already
have a home theatre with TIVO in 2 rooms, and I have a small TV in my office
near my computer, so I will probably not watch TV or movies on my computer.
I have been using Roxio for music and DVD burning, but my older system
crashes a lot. So, I am looking for a steady system (? is Pro better than
home just in terms of less crashes?) and am not sure if I will take advantage
of the extra stuff in Media Center. Any opinions?
5 answers Last reply
More about which

    Frank wrote:
    > I am in the process of having my local computer shop build me a PC.
    > I will be getting a P4 3.0 GHZ, 1 GB RAM, and an ATI All-in-Wonder
    > 9600 video card. I am stuck as to whether to go with XP Home, XP Pro,
    > or XP Media Center. Aside from the usual computer uses (internet,
    > E-mail, word processing, Quicken, etc.), my other interests are in
    > digital photography (use Adobe Photoshop Elements), burning DVD's,
    > including converting old VHS and 8mm tapes, and music (IPOD and
    > burning CD's). I am not into gaming and I already have a home
    > theatre with TIVO in 2 rooms, and I have a small TV in my office near
    > my computer, so I will probably not watch TV or movies on my
    > computer. I have been using Roxio for music and DVD burning, but my
    > older system crashes a lot. So, I am looking for a steady system (?
    > is Pro better than home just in terms of less crashes?) and am not
    > sure if I will take advantage of the extra stuff in Media Center.
    > Any opinions?

    From what you described, any would be fine for you. They are all the same
    kernel.

    Personally - since you are asking - I would go with XP Professional.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Windows Media Center Edition is not sold as a retail product.
    It is an OEM product installed on Windows Media Center
    hardware compliant systems only. You need Windows XP
    Home Edition in your case. It is the same as XP Pro, minus
    a few features you'll probably never need or use.

    Windows XP Comparison Guide
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    In news:EDC17491-9C6B-4C80-8DE4-B432D7E61D7A@microsoft.com,
    Frank <frank@msn.org> typed:

    > So, I am looking for a steady system (?
    > is Pro better than home just in terms of less crashes?)

    No. They are identical in stabilty. In fact, they are identical
    in all regards except that Professional includes a few features
    (mostly related to networking and security) missing from Home.
    For most (but not all) home users, these features aren't needed,
    would never be used, and buying Professional instead of Home is a
    waste of money.

    For details go to
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

    Also note that Professional allows ten concurrent network
    connections, and Home only five.

    > and am not
    > sure if I will take advantage of the extra stuff in Media
    > Center.
    > Any opinions?

    You have to decide for yourself, but it doesn't sound like the
    extras in Media Center would be valuable to you.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    One thing I would consider is forgetting about Roxio and going to Nero
    Burning ROM instead.
    I find Roxio a bit too invasive for me & prone to problems, whereas Nero is
    an extremely well put together program, easy to use & with lots of
    unexpected options that Roxio doesn't have (also, very user friendly)
    I'd probably lay a bet that the majority of users who have used Roxio in the
    past now have swung over to Nero.
    Check a few PC shops & see what software is mostly supplied with CD & DVD
    burners, yep, OEM Nero.

    --

    johnf

    >I am in the process of having my local computer shop build me a PC. I
    > will be getting a P4 3.0 GHZ, 1 GB RAM, and an ATI All-in-Wonder 9600
    > video card. I am stuck as to whether to go with XP Home, XP Pro, or XP
    > Media Center. Aside from the usual computer uses (internet, E-mail,
    > word processing, Quicken, etc.), my other interests are in digital
    > photography (use Adobe Photoshop Elements), burning DVD's, including
    > converting old VHS and 8mm tapes, and music (IPOD and burning CD's). I
    > am not into gaming and I already have a home theatre with TIVO in 2
    > rooms, and I have a small TV in my office near my computer, so I will
    > probably not watch TV or movies on my computer. I have been using Roxio
    > for music and DVD burning, but my older system crashes a lot. So, I am
    > looking for a steady system (? is Pro better than home just in terms of
    > less crashes?) and am not sure if I will take advantage of the extra
    > stuff in Media Center. Any opinions?

    Frank,
    As other replies have told you;
    a. The XP Media Center Edition is not available to purchase separately. It
    can only be purchased from a computer manufacturer who has a Microsoft
    contract to pre-install it on a one of their machines. In other words, you
    have to buy machine and all. Unless the shop or individual building your
    computer has such a contract, forget about it. By the way, the 2005 version
    of the Media Center is contains XP Home as the core OS. If my memory is
    correct, the previous ones contained XP Prof.
    b. From what you say, I think XP Home would fit your needs. Since XP Home
    and Professional are basically the same core [Professional has some advanced
    features you might not need; go to the Microsoft Site and compare them
    yourself; it is your choice to make]
    "Frank" <frank@msn.org> wrote in message
    >I am in the process of having my local computer shop build me a PC. I will
    > be getting a P4 3.0 GHZ, 1 GB RAM, and an ATI All-in-Wonder 9600 video
    > card.
    > I am stuck as to whether to go with XP Home, XP Pro, or XP Media Center.
    > Aside from the usual computer uses (internet, E-mail, word processing,
    > Quicken, etc.), my other interests are in digital photography (use Adobe
    > Photoshop Elements), burning DVD's, including converting old VHS and 8mm
    > tapes, and music (IPOD and burning CD's). I am not into gaming and I
    > already
    > have a home theatre with TIVO in 2 rooms, and I have a small TV in my
    > office
    > near my computer, so I will probably not watch TV or movies on my
    > computer.
    > I have been using Roxio for music and DVD burning, but my older system
    > crashes a lot. So, I am looking for a steady system (? is Pro better than
    > home just in terms of less crashes?) and am not sure if I will take
    > advantage
    > of the extra stuff in Media Center. Any opinions?

Windows XP