ATI 4.12 Video Drivers & NFSU2

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.need-for-speed (More info?)

Anyone with an ATI Radeon card try the new 4.12 drivers with Need For Speed:
Underground 2? Any performance boost or problems?

Steve
9 answers Last reply
More about video drivers nfsu2
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.need-for-speed (More info?)

    On 14 Dec 2004, Ikaros wrote:

    > Anyone with an ATI Radeon card try the new 4.12 drivers with Need For
    > Speed: Underground 2? Any performance boost or problems?
    >
    > Steve

    Try Omega's drivers for ATI www.omegadrivers.net
    Written for performance without all the bloat of ATI's drivers.

    --
    Alex Devlin

    "I don't care who you want to speak to, or how far you came, or what you
    have to offer. You CAN'T PARK HERE."
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.need-for-speed (More info?)

    That was useful.

    Q: "Anyone know if HL2 will work on my AMD CPU???"
    A: "Buy an Intel. They are more gooder."

    sheesh
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.need-for-speed (More info?)

    "Alex Devlin" <Alex@127.0.0.1> wrote
    > Try Omega's drivers for ATI www.omegadrivers.net
    > Written for performance without all the bloat of ATI's drivers.

    Oh yeah, Omega is the savior, Omega is the solution
    for everything. Hallelujah!

    Ahem. But I've always had the complete opposite feeling,
    Omegas felt too much of a bloat compared to pure ATI-
    drivers (and meaning the control panel-version here).

    Not to mention that I noticed zero difference in performance
    and visual quality, so have you Omega-fans actually
    benchmarked the drivers in practical gaming? Or are the
    differences noticeable only with the high-end cards like
    X800 etc.?
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.need-for-speed (More info?)

    On 15 Dec 2004, Aki Peltola wrote:

    > "Alex Devlin" <Alex@127.0.0.1> wrote
    >> Try Omega's drivers for ATI www.omegadrivers.net
    >> Written for performance without all the bloat of ATI's drivers.
    >
    > Oh yeah, Omega is the savior, Omega is the solution
    > for everything. Hallelujah!
    >
    > Ahem. But I've always had the complete opposite feeling,
    > Omegas felt too much of a bloat compared to pure ATI-
    > drivers (and meaning the control panel-version here).
    >
    > Not to mention that I noticed zero difference in performance
    > and visual quality, so have you Omega-fans actually
    > benchmarked the drivers in practical gaming? Or are the
    > differences noticeable only with the high-end cards like
    > X800 etc.?

    Not saying that Omega drivers are the saviours. I tried them and my games
    run faster. The OP wanted to know if there was a performance increase
    with the new ATI drivers. I noticed no increase at all with the new ATI
    ones but did notice the omega ones were (slightly) faster.

    If you don't want to use them then don't use them. Not everyone has heard
    of them and with some machines they do give a speed increase.

    I run a 9600XT, P42.8E, 1024MB ram and theres a performance increase on
    mine.

    --
    Alex Devlin

    "I don't care who you want to speak to, or how far you came, or what you
    have to offer. You CAN'T PARK HERE."
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.need-for-speed (More info?)

    "Aki Peltola" <aape@POISTAnic.fi> wrote in message
    > "Alex Devlin" <Alex@127.0.0.1> wrote
    > > Try Omega's drivers for ATI www.omegadrivers.net
    > > Written for performance without all the bloat of ATI's drivers.
    >
    > Oh yeah, Omega is the savior, Omega is the solution
    > for everything. Hallelujah!
    >
    > Ahem. But I've always had the complete opposite feeling,
    > Omegas felt too much of a bloat compared to pure ATI-
    > drivers (and meaning the control panel-version here).
    >
    > Not to mention that I noticed zero difference in performance
    > and visual quality, so have you Omega-fans actually
    > benchmarked the drivers in practical gaming? Or are the
    > differences noticeable only with the high-end cards like
    > X800 etc.?

    When the ATI 4.10s were out I used those for a while before migrating to
    omega' sdrivers (which were based upon 4.10b) and I noticed an increase of
    10fps in Doom 3 using the timedemo feature. That's a significant increase,
    don't you say? I'm using a 9800 Pro 128MB.

    I've been using Omega Drivers since, so can't really compare them to the
    latest ATI ones. However, I'm confident that they're better or at least
    equal.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.need-for-speed (More info?)

    Ikaros wrote:
    > Anyone with an ATI Radeon card try the new 4.12 drivers with Need For
    > Speed: Underground 2? Any performance boost or problems?
    >
    > Steve

    Nobody knows the answer to your question.

    But you did start an ATI/Omega argument! <g>
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.need-for-speed (More info?)

    "The Berzerker" <Berzerker@wooooooo.com> wrote
    > When the ATI 4.10s were out I used those for a while before migrating to
    > omega' sdrivers (which were based upon 4.10b) and I noticed an increase of
    > 10fps in Doom 3 using the timedemo feature. That's a significant increase,
    > don't you say? I'm using a 9800 Pro 128MB.

    Well yes, that's quite a nice boost. I'd be happy to get
    even 5fps gain, but I guess the lower-end cards like
    9600pro aren't that good of a benefitters what comes
    to driver tweaks.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.need-for-speed (More info?)

    Yep - I'm running 4.12 Catalyst on an ATI 9800Pro up top of an AMD 1800 and
    everything is hunky-dorey.

    Forgive me, but, I think that a lot of people's problems with NFSU2 is down
    to a not-as-god-as-perfection setup rather than the game itself. I'm running
    at 1024x768 on my old AMD1800 and the game, by 'n' large is excellent.

    Sorry(?)
    Skot.

    "Ikaros" <snmavronis@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Anyone with an ATI Radeon card try the new 4.12 drivers with Need For
    Speed:
    > Underground 2? Any performance boost or problems?
    >
    > Steve

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.need-for-speed (More info?)

    Ikaros wrote:
    > Anyone with an ATI Radeon card try the new 4.12 drivers with Need For Speed:
    > Underground 2? Any performance boost or problems?

    Just installed the Cat4.12's, no improvement at all that I noticed, with
    my Radeon 9800AIW
    But no problems either, so I'll probably keep using them..

    --
    Jez
    'Realism is seductive because once you have accepted the reasonable

    Skype callto://hellward
    NFS Porsche Unleashed, Hot Pursuit 2, Underground.
    Yeowww

Drivers Video ATI Video Games