AMD Athlon 64 X2 help

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • RAM
  • AMD
Last response: in CPUs
October 2, 2006 7:08:17 AM

Hi All,

Sorry for my ignorance, but I am really not a very computech savvy person...I was going through some articles...and I would like to have some knowledge from the more informed friends of this forum on some basic things about the AMD...I don't find any FSB values associated with any AMD 64 processor...like in case of Intel socket 775 and DDR2 RAM system, I find FSB is optimised with 2X DDR RAM frequency at 1:1 ratio... I find no such info for AMD X2 models...I am pondering over buying an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ in AM2 socket, but am not sure whether to go for DDR2 RAM having 533MHz or 667 MHz or higher...by the way, I am not a hardcore gamer, and I don't intend to overclock my CPU...
Can anybody give any ideas and enlighten me? This is urgent.

Thanks in advance.

More about : amd athlon

October 2, 2006 7:17:50 AM

AMDs have a dedicated memory bus. With every mobo I've seen, the bus will autoconfig for the memory. There is a slight advantage to faster memory, with lower latency. Generally, it's not worth the expense.
October 2, 2006 8:07:51 AM

Quote:
Hi All,

Sorry for my ignorance, but I am really not a very computech savvy person...I was going through some articles...and I would like to have some knowledge from the more informed friends of this forum on some basic things about the AMD...I don't find any FSB values associated with any AMD 64 processor...like in case of Intel socket 775 and DDR2 RAM system, I find FSB is optimised with 2X DDR RAM frequency at 1:1 ratio... I find no such info for AMD X2 models...I am pondering over buying an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ in AM2 socket, but am not sure whether to go for DDR2 RAM having 533MHz or 667 MHz or higher...by the way, I am not a hardcore gamer, and I don't intend to overclock my CPU...
Can anybody give any ideas and enlighten me? This is urgent.

Thanks in advance.
AMD processors use HTT(Hyper-Transport Technology) which is their version of FSB. All Athlon 64/X2's use an HTT(FSB) of 200MHz, therefore DDR2-400 would run 1:1. For instance, X2 3800+ runs at 2GHz, using a 10x multiplier x 200HTT. AM2 runs best with the memory running asynchronously(much like the Netburst [P4] architecture), therefore, you should ideally run DDR2-800. DDR2-667 is the lowest that i would suggest using, as performance drops off quickly as memory speed decreases. GL :) 
!