HELP- SERIOUS PROBLEM - Need help

mcain591

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
OK, bear with me.
On sunday night I was running GRAW, when suddenly my screen went black, and then my screen started displaying a screen filled with groups of pixels in different shades of gray with a few assorted groups of random colors. When I restarted, my normal start-up sound (which consists of all of the fans running 100% for a brief second) sounded like something was missing, which I suspect to have been the GPU fan not running. After the start-up sound, the screen went blank, and I had to restart again. Then right before I got to the windows login screen, the screen which asks you how windows should start-up (normal, in safe-mode, etc.) came up, but I wasn't able to move the selection, or press enter. When the clock ran out, and the OS came up, the computer restarted momentarily after entering my desktop. Then the cycle with the same wierd-gray screen started again. When I finally uninstalled 6.9 in the short amount of time, and installed 6.7, things got better. But I still have a restart before the OS comes up every once in a while. And my computer restarts after prolonged system up-time, and a game wont run for more that 2-3 minutes, then the screen goes blank.

These are the ideas as to what happened that I am thinking (listed by reasonability):
1)Part of the GPU or memory got partially fried
2)The thermal material between the GPU and the heatsink got melted (as GRAW is a VERY graphically intense game).
3)Part of my mobo's nForce 4 chipset got screwed over.

I have partial evidence for #3, as I read one of my conflicts pages, and saw the the nForce chipset was listed.
I know that this should be listed in technical support, but I need answers, as this is a serious problem. (besides, more people will see it if it is here)

You don't need to pick from those 3, any input is greatly appreciated.

cronydog

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
You know those 6.9 ATI drivers are flawed some how. My wife's system is running an X800XL and ran perfect with the 6.8 drivers. As soon as I tryed the 6.9 drivers, games would act funny and I couldn't run a benchmark without it failing.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
OK, bear with me.
When I restarted, my normal start-up sound (which consists of all of the fans running 100% for a brief second) sounded like something was missing, which I suspect to have been the GPU fan not running.

Could it be that the fan on your VC is dead causing it to overheat? That would explain the noise difference. Open the case and check. If the fan is working then try removing the HSF and reapplying thermal paste.

Do you get artifacts?