Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Problem with Desktop Access(VB) manipulating Pocket Excel ..

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 12:11:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I'm trying to use a macro in an Access database to transfer data from Excel
spreadsheets into access. I get errors when trying to pull data from files
that come directly off of my Pocket PC.

If I open each Excel file then save prior to running the macro everything
works fine. Any ideas on what I can do to avoid having to open/save each
excel file prior to running this macro?

Thanks!
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 8:19:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

If the Excel file that you're trying to access was created on the PPC
(or converted for use), the format of the file is different. Hence,
Access can't read the information. I would create VBA code in Desktop
Excel to read the information and then send it Access.

Another option would be to handle the open/save programically via VBA
code in Access.

David H

B_BROOKS wrote:
> I'm trying to use a macro in an Access database to transfer data from Excel
> spreadsheets into access. I get errors when trying to pull data from files
> that come directly off of my Pocket PC.
>
> If I open each Excel file then save prior to running the macro everything
> works fine. Any ideas on what I can do to avoid having to open/save each
> excel file prior to running this macro?
>
> Thanks!
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 3:11:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Thanks for your thoughts David. I've resorted to VBA code
in Access to open/save these files. Its interesting that
saving files in Excel 97/2000 format on PPC changes them
enough that they're not recognized. I could understand if
they were saved as Pocket Excel workbooks?? Thanks for the
ideas though

>-----Original Message-----
>If the Excel file that you're trying to access was
created on the PPC
>(or converted for use), the format of the file is
different. Hence,
>Access can't read the information. I would create VBA
code in Desktop
>Excel to read the information and then send it Access.
>
>Another option would be to handle the open/save
programically via VBA
>code in Access.
>
>David H
>
>B_BROOKS wrote:
>> I'm trying to use a macro in an Access database to
transfer data from Excel
>> spreadsheets into access. I get errors when trying to
pull data from files
>> that come directly off of my Pocket PC.
>>
>> If I open each Excel file then save prior to running
the macro everything
>> works fine. Any ideas on what I can do to avoid having
to open/save each
>> excel file prior to running this macro?
>>
>> Thanks!
>.
>
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 11:15:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

You might also want to have Access VBA save a copy of the Workbook just
as a backup since it should only take one or two additional lines of code.

David H
The sonic boom you just heard was this email being sent.
http:\\www.mozilla.org\products\thunderbird

B_BROOKS wrote:
> Thanks for your thoughts David. I've resorted to VBA code
> in Access to open/save these files. Its interesting that
> saving files in Excel 97/2000 format on PPC changes them
> enough that they're not recognized. I could understand if
> they were saved as Pocket Excel workbooks?? Thanks for the
> ideas though
>
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>If the Excel file that you're trying to access was
>
> created on the PPC
>
>>(or converted for use), the format of the file is
>
> different. Hence,
>
>>Access can't read the information. I would create VBA
>
> code in Desktop
>
>>Excel to read the information and then send it Access.
>>
>>Another option would be to handle the open/save
>
> programically via VBA
>
>>code in Access.
>>
>>David H
>>
>>B_BROOKS wrote:
>>
>>>I'm trying to use a macro in an Access database to
>
> transfer data from Excel
>
>>>spreadsheets into access. I get errors when trying to
>
> pull data from files
>
>>>that come directly off of my Pocket PC.
>>>
>>>If I open each Excel file then save prior to running
>
> the macro everything
>
>>>works fine. Any ideas on what I can do to avoid having
>
> to open/save each
>
>>>excel file prior to running this macro?
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>
>>.
>>
!