Sign in with
Your question

Abit AN8, frustrating boot issue!

Last response: in Motherboards
October 2, 2006 9:14:50 AM

Hi I wonder if anyone here can help me!
I have been running my homebuilt system for about a year now and never had any trouble untill recently!

The system no longer displays anything on screen, not one thing. The POST reaches 7F after resetting the CCMOS (the screen which says "your CCMOS has been reset, press F1 to continue", not that you can see it!). Upon pressing F1 the POST goes to FF but no HD, boot or monitor activity occurs. Upon resetting the system fails to POST.

Sometimes the POST will stop at 04, 2d, or 6d.

In the past it has been possible to get the machine to start after ressetting the CCMOS however this no longer works!

Keyboard response seems fine (CAPS, num lock) and I have tested alternative RAM.

System:
Abit AN8 (possibly Ultra!)
AMD 64 3200+ Winchester
2 x 512Mb OCZ DDR400 Dual-Channel RAM
BFG GeForce 6600GT
2 x 120GB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Any help is greatly appreciated!
October 2, 2006 12:48:30 PM

Hmm, could be worth a try but don't I need to be able to see the screen to do that or is there some other method?

Thanks
a b V Motherboard
October 2, 2006 1:41:14 PM

You could try putting the AWDFLASH.EXE on a floppy and hope it gets far enough into post to read it, which version you try is up to you of course but I would try a different one from the currant one just to force a change
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b V Motherboard
October 2, 2006 2:01:13 PM

Oops bit druunk at the mo, do you have another graphic card you could try? as the 2d,7f codes are logo/screen orientated it could be your card is on the fritz.
October 2, 2006 4:41:23 PM

The FF suggests that the board has run through all it's startup & is looking for an OS to boot from.
If you can I would try another gfx card as well.
a b V Motherboard
October 2, 2006 4:59:55 PM

What for you reply to me?, I not start this thread :lol: 
October 3, 2006 8:21:01 AM

When it gets to FF, the OS DOES NOT BOOT! The screen just stays black and no HD lights flicker and no noises either.

Unfortunately I don't really have the money to buy a new gfx card, just to find out that it may not be the problem. None of my friends use PCI-E cards, they are all still on AGP so there is nothing I can borrow either!

Is it possible that this issue may be power supply related?
October 4, 2006 6:12:04 AM

Quote:
When it gets to FF, the OS DOES NOT BOOT! The screen just stays black and no HD lights flicker and no noises either.

the FF suggests though that the board has run through all it's tests OK & is searching for something to boot from.

"The system no longer displays anything on screen, not one thing. The POST reaches 7F after resetting the CCMOS (the screen which says "your CCMOS has been reset, press F1 to continue", not that you can see it!)."
so from what yoou have said there was nothing on the screen but you knew from experience to press F1?

Were your HDDs RAIDed?

Unfortunately there comes a point where it's always useful to have access to other hardware to swap out - I don't suppose that any of your friens has a PCI VGA card that you could try?
October 4, 2006 7:12:15 AM

hiya all

i know there is a problem with some version of the AN8

this sounds like a problem i had i had to send the board back for replacement as it was a faulty BIOS chip and no amount of flashing the bios would work.

if i were u i would contact ABIT tech support and get their help on this issues

or u could just simply replace the M/B with another one

Matt
October 4, 2006 7:37:29 AM

BUFF: Yeah I've had to reset to CCMOS for a number of reasons in the past. There was a point where I could get the system to boot but I had to reset the CCMOS everytime, even on restarting windows. So I've seen that screen a few times!

Mattym: Thanks I'll give them a call sometime.

In the mean time I've tried taking everything out of the system bar the mobo and CPU, and slowly building up the components. RAM, then gfx card, checking the POST code each time. All is fine except for the lack of a display!

Thanks for your help guys, keep it coming!
!