Sound Card and overal Performance

drackula

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2005
Anyone can tell me how much performance might be gain from the nowadays new computer ( e6600, 2 Gig and so on) just by using external suond card (e.g. SB Fatality) instead integrated one.

that is intersting cause i was told that it migt release even few % of the CPU power.

Integrated sound might use cpu cycles to process the audio but what's 2-3% cpu usage when you've got a dual core e6600? Given that, the choice whether to use dedicated on integrated sound chould be more a question of sound quailty and features and not becuase you'll get 2 extra fps...

SciFiMan

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Right, and unless you already have awesome speakers, you're better off upgrading those first, if you have an audio ear. I actually don't have a fine ear, so to me $100 and $400 speakers sound about the same. Maybe to much Ted Nugent in my younger years.

Santino

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
u wount get much of a performace increase with a system like yours but your music and game will sound a whole lot better even if u dont have the best speakers in the world you will notice a big difference.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
You may not gain any performance at all but having a sound card and a good set of speakers will you much better richer sound. From the looks of it you got a pretty good system, you might as well upgrade to a sound card for a full gaming experience. :wink: