Sign in with
Your question

The Athlon 4

Last response: in Mobile Computing
Anonymous
March 21, 2002 10:10:12 PM

Hello all, as I always do I come here to ask your opinion about PC stuff, before I go buy something. I have 3 questions:

In terms of bang for the buck, does the Mobile Athlon 4 outperform the mobiel P-3, what about the mobile P-4? I am a fan of AMD and I'm going to get my MBA so I need a good notebook to replace my 800 MHz THunderbird desktop.

#2, I'm trying to get an Athlon4-GeForce4Go or RadeonMobility combo, but I only find crappy KN133 notebooks! What's the deal, aren't there any AMD-Nvidia/ATI notebooks around?????

and #3, are there any notebooks available with the Athlon and VIA's new DDR mobile chipset?? It was anounces like 5 months ago!

I know my post was a little long, so I really appreciate whoever takes the time to answer. I want to get a good notebook machine that replaces as best a possible my desktop. I do gaming, Internet stuff and office apps. Because of the "gaming" part, I cannot go with a machine that has a crappy graphic CPU.

Thanks to all in advance for your help, my personal e-mail is originalpepo@netscape.net . I appreciate all feedback.

Cheers!

More about : athlon

April 3, 2002 9:21:30 AM

I've been looking for an AMD Athlon 4 based notebook with a good GPU as well and as far as your last two questions are concerned, I'm pretty sure the answer is no. Which does suck. If I had a choice I'd buy a laptop with the Geforce 4 Go or ATI 7500 Mobility Radeon with 64 DDR of graphics memory and the 2nd fastest Athlon 4 available. Right now my choices are either the Nvidia or ATI GPU paired with a P4. I would rather buy a AMD based notebook but every company I see refuses to put a good GPU with it.

As for whether the Athlon 4's are generally faster than the P4 mobiles, there is really no way to tell since Athlon 4 notebooks are ill equipped to run 3D based benchmarks. And it's pretty much impossible to get two notebooks that have pretty much the same exact components except for the CPU's and motherboards.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Skull_Angel on 04/03/02 05:27 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
Anonymous
April 4, 2002 11:18:21 PM

Thanks for the info. I kept looking and like you said, NOTHING. It's a shame that such a good mobile CPU can't get a good GPU due probably to Intel's strong arm tactics. SO far I was looking at a Toshiba Satellite with a P3 and a GeForce4 Go but the battery life is PATHETIC, less than 2 hours!!! I have until middle of May to get the notebook so hopefully something will happen...
Related resources
Anonymous
April 11, 2002 4:07:14 PM

Thi is the same dilema that I have been facing, I wanted an AMD Athlon 4, so I bought a Sony Vaio FXA-36. It is an excellent notebook and fast too, but it has an ATI Rage Mobility M1 graphics card w/ 8 MB of Video RAM. It does not run most modern games with high 3D. I run stronghold on it and it runs like a champ, but that is almost the limit. It does DVDs flawlessly though and the display is good, but I do not regret buying it.
I say that you keep you desktop for gaming and buy it a new graphics card and just do the stuff that you really need to do on the Notebook and buy the Athlon 4 System.
April 11, 2002 8:56:38 PM

I agree with all said, It's stupid that laptop manufacturers dont pair the Mobile Athlon with a decent graphics chipset. *sigh* it will happen eventually i guess.

but for the moment, if ur looking for gd allround, (and u mentioned the toshiba) why dont you try dell?

"The answer to life's problems aren't at the bottom of a beer bottle, they're on TV."
Anonymous
April 16, 2002 5:18:57 PM

Thanks to all, it's good to know that so many fans of AMD want a decent Athlon 4-good GPU mobile solution. Maybe if we start writing e-mails to Sony and Compaq (AMD's biggest mobile OEMs?) we would get their attention?

THe problem with Dell and others is that the really good GPUs come with the P4. I never liked the P4, although paired with a fast bus and good DDR memory it is really fast. The price for these configs is WAY too much! That's why I'm looking at the TOshiba S507, for less than $2000 you get the GeForce4 GO with a P3 1 GHz+ . The only drawback is the 2 hours of battery life. Keeping the desktop is not an option 'cause space is an issue. Maybe in 4 week an Athlon 4 miracle will happen!
Anonymous
April 29, 2002 11:30:13 PM

Well, May is coming and no miracle... It looks like I have to go with a P4-M or P3-M instead of an AMD solution.

Anyone know any good, reasonable priced, notebooks with any of the above CPUs and with the GeForce4 Go???? Right now based on feedback from many posters around the Web (and from here of course!) I'm leaning for the Toshiba Satellite S507, even if it has a normal P3.
!