Gamer_Kid

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
I have a ECS PT880PRO-A Motherboard And A FC LGA775 CPU. I am Currently having heat problems and would like it to keep cool. I dont care how noisy it is, But I have around 100$-150$ to spend on it. This is my case setup, I have 1 side case fan vent, 2 80mm fan vents in back, And either 1 120mm or 2 80mm fan vents in the front.Running about 44C (board temp) at idle but at loading it jumps up to 55C fast.Please give me links to products and suggestions. I know that my computer isnt the "best" out there but I know it has potential to be good just needs to get cooled down.Also I am running A 550W(max) power supply with one +12V rail that carries 25amps. Whats a good temp for board under load??

Your previous topic: Cooling Issues

Get a copy of CPU-Z
It would be really nice to know eactly which CPU you're using. Get the CPU Name and number, Core stepping and Core voltage with CPU-Z.
In the mean time don't panic. If your CPU gets too hot it should throttle down to a slower speed (like 2.8Ghz).

Gamer_Kid

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
OK thanks, Im downloading the program now. Confusing me back on software sandra it says board is 50 then on this other one it says cpu 50. How do i know which one is correct.Thanks for the help!

CPU Name: Intel Pentium 4 571
Code Name:prescott
Package:Socket 775 LGA
Voltage:1.296
Core Speed:3847.4-3847.8
1 core 2 threads

I'd say that for a Prescott 571 3.8Ghz CPU 55C isnt all that unusual.
If you want to consider an aftermarket HSF you could look into something like a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro It's about $30, will drop the CPU temps and still not make a lot of noise doing it. There are plenty of other aftermarket HSFs out there in the same price range and bit higher. It's not too hard to find reviews that report on how well they work.
Roundup: Seven High-Performance Coolers for AMD and Intel Processors

Gamer_Kid

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
OK thank you, So what you are saying it is "safe" to run at the temp or I should buy a new heatsink and fan. What i planned on doing was buying some artic silver 5 heatsink grease and see if that helped at all.Will look at some heatsinks and fans.

Mondoman

Splendid
The problem is that you have a *very* hot-running CPU. I don't think anyone would be happy with 50C+ CPU temps at idle, but you pretty much get what you pay for.
The problem with the AC Freezer 7 Pro is that, while it will cool the CPU well, it doesn't meet the Intel thermal spec in that it doesn't blow air down onto the MB in all directions to cool nearby components. If you want a better CPU cooler, get something like a Golden/Blue Orb II or Zalman 7700.
The comprehensive (and free) info/diagnostic software that I like is PC Wizard 2006. Also, PRIME95 when run in stress-test mode is good for determining the max temps and detecting any system problems at full load.

So what you are saying it is "safe" to run at the temp
I think you are safe.
And I don't think it will do any good removing the stock HSF to use ArticSilver. Now if you replace the stock HSF then its good to use AS.

I suggested the AC Freezer 7 for a couple of reasons.
Easy installation, quiet operation and low price.
While the Zalman 7700 is probably the better thermal solution you need to carefully check for clearances, mount brackets and clips for the 775 socket and it does cost a bit more.

Of course I can't confirm that the AC F7 HSF will fit his case and motherboard - its not exactly a small thing.
airflow_freezer7pro.gif

Gamer_Kid

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
Bought The Artic Freezer 7, Saying that it does not bring enough air to other components,I have a side case fan that blows a little south of the cpu. If that does not work I will swap the 120 intake fan with 2 powerful 80mm intake fans. Also if I buy dual fan powersupply will that help me or just make my problems worse?

Gamer_Kid

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
Do you know anywhere where it pictures the Artic Freeze 7 Pro up next to stock Heatsink and Fan?? I Have about 1 1/2 inch margin between stock fan and power supply, which to me looks like it should fit, but who knows.

Gamer_Kid

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
Hmmm, The more and more I look at it the more nervous i get. Now i got 2 spots to worry about. Check out the pic
48qahhe.jpg

What im worried about is the gap from stock cpu cooler to power supply. You think thats gunna be a big enough gap. OK N/M i see what you are saying, But the width of it is what im worrying about most,And tallness.
When i get it it says it has MX-1 grease applied should I take that off and put some artic 5 on or just leave the MX-1 on.

These are what the stock Intel HSFs look like:
p430c01jf3.jpg

Thats some type of CoolerMaster aftermarket HSF.
Actually as wide as that HSF is the AC Freezer7 might have MORE clearance to the PSU.

I think you'll need about 4.9" clearance from the top of the CPU to the side panel of the case. It looks pretty good to me. It will be 4.2" wide or 2.1" from center of CPU to edge of the cooler.

Gamer_Kid

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
Ok I downloaded pc wizard 2006 and went to temps and bam same thing with SIS. I am not what most people would call a master at computers but im still learnin, what is the mainboard temp. Is that the same as CPU or what. Cause I have no clue, or is this the North and Southbridge Chipsets.

Gamer_Kid

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
Ok I downloaded pc wizard 2006 and went to temps and bam same thing with SIS. I am not what most people would call a master at computers but im still learnin, what is the mainboard temp. Is that the same as CPU or what. Cause I have no clue, or is this the North and Southbridge Chipsets.
2usd92r.jpg

Since you already have an aftermarket HSF installed Im not sure how much better cooling you'll get with the AC Freezer7 Pro. It might not be enough of an increase to make it worthwhile.

Gamer_Kid

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
Well I figure that if it is after market it's not by much because all the intel heatsinks i see for the 775 sockets are about the same size and about the same fan size. And I purchased some Artic 5 Grease which should help bring temps down and I bought the Artic Freezer7 Pro. So do u know what aminboard temp is? Is it the same as CPU just farther down???Northbridge??? Cause by the way it looks either my sensors got put in wrong or sumtin cause i went into BIOS and it said CPU was running 52C and i go intoPC Wiz and it says my mainboard is runnin 52C. So when i get the new HS should i leave the MX-1 thermal grease thats on it or put the artic 5 on?

AS5 on the CoolerMaster HSF may not change the CPU temps at all.
Replacing the CoolerMaster HSF with the AC Freezer7 might not change the CPU temps either.

Processer=CPU
Mainboard is probably NB
Power/Aux maybe the PSU

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I have a ECS PT880PRO-A Motherboard And A FC LGA775 CPU. I am Currently having heat problems and would like it to keep cool. I dont care how noisy it is, But I have around 100$-150$ to spend on it. This is my case setup, I have 1 side case fan vent, 2 80mm fan vents in back, And either 1 120mm or 2 80mm fan vents in the front.Running about 44C (board temp) at idle but at loading it jumps up to 55C fast.Please give me links to products and suggestions. I know that my computer isnt the "best" out there but I know it has potential to be good just needs to get cooled down.Also I am running A 550W(max) power supply with one +12V rail that carries 25amps. Whats a good temp for board under load??

Sorry to butt in so late after you've hashed this out quite a bit. You say that you have $100 to 150 to spend on this. I'm not sure if you are considering a new case or just other fans, HSFs or what. Do you have a fan in place on the side of the case? If not, try one and check temps with it as an intake and an exhaust. Coinsider getting a fan controller and since noise isn't a big issue, look at replacing your fans with ones that have high CFM ratings. The thing is, with $150 available, you could get an excellent airflow case like the Lian Li PC60 Plus II and the Arctic HSF. You could also get the AC, some fans, a fan controller and a cooler-running PS. Many options.