C2D Build needs approval

Kosko

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Hey guys, this weekend my old computer died. I'm tired of replacing RAM, power supply and video cards on it and since the new technology is out; I think its time to upgrade. Here's what I'm thinking so far:

CPU: E6600
MOBO: GA-965P-DS3
Video: Sapphire 100168L Radeon X1900XT GDDR3 PCCI E x16
HSF: ZALMAN CNPS9500
Memory: Corsair XMS2 (2 x 1GB) 4-4-4-12 timing
HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250 GB SATA
Monitor: Samsung 204B - BK 20.1" 5ms LCD

These parts would all come to $1512.94

I already have an old LCD monitor, but to get a better one for the new computer to really show the new performance seems like an important option.

I still need a power supply, I don't know the difference between all the options so I was hopeing someone could reccomend one for me.

I have a CoolMaster case laying around that I could use for it, and my old case as well. I'm still option to suggestions though.

What I want to do with it: Audio and Image editting (photoshop, illustrator, some 3D). Gaming.

Also, I was wondering if anyone could reccomend a good digital audio in component for recording. Maybe something I could set up during the build, instead of something like the mBox which would go aftermarket through a USB cable.

Lastly, I don't have an overbearing desire to overclock. I'd rather opt for a fast and stable PC. Either way, these seemed to be some of the best bang for buck options out there. This will be my first complete from scratch build, so I just want someone to review and clear any worries I may have. Much thanks and I'm really looking forward to a new machine.

Kosko

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Looking at other threads I think I am opting for the ASUS P5B Deluxe Socket for the motherboard instead of the gigabyte as well as OCZ GameXStream 600W power supply. Thats all my thoughts so far.

Thanks for reviewing.

Norien

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
I am at a toss up betwee the P5B Deluxe and the DS3. But after reading all the issues that the P5B has, I am stand offish when it comes to this board so I might get the DS3 instead.

I also have the GamerXStream power supply. Cant wait to finally use it.

qurious69ss

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
I am at a toss up betwee the P5B Deluxe and the DS3. But after reading all the issues that the P5B has, I am stand offish when it comes to this board so I might get the DS3 instead.

I also have the GamerXStream power supply. Cant wait to finally use it.

What issues are people having with the P5B-Deluxe? I have read that the P5B was having issues, i.e. memory compatiblity, and a hot NB, but the P5B-Deluxe is in a whole separate league.

Norien

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
I have been reading the Asus motherboard section and it seems that there seems to be issues with it not posting. Maybe I have the mobos confussed, if so then I apologize.

Kosko

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
So leave it to UPS to leave my package in Louisville the one time I get overnight delivery. :evil: One more day, but some refunded cash. Oh well.