asp.net?

For no reason (that I'm aware of) a new "user account" has suddenly
appeared. The user is asp.net. I'm dumbfounded as I have not (to my
knowledge) installed anything new from MS. The maddening part is that now
that annoying user login screen appears after several minutes. I'm (supposed
to be) the only user on my system. How did this user account get there? Do I
need it? AND how do I get my system to quit displaying that user logon
screen?
Thanks,
Dusty
4 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    In news:tLidnXqfxsf5NgLcRVn-sg@giganews.com,
    Dusty <dusty_717(NoSpam)@yahoo.com> typed:

    > For no reason (that I'm aware of) a new "user account" has
    > suddenly
    > appeared. The user is asp.net. I'm dumbfounded as I have not
    > (to my
    > knowledge) installed anything new from MS.

    Yes, you download and installed the .net framework. This is
    normal.

    > The maddening part is that
    > now that annoying user login screen appears after several
    > minutes.
    > I'm (supposed to be) the only user on my system. How did this
    > user
    > account get there? Do I need it? AND how do I get my system to
    > quit
    > displaying that user logon screen?

    Start | Run, type "control userpasswords2" Start | Run, type
    "control userpasswords2" Select the account you want to logon to
    automatically. Then uncheck the box "Users must enter a user name
    and password to use this computer."

    Or do the same thing with TweakUI.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Hi

    Please have a look a the following link:

    "What is the ASP.NET Machine Account?"
    http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Dusty" <dusty_717(NoSpam)@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > For no reason (that I'm aware of) a new "user account" has suddenly
    > appeared. The user is asp.net. I'm dumbfounded as I have not (to my
    > knowledge) installed anything new from MS. The maddening part is that now
    > that annoying user login screen appears after several minutes. I'm
    > (supposed to be) the only user on my system. How did this user account get
    > there? Do I need it? AND how do I get my system to quit displaying that
    > user logon screen?
    > Thanks,
    > Dusty

    Thanks Will, you're rescued me again. I do remember being in Windows Update
    and it telling me I needed this. Only knowing enough to get me in trouble I
    told update to go ahead and install it. So, probably never needing it ( that
    I can tell) can I go ahead and uninstall it without invoking dire
    consequences?
    Thanks Again,
    Dusty

    > Hi
    >
    > Please have a look a the following link:
    >
    > "What is the ASP.NET Machine Account?"
    > http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Dusty" <dusty_717(NoSpam)@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> For no reason (that I'm aware of) a new "user account" has suddenly
    >> appeared. The user is asp.net. I'm dumbfounded as I have not (to my
    >> knowledge) installed anything new from MS. The maddening part is that now
    >> that annoying user login screen appears after several minutes. I'm
    >> (supposed to be) the only user on my system. How did this user account
    >> get there? Do I need it? AND how do I get my system to quit displaying
    >> that user logon screen?
    >> Thanks,
    >> Dusty

    Hi

    There are more and more programs using .NET Framework. It is best to leave
    it where it is. You can logon directly to Windows by:

    typing the following from Start>Run

    control userpasswords2

    then uncheck 'Users must enter a user name and password to use this
    computer' and click 'Apply'. On the next screen - 'Automatically Log On' -
    delete the name 'Administrator' from the User name box and enter your
    account name and then the password in the next two boxes. OK your way out
    and then reboot your system.

    Or you can use Tweak UI:

    You can download TweakUI from
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp and when
    installed go to Programs>Powertoys for Windows XP>Tweak UI - then go to
    Logon>Autologon.

    --

    > Thanks Will, you're rescued me again. I do remember being in Windows
    > Update and it telling me I needed this. Only knowing enough to get me in
    > trouble I told update to go ahead and install it. So, probably never
    > needing it ( that I can tell) can I go ahead and uninstall it without
    > invoking dire consequences?
    > Thanks Again,
    > Dusty

    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Please have a look a the following link:
    >>
    >> "What is the ASP.NET Machine Account?"
    >> http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "Dusty" <dusty_717(NoSpam)@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> For no reason (that I'm aware of) a new "user account" has suddenly
    >>> appeared. The user is asp.net. I'm dumbfounded as I have not (to my
    >>> knowledge) installed anything new from MS. The maddening part is that
    >>> now that annoying user login screen appears after several minutes. I'm
    >>> (supposed to be) the only user on my system. How did this user account
    >>> get there? Do I need it? AND how do I get my system to quit displaying
    >>> that user logon screen?
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Dusty

Microsoft Windows XP