Dusty

For no reason (that I'm aware of) a new "user account" has suddenly
appeared. The user is asp.net. I'm dumbfounded as I have not (to my
knowledge) installed anything new from MS. The maddening part is that now
that annoying user login screen appears after several minutes. I'm (supposed
to be) the only user on my system. How did this user account get there? Do I
need it? AND how do I get my system to quit displaying that user logon
screen?
Thanks,
Dusty

In news:tLidnXqfxsf5NgLcRVn-sg@giganews.com,
Dusty <dusty_717(NoSpam)@yahoo.com> typed:

> For no reason (that I'm aware of) a new "user account" has
> suddenly
> appeared. The user is asp.net. I'm dumbfounded as I have not
> (to my
> knowledge) installed anything new from MS.

Yes, you download and installed the .net framework. This is
normal.

> The maddening part is that
> now that annoying user login screen appears after several
> minutes.
> I'm (supposed to be) the only user on my system. How did this
> user
> account get there? Do I need it? AND how do I get my system to
> quit
> displaying that user logon screen?

Start | Run, type "control userpasswords2" Start | Run, type
"control userpasswords2" Select the account you want to logon to
automatically. Then uncheck the box "Users must enter a user name
and password to use this computer."

Or do the same thing with TweakUI.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Hi

Please have a look a the following link:

"What is the ASP.NET Machine Account?"
http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Dusty" <dusty_717(NoSpam)@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> For no reason (that I'm aware of) a new "user account" has suddenly
> appeared. The user is asp.net. I'm dumbfounded as I have not (to my
> knowledge) installed anything new from MS. The maddening part is that now
> that annoying user login screen appears after several minutes. I'm
> (supposed to be) the only user on my system. How did this user account get
> there? Do I need it? AND how do I get my system to quit displaying that
> user logon screen?
> Thanks,
> Dusty

Dusty

Thanks Will, you're rescued me again. I do remember being in Windows Update
and it telling me I needed this. Only knowing enough to get me in trouble I
told update to go ahead and install it. So, probably never needing it ( that
I can tell) can I go ahead and uninstall it without invoking dire
consequences?
Thanks Again,
Dusty

> Hi
>
> Please have a look a the following link:
>
> "What is the ASP.NET Machine Account?"
> http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Dusty" <dusty_717(NoSpam)@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> For no reason (that I'm aware of) a new "user account" has suddenly
>> appeared. The user is asp.net. I'm dumbfounded as I have not (to my
>> knowledge) installed anything new from MS. The maddening part is that now
>> that annoying user login screen appears after several minutes. I'm
>> (supposed to be) the only user on my system. How did this user account
>> get there? Do I need it? AND how do I get my system to quit displaying
>> that user logon screen?
>> Thanks,
>> Dusty

Hi

There are more and more programs using .NET Framework. It is best to leave
it where it is. You can logon directly to Windows by:

typing the following from Start>Run

control userpasswords2

then uncheck 'Users must enter a user name and password to use this
computer' and click 'Apply'. On the next screen - 'Automatically Log On' -
delete the name 'Administrator' from the User name box and enter your
account name and then the password in the next two boxes. OK your way out
and then reboot your system.

Or you can use Tweak UI:

You can download TweakUI from
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp and when
installed go to Programs>Powertoys for Windows XP>Tweak UI - then go to
Logon>Autologon.