Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Error 0x80070002 while making a clean install of windows 7 x64

Last response: in Windows 7
June 1, 2011 9:34:11 AM

I respectfully ask for help, this has gone obviously beyond a noob capability and i have searched the internets far and wide and can`t find an answer to my problem, so if anyone with god-like pc skills could help me i would be enormously grateful.

After saving money for quite while, i was able to finally buy a new pc, i had assembled other pc`s for my friends and never had any trouble installing windows on their systems, but now, every time i try to install windows 7 x64, the computer hangs while extracting windows files, then, after some time it prompts me with the error 0x80070002, saying that it didn`t find the required files, so i tried with many suggestions:

- Updated to the latest BIOS.

- Switched the RAM modules from A2 and B2 to A1 and B1 (my cpu fan was in the way so i had to buy another, and yup, i`m living on cup noodles).

- Ran memtest x86+ for 8 hours (no errors)

- Ran sea tools but it didn´t detect any drives (still don´t know why, and the windows 7 installer detects the hdd just fine, also tried it on another computer and works fine)

- Switched sata cables, switched sata connectors.

- Switched from ahci to ide on the Bios, but it didn´t detect any drives after that, so i returned to ahci.

- Disassembled all the pc and re-assembled it, re-checked every connection with every install guide 3 times.

- Tryied to install again, several times, with the same problem, never getting beyond the 48% extraction, mostly 12%, 9% and so on.

And right now, i´m poor, un-able to work, and dangerously nearing towards un-employement (sold my previous computer to buy this one, my savings are gone, and can´t afford to get sick, a little problem called "living in Mexico"), so please, help me.

System Specs:

CPU: intel 2600k
Cooler: Spin q vt
MB: ASUS p8p67 deluxe
RAM: Corsair Vengeance bus 1600 8gb´s 2x4 gb´s
HDD: Seagate barracuda green 2tb
VC: Zotac Nvidia gtx 580 x2
Case: HAF X

More about : error 0x80070002 making clean install windows x64

June 1, 2011 10:45:37 AM

I had issues with installing win 7 64 bit, similar to you although I can't remember if it was the exact same issue, but it was around failure to copy files when installing.

I had 4x1Gb sticks of RAM (2 branded and 2 cheap) in and I removed 2 to leave me with 2x1GB of branded RAM in. I also replaced my old CD-RW DVD-ROM with a new DVD R/W drive which I had bought at the same time as the Windows upgrade. One of those changes, or the combination of the 2 fixed the issue, personally I suspect my very old CD-ROM drive, but I have read reports of issues with RAM.

PS: I have since replaced the 2x1GB with 2x2Gb of branded RAM with no issues.
Score
June 1, 2011 11:45:00 AM

MEcanix said:
the computer hangs while extracting windows files, then, after some time it prompts me with the error 0x80070002, saying that it didn`t find the required files

Check your installation media. Do you have a friend with the same "flavor" of Windows that you can borrow their disk? Or use another machine to make a copy of the DVD to a fresh blank? Or try another optical drive? That error is usually caused by being unable to read the source disk during setup.
Score
Related resources
June 1, 2011 5:46:43 PM

Thanks OllieUK im going to try switching ODD, and report back.
Score
June 1, 2011 5:52:10 PM

Thanks nocheese, i forgot to say that the dvd´s i have used have worked before, so i´m guessing the problem is not there, but i´m going to try and find another ODD, and see how it goes.
Score
June 1, 2011 10:24:58 PM

So, i got a friend to lend me his new ODD, and i installed it on my system, results?

The same, it didn´t work, now it stopped at 19%, and the exact same error code appeared, 0x80070002 (if i get a black cat this is going to be his name).

And BTW i had tried different discs.

PLEASE HELP!
Score
June 1, 2011 10:41:46 PM

Try installing with one stick of ram. If that works, the add the second stick back. Not sure why, but sometimes that works. Have used it several times.
Score
June 1, 2011 10:43:19 PM

flycpd said:
Try installing with one stick of ram. If that works, the add the second stick back. Not sure why, but sometimes that works. Have used it several times.

Thanks a lot, gonna try that and see how goes =D
Score
June 1, 2011 11:27:25 PM

flycpd said:

Well, tried it, didn´t work, same problem as before, then again, thanks a lot for the idea.

STILL NEED HELP PLEASE!
Score
June 2, 2011 1:14:09 PM

Well different different drive and different disks has me stumped.
Score
June 2, 2011 1:55:21 PM

Never tried this so don't know if it's possible..

What about putting your HDD in a friends PC (removing theirs) and installing win7 on that PC to your drive, then switch the HDD back to your PC once done. They can then replace their HDD and it should be unaffected. Yours will see a different processor and motherboard etc so will probably need re-activation but at least the OS will be installed.

Anyone better in the know as to whether that will fly as an idea. Doesn't answer why yours isn't working but may get you an OS installed..
Score
June 2, 2011 6:14:33 PM

Thanks a lot for all the input, i´m quite perplexed, can´t find an answer, and nothing seems to work, so today i´m taking the entire system back to the store, right now i can´t think of any solution besides defective components, maybe the mother board, i don´t know, so, for now i say thanks to everyone who has helped me over this couple of days, and, well, i´ll keep you posted on how it goes.
Score
June 3, 2011 12:19:33 PM

All the checking i have done says this is a regestry conflict. The best thing I can think is to put the HDD in a different computer and totally wipe it and format it. Put it back in your system and see if you can install to a clean (like new) drive.
Score
June 10, 2011 3:33:49 AM

Today i finally got back my computer, and the results... a deffective hdd :o  it turns out that it had a really tiny bump wich caused the problem, my seller exchanged it with an apology, and now, finally i have it running.

So, thanks to everyone for your time and answers!
Score
January 17, 2012 7:48:37 PM

Try disabling floppy in BIOS and other ports not in use, worked for me on a troublesome computer in the past.
Score
October 23, 2012 8:23:59 PM

I just received a replacement SSD for a know working system and get the same error (0x80070002) at around 12% file expansion. I have never before received this this error and have done numerous fresh installs on this system. I have tried secure erasing the hard drive, installing the 32bit Windows that is on a separate disk, and tweaking various bios settings. After reading this thread I am convinced that I am receiving this error due to a defective hard drive.

Thanks
Score
February 15, 2013 4:31:28 PM

MEcanix said:
Well, tried it, didn´t work, same problem as before, then again, thanks a lot for the idea.

STILL NEED HELP PLEASE!

Installed win 8 64bit and had the same problem. Your ram must be the same. I had 2 x Samsung 1gig and 2 x Kingston 2gig. I removed the 2 x Kingston's and installed them after the installation of windows
Score
!