F00ja31

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
hi. im new to having several partitions on my hd and moving the pagefile to the other hd for better performance. the question i have is would be still ok to use my current hd Barracuda 7200.8 SATA NCQ 200gb to have a pagefile on it along with my mp3 an other files i store and buy a new seagate 7200.10 320 gb to install os and games on it or should i buy 2 7200.10s. i short on cash a bit so i wanna know if 1 new hd would be still good enough for the performance increase. thanks

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
If you buy 2 HDD's you can Raid them together for better performance, but that would be up to you. Otherwise no need to buy 2 more HDD's, you can go with your current plan. One HDD for deep storage, defrag once a month or so, one HDD for OS/Games/constant acces, defrag once a week...

OldGoat

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
I would not spend the extra cash on 2 HDD's unless you have it. your old HD will do fine for your storage needs. If you want to put your page file on the non OS drive then I would recommend creating a small 10-15GB partition on the drive for the pagefile. It will help keep the drive from becoming fragmented.

SciPunk

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I disagree w/ Oldgoat, only in that I believe you should physcially seperate your OS/apps from your data IF YOU POSSIBLY CAN. Even if you are low on cash, this is well worth the money for many reasons. Most important, you re-partion and low-level-format your OS/apps drive with no worries about loosing your precious and irreplaceable data (or even your P-I-T-A to replace data). You could even swap in a brand new drive and re-install OS and gain access to your data... or swap the data drive into another computer to access your data. It just makes so much sence, everybody ought to do it.

He is absolutely right about the additional partition for the page file on the 2nd drive, but it is not necessary, especially if you observe Doughbuy's advice and defrag regularly.

F00ja31

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
can u tell me if this is a good way to organize my hds.

Drive 1 320 seagate

Partition 1 C 50 gig): (Os/apps/games,pagefile --> what size here if i have 2 gig mem?) is it better to have your "program files folder "with all your apps on a new partition or keep it all together?
Partition 2 D: (100mb): temporary file partition holding temp and temporary internet files

Partition 3 E: the rest of the space
Create a folder on E: for each user account. Call it “Account Name’s” Folder
Move each user's "Desktop" and "My Documents" folders to their folder on E:
IE and OE users should move both their Favorites and Email store folder to their folder on E:
Downloaded programs: Original downloads preserved to assist in future reinstallations -> should this be on a new partition?

Drive 2 200gig seagte

Partition 1 G: (3gb?) for pagefile. how big should my pagefile be if i have 2gig mem then?
Partition H: the rest of the space backup of os,
apps, movies mp3s, etc in seperate folders

please tell me if this setup is good or needs significant changes. im not sure how to back up properly so advice would be much appreciated in that area. i created this setup looking at other forums and searching the web.

OldGoat

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
Sorry I did not make my reply clear. The OP asked if he should by one or two new drives in addition to his existing HDD. I assumed that the comment about two HDD would be understood as still buy one HDD to go with the existing... anyway I'm digressing again (bad habit)

Your layout looks good, but I would make these changes:

Drive 1 : 320GB

Partition 1: 50-100GB depends on the amount of games and software you plan to install

Partition 2: 500MB - Temp Internet Files (depends on your surfing habits)

Partition 3: Rest of drive
Downloaded programs: Original downloads preserved to assist in future reinstallations -> should this be on a new partition?
No, just create a folder for them

Drive: 2 200GB
Partition 1: 5-10 GB - Pagefile (This is abit much but you never kknow when you will need it)

Partition 2: rest of drive

One thing to remember everyone has different opinions on this, read what everyone has to say and get a feel for what you think is best for you. What I put above is what I would do if I had those two HDD's.
I hope this helps

F00ja31

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
so where should i put my user data (my document folder, desktop, favorites, downloaded program, etc) 3rd partition?

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Moving the page file has very little affect on performance.

If you are using virtual memory that much that it does make a difference, you need to buy more memory not another hard drive.

If you happend to have a 2nd hard drive anyway, then by all means move your page file location, but don't expect dramatic changes.

RAID 0 improves tranfer rates dramaitcally, but has little impact on most real world performance and introduces greater risk.

In general people usually assume that their hard drive is limiting their performance, when in fact they hard drive is having zero affect on performance.

BTW Move your OS to your newer, faster drive using True Image 9, create seperate OS and Data partitions on that drive and one partition on all remaing drives.

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
hi. im new to having several partitions on my hd and moving the pagefile to the other hd for better performance. the question i have is would be still ok to use my current hd Barracuda 7200.8 SATA NCQ 200gb to have a pagefile on it along with my mp3 an other files i store and buy a new seagate 7200.10 320 gb to install os and games on it or should i buy 2 7200.10s. i short on cash a bit so i wanna know if 1 new hd would be still good enough for the performance increase. thanks

yeah if you run 2 harddrives i would run a Raid 0 setup that will be hella fast compared to a IDE drive. I just recently got my first SATA drive and it was a huge improvement i was surprised.