All this talk about the 7900GTO.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
It seems that the hype of this 7900GTO seems to have come a long way. From the appreance to the statisitcs on the drawing board, it looks like a real mid-range contender in the 200-300 USD price range. With the possibility of overclocking it, it can be turned into a GTX for a good fraction of the cost. And the appreance itself makes it look like a actual 7900GTX.

So your all thinking right now most likely: "The x1900xt is still the prime contender regardless of what the 7900GTO does."
Now that may be true, but after the overclock it literally takes blow for blow on the charts between the x1900xt and the GTO. It defintely i think outperforms the new 7950GT, which is being sold around 300 retail. While the 7900GTO which i have only seen on tigerdirect is 270, but after a rebate is 230. The price and performance are par with the x1900xt. So i think the x1900xt may have met a challenge in its area. Sure the x1900xt supports HDR and full AA, but if your really a nvidia fan, or just have had troubles with Ati in the past, then the 7900GTO i would say is the best counterpart for the 200-300 price range.

It seems that the hype of this 7900GTO seems to have come a long way. From the appreance to the statisitcs on the drawing board, it looks like a real mid-range contender in the 200-300 USD price range. With the possibility of overclocking it, it can be turned into a GTX for a good fraction of the cost. And the appreance itself makes it look like a actual 7900GTX.

So your all thinking right now most likely: "The x1900xt is still the prime contender regardless of what the 7900GTO does."
Now that may be true, but after the overclock it literally takes blow for blow on the charts between the x1900xt and the GTO. It defintely i think outperforms the new 7950GT, which is being sold around 300 retail. While the 7900GTO which i have only seen on tigerdirect is 270, but after a rebate is 230. The price and performance are par with the x1900xt. So i think the x1900xt may have met a challenge in its area. Sure the x1900xt supports HDR and full AA, but if your really a nvidia fan, or just have had troubles with Ati in the past, then the 7900GTO i would say is the best counterpart for the 200-300 price range.

the 7900GTO which i have only seen on tigerdirect is 270, but after a rebate is 230

The 8 series is just around the corner. Two seventy or even two thirty will get you a card that will be blown away performance-wise in no time. You can buy an x800gto PCIE for under a hundred dollars on Newegg.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
But how much will that performance realistically cost?

If I play at 1280 rez, do I need that kind of horsepower for $700??? No way the new cards will debut at "affordable" prices like $400. No way. Which means for a good percentage of the gaming population that can't afford elitist pricing, what do they do?

Grabbing an X1900XT 256 (or even 512) at a very reasonable price still ensures great performance. Jacking up a 7900 GTO to GTX speeds at an "affordable" price is also very attractive. Could keep someone happily gaming for a year until the Vista and DX!0 bugs are worked out, DX10 cards start to drop in price, and they learn from their initial release mistakes.

$300 for a current rocket is a great deal if it lasts a year. Then sell it for $100 and upgrade across the board............?

Dangit, I wish NV would drop their prices. I've had nothing but trouble with ATI and I'm gun shy to get the X1900XT 256. I can't argue with its performance-to-price ratio, but I wish I could stick with NV for the time being. Prices for them are killer tho. The GTO might be an option.......

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006

the 7900GTO which i have only seen on tigerdirect is 270, but after a rebate is 230

The 8 series is just around the corner. Two seventy or even two thirty will get you a card that will be blown away performance-wise in no time. You can buy an x800gto PCIE for under a hundred dollars on Newegg.

Yea, but i dont think anyone here is going to spend 500+ bucks on G80 based cards. In regards to skyguy: I too like the GTO performance and price ratio their giving versus the other 79 series cards. Seems like a real nice card, and will indefintely hold over until DX10 and vista are released. I have 2 7900GTXs myself, so the chances of me buying a DX10 card are far from near.

The top card here is the 128 DDR3 version

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Short-List-Gaming-Video-money-ftopict169937.html

This is the 256bit 256MB version.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814131007

I have several $400 cards that are obsolete. One that comes to mind is my ASUS 5950 Ultra. It's sitting in a cardboard box mothballed. Same will be true for my two $400 a piece 7800gt's soon. Goes for my x1800xt too. That is only a $200 card if Sapphire sends my rebate.

While it is probably the most Cleeve worthy 79xx, I sure haven't seen much info on it. There's that French review that's been all over the forums, but anyone else pit this thing against X1900XT yet? I'd like to read a in-depth comparison.

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/639-3/comparatif-gpu-dx9-200-350.html

I know this discussion is about comparing 7900gto (where is it) and x1900xt, but I've hijacked the thread once so why not. Sold my FX5200 for $30 the other day. I think the guy upgraded from a 440 or similar. He asked if I had a card with 128Mb RAM and I sold it to him. I took my 5950 Ultra along and when I pulled it out of the box there was a lot of ohhhing and ahhhhing. "Feel this...now this is a video card!" :lol:

Just got my x800gto 256MB today. $86. I already have the same card, but in AGP. I'll put that in my micro case with my Pentium D 805 Smithfield and take it to the office and get ohhhhing...ahhhhhhhh! LOL! My wife's 19" widescreen came today with my gto. Can't wait to hook her up with it. She must have had her eye on mine because when I mentioned she could have a widescreen like mine for $179 she didn't hesitate...much :lol:

I hope the 6600GT at 500/1000mhz does well on that new widescreen. The computer is a 2.4 A64 with ABIT MB AGP. I have the 660GT, the 800gto (my best AGP card), a 9600 xt 500/780 DDR2 and the ASUS 5950 ultra. I think the x800gto is better than the 6600GT. Thanks.

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
While it is probably the most Cleeve worthy 79xx, I sure haven't seen much info on it. There's that French review that's been all over the forums, but anyone else pit this thing against X1900XT yet? I'd like to read a in-depth comparison.

I know this discussion is about comparing 7900gto (where is it) and x1900xt, but I've hijacked the thread once so why not. Sold my FX5200 for $30 the other day. I think the guy upgraded from a 440 or similar. He asked if I had a card with 128Mb RAM and I sold it to him. I took my 5950 Ultra along and when I pulled it out of the box there was a lot of ohhhing and ahhhhing. "Feel this...now this is a video card!" :lol:

Just got my x800gto 256MB today. $86. I already have the same card, but in AGP. I'll put that in my micro case with my Pentium D 805 Smithfield and take it to the office and get ohhhhing...ahhhhhhhh! LOL! My wife's 19" widescreen came today with my gto. Can't wait to hook her up with it. She must have had her eye on mine because when I mentioned she could have a widescreen like mine for $179 she didn't hesitate...much :lol:

I hope the 6600GT at 500/1000mhz does well on that new widescreen. The computer is a 2.4 A64 with ABIT MB AGP. I have the 660GT, the 800gto (my best AGP card), a 9600 xt 500/780 DDR2 and the ASUS 5950 ultra. I think the x800gto is better than the 6600GT. Thanks.

I bought a 7900 GTO to replace my x1900xtx. Tired of the heat and power pull.

You need to do what I do, pull and sell the "hot" card for a minor loss, and stay away from the loss of your entire grubstake.

You need to do what I do, pull and sell the "hot" card for a minor loss, and stay away from the loss of your entire grubstake.

Yeah, I wish I could sell some of my stuff. I think ATI's re-release of some of the X series cards like the 800 series for cheap prices was a smart move. I bought a re-released 9600xt that is super nice for $69! LOL! Two of them! Great deal! Maybe next year there will be a re-release of the 7900 GT for under a hundred bucks. Probably not, those cards will be on Ebay for years until it costs more to ship one than they are worth.

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
I know this discussion is about comparing 7900gto (where is it) and x1900xt, but I've hijacked the thread once so why not.
Usually when people hijack a thread, they talk about at least something that pertains to the topic at hand :roll:

If you want to talk about your 5200, you should start a new thread.

Usually when people hijack a thread, they talk about at least something that pertains to the topic at hand :roll:

Yeah, my post to Paul was an extension of other messages Paul has answered some questions for me. Like I said, the topic is a good one and I didn't want to Ef it up.

If you want to talk about your 5200, you should start a new thread.[/

I'm interested in the 7900gto compared to the x1900xt. Most of the 7series cards wimp out against comporable ATI's as I see. I could be wrong. Thanks to both you and Paul for the insightful information.

pauldh

Illustrious

So let me get this straight. You paid money to give up performance, better IQ, the ability to do fsaa+HDR in Oblivion and Farcry, and a card that pumps 100% of it's hot air outside the case, for a slower card with crappier textures at default driver settings, that makes you choose between HDR and AA, and pumps 50% of it's hot air into the case, All to save $5 a year in electricity? I don't get it:?

pauldh

Illustrious
I still gots me a 128-bit FX5200. Whoohoo! Upgraded from a Ti4600, yesum I did. :tongue:

The 256MB PCI-e X800GTO + free wireless nic for $86 was a tempting deal for me. Just too close in price to a 7600GT though.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
So let me get this straight. You paid money to give up performance, better IQ, the ability to do fsaa+HDR in Oblivion and Farcry, and a card that pumps 100% of it's hot air outside the case, for a slower card with crappier textures at default driver settings, that makes you choose between HDR and AA, and pumps 50% of it's hot air into the case, All to save $5 a year in electricity? I don't get it:?
Think of all that money he's saving on his power bill! :lol: Seriously, there is no helping people sometimes.

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Fukc it...this thread is now about my computer.

saturated2em4.jpg

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

Well, here it is-

$250 for the 7900 GTX, flash bios to 7900 GTX, then OC that.

Benchies are neck and neck with the xtx on most games.

Sell the xtx for $325, pocket the $75 dollars for tiny , if even any frame loss, along with a silent and less power grubbing card.

I have an accelero x2 on the xtx, so no heat gets out of the box, and my e6600 has a hard time staying below 60c after 1-2 hrs of cooking the cpu with ~80c temps. I am OCing it fairly hard, and every degree counts.

Worst case, I try the GTO, it does not perform, and away it goes, but if it does come close, my xtx heads downstream, temps reduce by a good margin, and no worries getting "stuck" with a $250 vs $385 card.

pauldh

Illustrious
I figured you must have an aftermarket cooler. Asked you that in another thread but didn't get a reply. Nice to be able to play with both and decide which to keep.

I still would prefer the X1900XTX and think it's the better card, but hey it's your rig, your money. $325 used is steep and out of my range but the $150 offer still stands if you can't get rid of it. :wink: G'luck with the new toy.

I still gots me a 128-bit FX5200. Whoohoo! Upgraded from a Ti4600, yesum I did. :tongue:

The 256MB PCI-e X800GTO + free wireless nic for $86 was a tempting deal for me. Just too close in price to a 7600GT though.

I just got the $86 PCI-e x800gto running just now. The 256 bit interface with 256 DDR3 is nice! This card should serve me well. I'm very hapy to get a card that will do this for under a hundred bucks. It's pretty amazing. The kids I help would love this power. Yeah, I didn't know what to charge the guy for the FX5200. We eat at his restaurant several times a week and He asked. I said $35 then said $30 will be fine. You know Pauldh, I funny like that. Parting with computer stuff is sentimental. And I was a professional collectibles dealer for ten years. have bought and sold collectibles up the ying yang and never felt bad letting them o when I was making money. Still have my 1794 penny though. 8)

I have two 7600GT at 580/1500 in SLI on my son's system. The heart of the Nvidia 7series along with the 79gt. Nice.