amd k8 processor without fan or heatsink

chrone

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
has anyone ever tried to run or has experience on the amd k8 processor without cpu fan running or even a heatsink attached?

i saw tom's hardware small movie about old amd vs old intel processor when they're running without heatsink and with a quick the amd processor suddenly fried itself and the mobo. i wonder what it would be with the amd k8 processor.

as for intel celeron socket 478 1.8ghz, i've had this experience when the cpu fan cable stucked in the fan and made it stop running for two weeks long. i just knew when i check the temperature from asus probe and found the fan rpm was 0. the cpu and other related hardware attached to the system still running fine until the current moment.

has anyone ever tried to run amd k8 processor without fan running or even a heatsink attached?

i saw tom's hardware small movie about old amd vs old intel processor when they're running without heatsink and with a quick the amd processor suddenly fried itself and the mobo. i wonder what it would be with the amd k8 processor.

Using a CPU without even a heatsink is just plain stupid. No one should try it unless you are stupid, bored and have money falling out of your ass. In that order.

theaxemaster

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Considering I ran one once without a fan (on accident) and the heatsink burned my fingers (and the system powered off due to the temps) I wouldn't recommend it.

You could do it with just a heatsink on a celeron, but not on the k8's. The dissapative power just isn't there.

chrone

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
oops.. i think i should change the topic is not about testing but experience. sorry for the language here, can't speak english well. :)

chrone

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
are they still running right now? i just want to make sure about this thing if there's new feature in amd processor which can handle accident like this.

most of users don't pay attention if the cpu fan running or not, or is the heatsink correctly attached to the cpu/mobo or not.

as for me, i'm kind of feel secure when running a processor which won't burn out itself or the hardware surrounds it when an accident such as cpu fan dies or so happens.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
That link is pretty neat. :wink: I fired a duron chip one time when I put the heat sink on backwards.............only took a fraction of a second for the thing to fry.

leop23

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
k8 processors are the athlon64's right? if that is so, i think they have onchip sensors that monitor overheat, unlike the older thunderbird and duron cpus... :?

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
the motherboard i have for example, can be set to shut down the system when the cpu reaches a certain temperature (60C, 65C, or 70C on my particular motherboard), effectively cutting off any additional heat at that point, and preserving the cpu and motherboard as well, so, by way of that, your system is protected from burning up... ...but again, without even so much as a cpu heatsink attached, your cpu will fry inside of a second, regardless of what shutdown or throttling mechanisms you have, you can go without the attached fan being enabled, but only for so long on a standard nonpassive heatsink, as the heatsink itself would slowly heat up, and have no way to be effectively cooled, there are some passive heatsinks you can use, but again, because theyre passive, they can get VERY hot after awhile (better to not touch them then, lol).

neocristi

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
There is also a video on tom's hardware where a K8 is kept runing without the heatsink for a couple of seconds. After that, the Pc shuts down, processor survives.

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
well... even then, if a processor could avoid being broken after only a couple seconds, as you said in that video... there wouldnt be a point to it; you couldnt do anything productive in that time, except hope that its not permanently damaged.