LOCKING XP -- INTERNET CAFE

November 20, 2004 1:30:11 PM

I work at a small hotel with a couple of computers that I want to lock down.
Guests and staff are always messing around with the settings and breaking
things.

I want to lock down XP pro.

* forbid access to Internet Explorer, except for one site. Firefox 1.0 is
the default browser
* forbid access to any internet connection settings -- someone disabled the
wireless network connection last night.
* forbid access to as much as possible to reduce the amount of time I spend
fixing things.

Ideally, on the guest computer I only want them to have access to Firefox
browser, Yahoo Messenger, and MSN Messenger.

For the front desk computer, I want to block all access to IE, except for
one site -- our camera network requires IE to display on the computer.
On the guest internet computer, I want to block all use of IE except for
McAfee security center if possible.

The budget is zero so I cannot afford to purchase internet cafe software.

Thanks for any advice.

More about : locking internet cafe

Anonymous
November 21, 2004 10:52:55 PM

Turn them off or Cut the power cords on the computer.
Problem solved, next problem.................

Sorry (just a little humor);
Actually you should create limited user accounts for the general public.
Go to control panel, users and give that a try.
!