der_meister

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
IM looking at either a seasonic or an OCZ. i want to go +600w so i have room to expand to a dx10 card in the fallowing months. Any other good ones i should know about?

thanks guys

Check out the FSP Group FX700-GLN. I am tempted to say "it's FSP and it's awesome" and leave it at that in honor of greenjelly's recent comments about psu recommendations, If greenjelly is reading this please stop here :wink:

Everyone else, check out the review xbitlabs has some good details about this unit.

here they discuss the construction and mention the impressive use of parallel high current diode packs for "proper" heat distribution and in testing the unit here is what they found:

Xbitlabs[/url]"]The PSU proved to work normally under a sustained load of 680W and the temperature of the heatsink with the diode packs, which is the hottest one, was not higher than 70°C at that...

The voltage ripple on the +5V, +12V and +3.3V rails was 42, 78 and 43 millivolts, the allowable maximums being 50, 120 and 50 millivolts, respectively...

This PSU is among the quietest ones ever tested in our labs at loads lower than 300-400W and is definitely quieter than any earlier produced power supply from FSP, except for fan-less ones, of course...

The manufacturer declares an efficiency of 85% and is honest about that, as you can see. The power factor is not so good, but the difference between the Epsilon’s 0.97-0.98 and many other PSUs’ 0.99 is really negligible...

So, the FSP Epsilon FX700-GLN power supply is a very well-made model and is a worthy replacement for the previous THN series. It is a very quiet and high-wattage unit that yields stable voltages and is well equipped with various connectors. It is also not very expensive at $180 which is not too much for a PSU with characteristics like these...
Have to quote the summary as well...

Xbitlabs[/url]"]Conclusion

Without any doubt, the best products in this review are the power supplies from Enermax, FSP Group and Zalman. Top-quality and easy-to-use, these power supplies can meet the requirements of almost any modern computer and be quiet at that. It’s hard to choose among these models as each of them can satisfy the majority of users.

My experience with FSP / SPI brand is this - our company deploys thousands of linux based appliances worldwide and FSP/SPI brand is used for the majority of the low power (250w-350w) applications and they have an extremely low failure rate. For the higher power units, the PCP&C 510ATX is our choice. Both brands are extremely reliable, the reason for our choices of deployment.

680w of continuous output is a ludicrous amount of power, hopefully it will be enough for DX10.

I would go with the Seasonic S12 600, I have the S12 500. It pretty quiet and efficient too (80%+).

The first generation of DX10 GPUs will be pretty power hungry (130w - 300w), but I believe I've read second generation versions will require less power.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
My top choice is Corsair's 620W Modular unit, the HX620w.

It was tested, and came out on top because of its abillity to shift the load among its mulitple 12v rails. This means that even though a 700W unit may have more wattage, because the Corsair unit can push more amps on its rails, it will probably be a much better choice for multi-GPU setups in the next gerneration. And they may make a unit with even more wattage, too.

What are you intending to run on the PSU, anyway?

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
The OCZ PSU is basically a Fortran unit, so that doesn't make a difference.

I think the OCZ is better than the Seasonic looks wise, performance wise both are about the same. I would go with the 700W GameXStream.

The Antec Trio 650W got some decent reviews, a kind of basic PSU, but decently stable and cheap.

If you want best best, PC P&C 1kW is the way to go.

Enermax Galaxy, TT Toughpower, and the Corsair CMPSU-HX620 is also really nice.

Don't forget Silverstone Zeus either, a lot of people like that one too.

der_meister

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
the system will be buitl in january.

2 HD's 1 250gb and 1 500gb
im looking heavily into the Qx6700, but its still undecided
DDR2-1066
A DX10 GPU of some sort
and then my Theermaltake tsunami case
and mabye the rev B scythe ninja, i dont want to deal with water cooling juxt yet.

and it will all be OC'd to some point, that i feel happy with the Oc.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
No need for DDR2-1066, since the price premium probably wont justify the cost.

HDD wise, 2 320 gig PMR drive's would probably be better, 320 is also pretty much one of the best price per gig storage right now, although 400 has pretty good deals.

DX10 ain't out yet, so we'll skip that for now.

Rev B Scythe Ninja or Infinity, your choice on that. I like the Infinity, but its only 1-2 degree different anyways.

Either way, I see it, 300W graphic + 120W CPU + 100W everything else... min of 520W at load. 600W+ should be fine.

I would go with the GameXStream, 600W if you don't plan on adding excessive stuff to your computer, 700W if your planning on maxing HDD's and other bling bling stuff.

1000W if you want to SLI or XFire DX10 cards.

Synthetickiller

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
If you need a kilowatt psu, look at the galaxy 1000 watt by enermax. Its abotu 350 (150 cheaper than the PC power and cooling brand) and just as reliable. Its an incredible PSU if you have the room in your case (most don't). I believe they said that although its rated at 1000 watts, you can pull 1100 or even possibly 1200 if the need exists. Plus its efficiency is 85%. Plus it has 5 12v rails.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817194008

there is also an 850 watt version.

Not to knock PC cooling & power, they make incredible products. I just couldn't justify spending another 150 bucks on a PSU when that 150 doesn't much you anything extra.

It was tested, and came out on top because of its abillity to shift the load among its mulitple 12v rails. This means that even though a 700W unit may have more wattage, because the Corsair unit can push more amps on its rails, it will probably be a much better choice for multi-GPU setups in the next gerneration. And they may make a unit with even more wattage, too.

The Corsair PSU is good too, especially since it is made by Seasonic, but it wasn't one of the two choices.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
IM looking at either a seasonic or an OCZ. i want to go +600w so i have room to expand to a dx10 card in the fallowing months. Any other good ones i should know about?

Both OCZ GameXtremes have MIRs going now. The 700 watt unit is 15 bucks more than the 600 watter, and since you plan to do DX10 and an OC on the CPU, I'd lean to the 700.

In that range, units by Sea Sonic and mushkin should be considered. For your planned rig, I'd want at least 40A of +12V current capability. The mushkin, PCP&C, FSP and OCZ are made at the same plant, but to different specs. So don't just think that FSP is identical to OCZ, etc. The mushkin provides 44A, the OCZ 700 claims 56A, etc. You can find a boatload of in-depth reviews at Jonny Guru.

der_meister

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006

The Corsair PSU is good too, especially since it is made by Seasonic, but it wasn't one of the two choices.

I was looking at that one as well, ive re4ad some good reviews on it. but i didnt see how a 620W is $175, though i do like its cable management system.

TRENDING THREADS