Need help with my Core 2 Duo e6700

ochinchin

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
The temperatures on my e6700 are too high. Intel's TAT gives me readings of 51 C idle on both cores and both cores at 69 C under full load. Same readings with Coretemp. BIOS and PC Probe give me idle temps at 35 C and 52 C under full load. When I ran the processor under load and temps went up to 69 C in TAT I carefully touched the heatsink but it was only somewhat warm to the touch. Are the readings wrong? I really want to get the temperatures down. Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

My system:

P5W DH Deluxe
Zalman CNPS9500 LED
Intel Core 2 Duo e6700 (stock speed)
Thermaltake Armor case
one 12cm intake fan, one 12cm and 9cm exhaust fan on the back of case, and one 9cm exhaust on the top
Sapphire Radeon X1900XTX
Creative X-Fi Platinum
OCZ Game Xstream 700w PSU
1x WD 74GB Raptor
2X WD 250GB Caviar SE

ochinchin

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
Yes the fanless side of the heatsink is facing the rear 12cm exhaust fan. I think I'll try moving the 3 HDD's to the cage near the PSU where my 9cm rear exhaust fan will cool it. Is the rear 9cm exhaust fan enough to cool my Raptor and 2 Caviar SE16's? When installing my Zalman I put AS5 on the processor heatspreader in a thin line down the middle following AS5 site instructions. I followed the instructions on the Zalman USA and Arctic Silver site very closely and I beleive my Zalman CNPS9500 is mounted correctly. I have disabled all Q-Fan control for CPU and case fans in the BIOS. Thanks for your reply! :D

wurmy

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I have a VERY similar configuration as you. The readings I get off of AI Booster are as follows: 22 celcius Idle and low forties under load. This is with the stock heatsink so there is definately a problem. I have my raptors (2) back in the rear hd cage next to the PSU. I initially thought this may cause heat issues with them being so close to the PSU and the cpu heatsink but it runs cool and even better ...quiet (those raptors are FAR from silent.) Now I don't know if this helps, but as I installed units into the 5 1/2 inch bays I tried to keep the lowest slots open to produce a better airstream and reduce turbulence. Hope this helps, at least you will know that using the rear cage doesn't produce heat issues. I only have 1 250 gig and it stayed up front right behind the 120mm fan.

buckt4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
My P180 case has a top and rear vent. I had a 9500 cooler from old PC (diff case) and tried orienting the 9500 out the top and back of P180 but the fans were too close together and it seemed to disrupt the exhaust airflow. I replaced the 9500 with a TT Big Typhoon and the airflow seemed much better.

I ran ASUS Probe and Intel TAT at the same time, IDLE = first five minutes after boot up, then LOAD = 5 minutes after setting TAT to generate 100% load on both cores. It is weird how far apart Asus Probe and Intel TAT are... almost 20-C for me?!? I was pretty pleased with myself until I found the Intel TAT temps were 20-C higher.

Current temps:
Ambient (outside) = 71 F

ASUS PC-Probe:
IDLE: 21-C CPU / 37-C MB
Load: 40-C CPU / 40-C MB (+/- 1-C)

Intel TAT:
IDLE: 39-C
Load: 60-C (+/- 1-C)

My system:
C2D-6700
TT BigTyphoon with AS5
Asus P5W-DH Deluxe
Antec P180 Case
3X120mm Antec fans (medium setting)
2Gig Patriot XBL RAM
BFG 7900GTXOC
Raptor Drive in lower/isolated cage
520W P/S

ochinchin

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
The ambient temperature is around 29 C give or take a degree or two. I live in a very warm place. I am still in school right now and I will move the HDD to the rear cage once I get home. Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated. :D

Aids

Distinguished
May 16, 2004
And while he is at it, since he is buying liquid nitrogen, he can go ahead and buy my DirectX 10 card when it comes out.

I agree with jack though, try re-arranging those drives and see what kind of temps you get. You say you live in a warm place, what is your ambient room temperature?

Edit: i just noticed that you posted your ambient temperature. doh!

ochinchin

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
Yes, I live in a very hot and humid city. Does the ambient temperature affect it all that much? Well I put 2 of my HDD's in the rear cage and it didn't help much. The temperatures are stumping me. :? Thank you for your advice though, you've been very helpful. I really appreciate everything. :D On idle my BIOS is giving me 35 C and TAT at 51 C both cores. I guess I'll have to live with these temps until I have the time to fiddle around with the system more. Mid-terms are coming up and I'm becoming very busy at college. When on full load on both cores TAT gives readings of 68 C which is unusually hot for C2D's, and when I carefully touch the CPU heatsink it is barely warm. Does this mean anything? Thanks again. :D If you come up with any other things I could try let me know.

Edit: Temps did not change after moving 2 of my HDD's to the rear cage. It seems airflow has improved and motherboard temps have gone down a little but the CPU temps remain the same! I'm very confused. :?

ochinchin

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
My front 12cm intake fan is at a mean of 2700 RPM, top 9cm exhaust has a mean of 3500 RPM, back 12cm exhaust has a mean of 2600 RPM, back 9cm exhaust has a mean of 4000 RPM. The CPU fan has a mean of 2400 RPM. I may reapply AS5 and try using less the next time. I applied a line of AS5 down the middle of the heatspreader according to AS5 instructions for C2D. Thickness of the line was about 1-1.25mm thick. I may have used too much thermal compound and it may be affecting the contact between CPU and heatsink. Is this plausible? If so, how should I reapply AS5 if the instructions for application on their site is not the best? Thanks for feedback! :D

ochinchin

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
I did the wiggle method as per instructions by AS5. I don't know how I did applying the thermal compound though. The line down the middle wasn't perfect and it had varying thicknesses of about 1-1.25mm. Does the line have to absolutely be the same thickness? If so, how thick should I strive to make the line for AS5? Thanks! :D I'm sorry if some of the things I say does not make perfect sense. English is my 2nd language~

jimwillsher

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
I don't wish to detract from the OP's problem, but I'm experiencing the same issues.

[code:1:88792460d5]Asus P5-WDG2 WS Pro
C2D E6700
Antec Sonata II case
4 x SATA drives mounted at front (normal place)
2 x optical drives mounted at front (normal place)
1 x floppy drive mounted at front (normal place)
4 x Corsair 1GB C4-6400
Asus 7900GTX 512MB card

Arctic Freezer Pro 7 fan
120mm chassis fan at rear, blowing out the back
80mm chassis fan at front, blowing across the mainboard from in front of SATA drives[/code:1:88792460d5]

My idle temperature is around 56 in both cores. Load temperature (3dMark06, Prime95 etc) can reach 69. Ambient is around 22. Everest 3.01 Ultimate and TAT report the same.

I've tried everything I can. When I installed the Arctic Freezer I cleaned the CPU heatspreader and Freezer with ArctiClean 1 and 2, then applied a thin band (1mm wide) of Arctic Silver 5. I went to within 3 or 4 mm or the edge of the heatspreader, in a vertical direction (e.g. in line with the CPU core). Unfortunately I have problems with the LGA775-style cooler mounts (the four legged thing) and it takes a few goes to get it to seat proprly. It's now seated happily, but it probably spread the AS5 round a bit.

CPU fan according to Everest is 1311; this increases to 5000-odd under heavy load.

All other fans are working fine.

Does anyone have any advice? I've done all I can, yet cannot get the idle temps the right side of 55, let alone 35! Is it possible that a batch of E6700 chips is running hotter than designed?

Help!

Many thanks (and sorry for the ramble).

Jim