Nikon Coolscan III (LS-30) and NeatImage

Has anyone used NeatImage with the Coolscan III? Is there a profile
available? I'm trying to clean up my scanned pictures.

Thanks in advance.
Craig

[to reply directly, change the VERB to a NUMERAL]

"Craig Williams" <cwillyATE@yahoo.com> writes:

> Has anyone used NeatImage with the Coolscan III? Is there a profile
> available? I'm trying to clean up my scanned pictures.

There aren't profiles for film scanner, because the noise depends on the
film used and the exposure when scanning. I am not totally sure about
the latter. But you have to use different profiles for the different
films.

regards
Markus

In article <8765cikj4y.fsf@plailis.daheim.bs>,
spam_me_here@gitteundmarkus.de says...
> "Craig Williams" <cwillyATE@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > Has anyone used NeatImage with the Coolscan III? Is there a profile
> > available? I'm trying to clean up my scanned pictures.
>
> There aren't profiles for film scanner, because the noise depends on the
> film used and the exposure when scanning. I am not totally sure about
> the latter. But you have to use different profiles for the different
> films.

Profiles are very easy to setup and save for future use.

Mike Tuthill <mtuthillnospam@shaw.ca> writes:
> spam_me_here@gitteundmarkus.de says:
>> "Craig Williams" <cwillyATE@yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>> > Has anyone used NeatImage with the Coolscan III? Is there a
>> > profile available? I'm trying to clean up my scanned pictures.
>>
>> There aren't profiles for film scanner, because the noise depends on
>> the film used and the exposure when scanning. I am not totally sure
>> about the latter. But you have to use different profiles for the
>> different films.
>
> Profiles are very easy to setup and save for future use.

Yes of course, but because of the variety of films there isn't a source
to download profiles AFAIK. Of course I also store them for the films I
use.

regards
Markus

In article <877jwyi07q.fsf@plailis.daheim.bs>,
spam_me_here@gitteundmarkus.de says...
> Mike Tuthill <mtuthillnospam@shaw.ca> writes:
> > spam_me_here@gitteundmarkus.de says:

> >> There aren't profiles for film scanner, because the noise depends on
> >> the film used and the exposure when scanning. I am not totally sure
> >> about the latter. But you have to use different profiles for the
> >> different films.
> >
> > Profiles are very easy to setup and save for future use.
>
> Yes of course, but because of the variety of films there isn't a source
> to download profiles AFAIK. Of course I also store them for the films I
> use.

My personal opinion is that one should probably resample each new roll
of film regardless of what profiles you've saved as there are obviously
going to be variations between different production runs. That may be
extreme, and I certainly don't practise what I preach, however if your
needs are mission critical then perhaps it isn't such a bad idea.

That being said, I was glad to see that there is a profile available for
my Panasonic FZ10. I've had to do my own profiles for my SLRs though.