Sign in with
Your question

Can a SATA2 HD work on a SATA1 board?

Last response: in Storage
October 2, 2006 9:17:19 PM

My comp is 2.5 years old and I figured it's time to lose that antique IDE HD of mine. I know my board supports SATA1 but 2 wasnt even invented when I got it.

Oh and one more thing, Seagate or WD?

More about : sata2 work sata1 board

October 2, 2006 10:07:08 PM

Yes there is a jumper setting on the HDD you will need to go to your HDD maker website to find the correct jumper setting and it should work. If its a WD then from the legacy ports its on the third set of pins up and down not side to side. That will make the HDD run at 1.5 instead of the 3.0
October 3, 2006 1:24:35 AM

SATA devices supporting the various transfer rate options (1.5, 3.0 6.0 Gbps) are all forwards and backwards compatible.

There are a few motherboards with bad SATA controllers that inform the SATA device what interfaces are supported.

Most drives supporting SATA 3.0 speeds are smart enough to set themselves to 1.6 Gbps when connecting to one of thes messed up controllers.

If you have a messed up SATA controller and a stupid SATA 3.0 hard drive only then do you need to manually jumper the drive to 1.5 Gbps.

BTW there is no such thing as SATA 1 and SATA 2 and there is no performance diffence between 1.5 and 3.0 Gbps drives.
!