First Time Build - Steps for Troublshooting - no Video Outpu

nvt

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
OK - I took the plunge and now I am panicking.
I paid up for a bare bones system and built it carefully followign instructions and checking.
Things fired up and the power is workign and driving the hard drives and I see a Power LED
But the VGA port out is showing nothing - blank - zip nada
I used to feel competent but this is a blank for me as I have no idea how to trouble shoot this.

MSI PM8PM-V Socket 77f mother board wiht a Ultra Wizard Mid Atx Tower Case

Any pointers, links suggestions woud be greatly appreciated

THanks,

Nic

nvt

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
you need a graphics card. its has a special socket that connects to ur monitor.
Thanks for the response - I see the AGP 8x slot but in all other PC's that I have taken apart and maintained they have a VGA port direct out from the Motherboard - as does this Motherboard.
I beleived that you could use the basic video and if you wanted to upgrade teh video and add an video card at a later date.

I wnt to be sure as if this is the problem - it is an easy fix, but equalyy I am not keen to drop more money on an already expensive paper wieght

Thanks,

nvt

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
OK - Here are the details:
Purchased as a TigerDirect BareBones Kit - so I expected everything to work together:
Ultra Wizard Mid ATX Case
MSI PM8PM-V Socket 775 Motherboard
Intel Pentium D 840 3.2GHz DT 800FSB Socket 775
Mascool 8W0141B Socket 775 CPU Coolign fan 3.6GHz
Ultra 1024 PC4200 DDR2 533MHz Memory (x2)
Ultra 600w V-Series DR PSU

3 IDE WD 250Gb Hard Drives Configured as 1 Master and 2 slaves
Second matester is an NECND-3550A DVD

Build following instructions
Knocked out the template on the case as it was wrong for this motherboard and inserted correct template
Checked seating of motherboard and added necessary brass posts
Carefully mounted Motherboard and screwed (no over tightening)
Mounted Power supply
Went to install CPU and realised the coolign fan had a mounting unti that sits underneath motherboard - removed motherboard and placed cross shaped brass in holes in motherboard and reseated motherboard with brace in place.
Mounted CPU - checking and recheckign the postion relative to the guide before inserting and clipping in with lever.
Applied Grease and mounted CPU cooling fan over CPU. Connected Power for CPU fan to mother board connector
Connected case connections - reset, power switch, power LED etc to mother board
Connected x2 hard drives to IDE 1 as master and slave configured by jumpers using CTG 36 Round Ultra ATA 133 EIDE cable
Connected x1 IDE hard drive as slave and NEC DVD burner as master on IDE 2
Pulled floppy from old machine along wiht cable and mounted this and connected to motherboard.
Connected SATA HD to SATA 1 connector using SATA connector
Connected power to x3 IDE HD's, Floppy, SATA drive, DVD and motherboard

Checked connections and then connected basic monitor, keyboard and mouse and power supply and powered device watchign fans etc for start up
Power supply came on wiht fan as did CPU coolign fan. HD's all spun up and DVD was able to eject and return tray

No video on screen (no POST) and the machine beeps (long beeps ~3-4 secs) each. I counted 31 beeps evenly spaced before I shut down and went hunting for detaisl of waht that emant on the MSI website

Their guide was helpful
http://www.msicomputer.com/support/sup_tshoot.asp
but I coud nto see anything that solved my problem - I tried removing memeory and checked seating of connections but got the same result

Now I am stuck as I am in foreign terriitory.

Thanks in advance for any help

n

Test with just 1 stick of the ram in slot 1.
2nd test with just the other stick of ram in slot 1.

You may not have a video problem because the POST is failing before video gets initialized.

nvt

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I have tried with a single stick of RAM in either slot and then wiht the other stick - same result each time

nvt

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
So here is some new infomration that I wwoudl like someone to help me check....
THe MSI support came back wiht an e-mail and some suggestions:
One f whcih was check the compatibility of the processor:

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_cpu_support_detail.php?UID=752&NAME=MS-7222v2.0&kind=1

SO I entered my Motherboard PM8PM-V and my Socket (775) and then was shownt he screen in the link
THe Processsor I have is an INtel Pentium D 840 3.2GHz
In the list it shows:
Pentium D 840 (3.2GHz) 800 16 NO
Under a section heading of:
Pentium D (64-bit, Smithfield, Dual Core, FSB800, L2 Cache 2x1MB)
Which implies this CPU is a 64-bit CPU and is incompatible.

If so - I woud appreciate suggestions for the cheapest options in fixing the problem - change motherboard (so it fits the case and can use the processor - $56
Or change processor so it fits this motherboard - $144
Either way if I am interpreting this correctly I have a mist matched CPU and Motherboard
Thanks,
n

Redraider

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I'd try a different brand memory. Your board might not like the memory you have. And look up what that beep code means.

nvt

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
The best match I can find at the MSI Motherboard site is

http://www.msicomputer.com/support/sup_tshoot.asp
Is this:
>>>Verify POST beep codes
Continues beeps or 1long 2short beeps = possible memory error
• Try re-seating memory or test with different memory
<<<<

I have tried all the reseating and removing one stick etc to no avail. I have opened every other PC I have and they all have the older style memeory so I have no other ememory to try. THe only way to do this is to buy another memory and/or return existing to exchange.

I sure woud like to be sure that is the reason before I go through that pain and expense. IS there any way to be sure or other things to try?

Thansk,
n

nvt

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
For those interested or watching - I did get to talk to MSI - they tell me the chip is incpomatible with this board - frustrating to be sold it as a package when they don't work together
Now returnign the board and hoping the rtepalcement board (Intel) will work wiht the chip......

nvt

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Now I am on a new Motherboard, new memory and repalcement drives (IDE -> SATA), and a PCI Graphics card 'cos of MB change

and still getting no video out......

Big sigh..... I'll try and post more details as I try and diagnose but essentially it will not display anything on the video and power down with a two tone warning sound that is sounded twice (INtel MB)

nvt

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Replacement MotherBoard

Intel D945PVSLKR Socket 775 Motherboard
Needed added video card so purchased
nVidia GeoForce 7300GS PCI Express Video Card

Still failed to boot - memory I had not listed in the Intel Motherboard support pages as tested or compatible (that did not mean it was incompatible but it had not been tested and proven as compatible)

Exchanged memory
Kingston 1024MB PC4200 DDR2 533MHZ

Stil the same problem - no POST and video output and the system shuts down.
Once agian I am stuck and at a total loss. I have removed all compoenents to check to see if any are causing the probelm but the results aree the same

Any help ior suggestions woud be appreciated

Thanks,

n