Sudden out of blue computer crash - not starting now

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Light
  • Computer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
October 2, 2006 11:16:43 PM

Hey guys I really need your help on this one, this is totally got me. So I burn a copy of "ultimate windows boot cd" with nero and then I go lye on my bed for about 20 minutes, come back and see that both my work light and computer light and my cd rom drive light that I had the "windows xp sp2" disk in for reading off of is on.

Seeing all 3 lights on simultianiously from the past has told me my pc has crashed, my monitor is black, automatic power consumption turned it off, move my mouse and nothing happens, so I shut down the computer and started it back up and the same thing all 3 lights on and no video to my monitor.

I shut it down, unplugged the power cord to the powersupply and let it sit for about 5 minutes, and turned it back on, same thing.

Here's the weird part. I unplugged the power going to the cd drom drive that was lite up and when I start the computer the red work light doesn't go on just the green power light and no video. I then unplugged the ribbon cable going to it and kept the power in, turned it on and the cd rom lights flashes as it does when starting the computer and the red work light is very dim compared to regular and the green power light it on but no video still.

The Video card theory is out, I have tried my old video card and have tried VGA to VGA and DVI to DVI and none of those work I still can not get video up and running. Also the Drives only work if the power is plugged in and not the ribbon cable.

Do you guys have any clues at all to what has happened to my computer, why it has suddenly decided to nuke itself? I decided I should post first before trying a new video card, I just have no idea what piece of hardware isn't working or what suggestions do you guys have? Thanks for your help

My System specs are

Intel P4 3.0
ASUS P5GDC Deluxe
EvGA 7900GT PCI E
Generic 2GB Ram
Maxtor SATA 250GB
1 Lite On CDRW Drive - acting up
1 AOpen DVDRW Drive

More about : sudden blue computer crash starting

October 2, 2006 11:45:12 PM

Quote:
Hey guys I really need your help on this one, this is totally got me. So I burn a copy of "ultimate windows boot cd" with nero and then I go lye on my bed for about 20 minutes, come back and see that both my work light and computer light and my cd rom drive light that I had the "windows xp sp2" disk in for reading off of is on.

Seeing all 3 lights on simultianiously from the past has told me my pc has crashed, my monitor is black, automatic power consumption turned it off, move my mouse and nothing happens, so I shut down the computer and started it back up and the same thing all 3 lights on and no video to my monitor.

I shut it down, unplugged the power cord to the powersupply and let it sit for about 5 minutes, and turned it back on, same thing.

Here's the weird part. I unplugged the power going to the cd drom drive that was lite up and when I start the computer the red work light doesn't go on just the green power light and no video. I then unplugged the ribbon cable going to it and kept the power in, turned it on and the cd rom lights flashes as it does when starting the computer and the red work light is very dim compared to regular and the green power light it on but no video still.

Do you guys have any clues at all to what has happened to my computer, why it has suddenly decided to nuke itself? I decided I should post first before trying a new video card, I just have no idea what piece of hardware isn't working or what suggestions do you guys have? Thanks for your help

My System specs are

Intel P4 3.0
ASUS P5GDC Deluxe
EvGA 7900GT PCI E
Generic 2GB Ram
Maxtor SATA 250GB
1 Lite On CDRW Drive - acting up
1 AOpen DVDRW Drive

Two things. If you were plugged in using DVI input, I would try hooking the video card to the monitor's VGA port if possible. Your monitor's DVI function may have failed. Second I would try to boot into Safe Mode and be sure my monitor was set to 60 hertz. I would default my video card settings with the Nvidia software. Then I would try and do System Restore. HTH.
October 2, 2006 11:49:20 PM

unfortunatly :(  I only have DVI Inputs with this card. I have no video at all as of right now but I do have my old EvGA 6600 that has never failed me so I am going to try that and see if I can get video restored but any solutions as to what is up with my CD Drives, I don't know if that is affecting things or what? Thanks
Related resources
October 2, 2006 11:53:07 PM

Quote:
unfortunatly :(  I only have DVI Inputs with this card. I have no video at all as of right now but I do have my old EvGA 6600 that has never failed me so I am going to try that and see if I can get video restored but any solutions as to what is up with my CD Drives, I don't know if that is affecting things or what? Thanks

Yeah, the 6600 sounds like a good idea. There are adapter for DVI>AGP. If you have been using the DVI port on your monitor, try and use the AGP port on the monitor instead. If you have an AGP port.

Did you try powering up and going into bios?
October 3, 2006 12:12:22 AM

Update: I just tried the 6600, it had no effect I am stil getting no video and it was hooked up through a VGA. I have tried VGA to VGA and DVI to DVI from monitor to my 6600 and it rules both out, I still have no video and my CD rom drive is messing up my computer.
October 3, 2006 12:36:15 AM

Quote:
Update: I just tried the 6600, it had no effect I am stil getting no video and it was hooked up through a VGA. I have tried VGA to VGA and DVI to DVI from monitor to my 6600 and it rules both out, I still have no video and my CD rom drive is messing up my computer.

Can you boot up and tap the delete key and get into BIOS. How about tapping F8/F10 and getting in BIOS?
October 3, 2006 1:01:14 AM

no I can't do anything, I can't get video up so I have no idea if the computer is even booting, the odd thing is that my cd rom drives dont even open, it's only if I unplug the ribbon cable that they will actually work but if I do that then my Red work light shuts off and I don't know if that's effecting my PC or not because I can't get video up so I am pretty much out of clause with no video
October 3, 2006 1:08:46 AM

Quote:
no I can't do anything, I can't get video up so I have no idea if the computer is even booting, the odd thing is that my cd rom drives dont even open, it's only if I unplug the ribbon cable that they will actually work but if I do that then my Red work light shuts off and I don't know if that's effecting my PC or not because I can't get video up so I am pretty much out of clause with no video

I'm about out of ideas. You might try unplugging the DVD's and the HD. Leave only one dimm of RAM in slot one, the heatsink/fan and the video card and try booting into bios that way. If you get no boot then seems to leave your Motherboard or power supply as he culprit.
October 3, 2006 1:16:06 AM

Thanks for all your help badge yeah I am just totally stumped on this one I have just have no idea
October 3, 2006 1:41:10 AM

sounds like your 12v rail of your power supply is dead.
Buy a new power supply.
October 3, 2006 1:57:34 AM

Hey Novak,
YOu know you can buy a dvi to vga adapter (my BFG 7900GT OC includes one with the card) from your nearest comp store right? That might work. Or you can always try what Badge mentioned...sys restore. One other thing you can try is F8 after post and try safe mode, the "start xp with last know config that worked " option.
Good luck bro

Antec P180 Performance Case
SeaSonic S12 600w PSU
Asus A8N32 SLI S-939 (bios 1103 V02.58 )
RealTek 97 Onboard
ATHLON 64 X2 4800+ Toledo Core (AMD v 1.3.1.0/MS hotfix/ Dual Opt)
2 G's of Corsair 3500LL Pro @ 400Mhz 2-3-2-6-1T
2- BFG 7900 GT OC in SLI (NV 91.31)
WD RAPTOR 74.3 G's / XP Home / SP2 & Apps
Maxtor SATA II 250 G's /Gaming / Movies / MP3's
Maxtor SATA II 250 G's /backup (unplugged)
Sony CDrom 52X
Plextor 708-A DVD/CD rom
Razer DiamondBack Optical mouse
Logitech Z-5500 Dolby Digital 5.1 THX 500w
October 3, 2006 2:11:04 AM

Quote:
Hey Novak,
YOu know you can buy a dvi to vga adapter

Yeah that's what im using on my 7900GT, I have a DVI to VGA adapter. How do I get into my Safemode though? You guys keep saying to go into bios and stuff but how do I do that if I don't have any video I can't see where it's at or what it's doing, Thanks
October 3, 2006 2:19:27 AM

You burned an ISO of a put together windows boot CD. Ever think it has a BIOS flash proggy set to run when it boots? Guess what I have seen a few of them going around. Will destroy your BIOS and cause the described symptoms. Atleast thats what it sounds like to me. If you want Nero 7 and Windows XP do it legal and use a genuine Win XP CD and install Nero.....dont trust something someone else hacked together just to cut corners. You end up geting burned.
October 3, 2006 2:39:22 AM

I created an ISO with Windows XP SP2 CD from this site

http://www.ubcd4win.com/

It looked pretty legiment and the Disk did burn correctly I tested it on this PC that I am on but what is this you say now, because I made the Iso it had a "so called virus Bootable" on it which causes people's PC's to crash? A loaded program? So any suggestions then if this is may of what happened to me? Thanks for the heads up
October 3, 2006 3:09:41 AM

try swappin out the the mobo..
October 3, 2006 1:39:24 PM

Quote:
Hey Novak,
YOu know you can buy a dvi to vga adapter

Yeah that's what im using on my 7900GT, I have a DVI to VGA adapter. How do I get into my Safemode though? You guys keep saying to go into bios and stuff but how do I do that if I don't have any video I can't see where it's at or what it's doing, Thanks

Once you press button to start comp, keep pressing F 8 until you get the screen that will give you the option, you will see it when it comes up. Just make sure you keep hitting F 8 until it comes up, otherwise it will just keep going right past it.
October 3, 2006 2:15:20 PM

Dudes you all keep saying to go into BIOS but you're not getting that he can't SEE ANYTHING.
1) Most computers make a beep sound during post...do you hear a beep? I'd say thats a good sign for your mobo/psu if you did. Let it run a bit see if you can hear the hard drive loading and such like you were loading Windows. You may not be able to see it but you can hear it if your video card was bugging out.

2) Did you try clearing the CMOS? I find the two CMOS pins on your mobo and touch something like a paperclip on them both to short them, then your BIOS should be back to the way it was from factory. If it IS a BIOS issue caused by that CD, it should get rid of it.

3) If you think its your PSU, get a cheap voltmeter somewhere and measure the voltages from each of the cables and make sure they're all functioning.

4) Finally, have you tried hooking it up to a friend's monitor to see if the monitor is dead?
October 3, 2006 2:45:04 PM

Finally, Wolfman types what I've been thinking all along!!!!! Sometimes reading comprehension here sucks.

When a person says the screen is blank at boot AND NOTHING SHOWS UP, HOW CAN HE "GET INTO BIOS" OR BOOT "SAFE MODE"?????!!!!!!

Sure, he can reset bios on the mobo but this time around it didn't solve the problem according to Novak. end of rant.

Novak, I think you need to get down to the basics, disconnect/remove everything from the mobo but ram, cpu and vid card (narrow down the amount of devices you are trying to troubleshoot). See if you get any response from the monitor with minimal hardware setup. Inspect the mobo for obvious signs of failure, do the sniff test...if something smells burnt it probably is.
October 3, 2006 8:37:49 PM

Thank YOu Wolfman and Blunc! I just couldn't understand why people kept posting "F8" is BIOS when I see anything lol well I will get started on doing what you guys say, just gonna take apart the pc bit by bit and build it back up and see what works / what doesn't and see if I can find any problems

Thanks for your help guys
October 3, 2006 9:23:00 PM

Quote:
Finally, Wolfman types what I've been thinking all along!!!!! Sometimes reading comprehension here sucks.

When a person says the screen is blank at boot AND NOTHING SHOWS UP, HOW CAN HE "GET INTO BIOS" OR BOOT "SAFE MODE"?????!!!!!!

Sure, he can reset bios on the mobo but this time around it didn't solve the problem according to Novak. end of rant.

Novak, I think you need to get down to the basics, disconnect/remove everything from the mobo but ram, cpu and vid card (narrow down the amount of devices you are trying to troubleshoot). See if you get any response from the monitor with minimal hardware setup. Inspect the mobo for obvious signs of failure, do the sniff test...if something smells burnt it probably is.

AAAAH ERRh, If i may add,,,,Novak?? if you do not have any kind of voltmeter or such like,then a spare 12 volt fan will do just bare it's wires and touch 'em to the appropiate pins in the "Berg" 12v connector you can also test the 5volt at the same time..G'Luck........
October 3, 2006 9:37:32 PM

Wolfman made some very good points. The one thing I disagree about is that if the cd somehow flashed your BIOS then resetting it will NOT solve the problem since flashing writes to a ROM chip that is not impacted by loss of power. If that is in fact what happened, you will have to treat it like a failed flash attempt; e.g. get a new bios chip from the mobo manufacturer. However, I wouldn't try this until after you have followed wolfman's advice and tryed an alternate PSU and determined that the mobo is the problem. If you are SURE that the CD you created was legit, then ignore everything related to the BIOS and assume you have a hardware failure.
October 3, 2006 10:11:43 PM

Hey guys I found out what was wrong! I was just looking over the PC and looked at the Power supply and the ATX 12V hookup is burned! It burned up I have no idea why but it must have happened yesterday when my computer died and that would explain my problems.

I don't know if it effected my motherboard, I hope not but THANKS for all your help guys, I really aprechiate it! Off to FRY's tonight
!