Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Error when trying to delete a empty folder

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Error Message
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
November 20, 2004 11:36:21 PM

Hi,
Have a empty directory under the Program Files directory that when I try
to delete, I get the following error message:

Cannot Delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk

Any suggestions on how I can delete this folder?

Thanks
JR

More about : error delete empty folder

Anonymous
November 20, 2004 11:45:49 PM

Hi,

See this from MVP Kelly:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_d.htm#del

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Jeffro" <jeffrow@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Have a empty directory under the Program Files directory that when I try
> to delete, I get the following error message:
>
> Cannot Delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk
>
> Any suggestions on how I can delete this folder?
>
> Thanks
> JR

March 20, 2015 9:09:56 AM

After 11 years, I doubt anyone cares at all.
April 22, 2015 9:21:04 PM

It could also be that that area of the HD is physically damaged. You should do a scan disk. Also KillBox can delete it Fileassassin can't because it can only delete locked and/or undeleteable files, not directories. But KillBox can delete the directory on restart just set it to delete folders Add that folder to the delete list, and check the box delete on restart then click delete, and it will restart and hopefully fix it.