Problem with my system, frequent reboots

spak_man

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003
Hi

I just put a AMD64 3500+ into my machine (upgrade from a 3000+ and I have been having some problems ever since

My system will randomly reboot, and when windows comes back to life I get a message saying 'Windows has just recovered from a serious error' or somthing along those lines (I will edit this post and let you know exactly what it says next time it happens), this occurs fairly often. Ive run Memtest86 for about 12 hours with no errors, but when I run Prime95 I get an error almost right away (always along the lines of FATAL ERROR: Resulting sum was X, expected Y, hardware failure detected consult stress.txt file) So im pretty sure its a problem with the CPU.. ( I got the CPU from a friend for free, so I cant return it to the store for a new one :( , so if it is, Ill have to put my 3000+ back in) anyways My question is, does anyone know of any other test programs I can use to be sure before I ship this lovely little processor back to god knows where for replacement?

Here are my system specs

ABit AV8
2x512 KVR ram 400mhz
Radeon 9600 pro 256m
Windows XP pro SP2 (I just reinstalled)
350W Enermax PSU

anyways if anyone has any test programs to suggest let me know, or any suggestions of other components to check before I assume it is the processor thats causing the problem

Any help is apreciated

-spakman

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Hi

I just put a AMD64 3500+ into my machine (upgrade from a 3000+ and I have been having some problems ever since

My system will randomly reboot, and when windows comes back to life I get a message saying 'Windows has just recovered from a serious error' or somthing along those lines (I will edit this post and let you know exactly what it says next time it happens), this occurs fairly often. Ive run Memtest86 for about 12 hours with no errors, but when I run Prime95 I get an error almost right away (always along the lines of FATAL ERROR: Resulting sum was X, expected Y, hardware failure detected consult stress.txt file) So im pretty sure its a problem with the CPU.. ( I got the CPU from a friend for free, so I cant return it to the store for a new one :( , so if it is, Ill have to put my 3000+ back in) anyways My question is, does anyone know of any other test programs I can use to be sure before I ship this lovely little processor back to god knows where for replacement?

Here are my system specs

ABit AV8
2x512 KVR ram 400mhz
Radeon 9600 pro 256m
Windows XP pro SP2 (I just reinstalled)
350W Enermax PSU

anyways if anyone has any test programs to suggest let me know, or any suggestions of other components to check before I assume it is the processor thats causing the problem

Any help is apreciated

-spakman
I noticed that you just installed SP2. I would try putting the 3000+ back in, and see if the symptoms persist. If they do, then it's likely an SP2 incompatability with something. If it stops...great, swap in the 3500+ again to double-check. That should give you some idea if it's the CPU or not. BIOS update might be worthwhile(if there is an updated one) too. Another possibility is your PSU may be be acting up, or slightly underpowered. GL :)