Primax Colorado USB 9600 & Win XP Home

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

Hello.

I hope someone can help me.

I have just purchased a new PC running Win XP Home, and am struggling to get
my scanner (as on the Subject line) to work.

I found a driver package on the web that should to the installation
(pismusbeng.exe), but I am getting a slight difference and was wondering if
any of you had seen it on your quest to get the same unit working at all.

Rather than my scanner appearing in Device Manager as under OTHER DEVICES,
mine appears under UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS CONTROLLERS as an "Unknown Device".
If I remove it, it re-detects as "Unknown Device". If I go on to this,
there are no drivers installed, however I can try to update it. I point to
the installation folder as per your document, and get an error telling me
that it cannot add any drivers as these are no better match than the
software I currently have installed (which is none...).

I have even gone through the Registry and removed any references to PMX???
just in case, restarted to let the system re-detect the scanner and I am
still in the same position.

If you have seen this before, and can remember if there was an easy
solution, I would appreciate any pointers you could give.

Thank you very much in anticipation.

Regards

Tim Watts

Jimmy

"Tim Watts (Home)" <tmw@freenet.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hello.
>
> I hope someone can help me.
>
> I have just purchased a new PC running Win XP Home, and am struggling to
get
> my scanner (as on the Subject line) to work.
>
> I found a driver package on the web that should to the installation
> (pismusbeng.exe), but I am getting a slight difference and was wondering
if
> any of you had seen it on your quest to get the same unit working at all.
>
> Rather than my scanner appearing in Device Manager as under OTHER DEVICES,
> mine appears under UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS CONTROLLERS as an "Unknown
Device".
> If I remove it, it re-detects as "Unknown Device". If I go on to this,
> there are no drivers installed, however I can try to update it. I point
> the installation folder as per your document, and get an error telling me
> that it cannot add any drivers as these are no better match than the
> software I currently have installed (which is none...).

It appears your drivers did not install properly. Install the drivers with
the scanner disconnected, reboot, then connect the scanner. You might take
a look at this link.
http://www.primax.nl/documents/xpmedocs/19200english.htm

Jimmy

"Jimmy" <whoknows@whocares.com> wrote in message
> It appears your drivers did not install properly. Install the drivers
with
> the scanner disconnected, reboot, then connect the scanner. You might
take
> a look at this link.
> http://www.primax.nl/documents/xpmedocs/19200english.htm

I forgot to add, www.primax.nl support indicates they do not have XP drivers
for this model, but have Win2000 drivers. As the link from my previous
response suggests, you will need to try to get the Win2000 drivers to work.
If they do not work for you, then you may be out of luck.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

Hi.

I had already found that link in my vast attempts at getting it to work.

It would appear to be about a 50/50 success rate with the 2000 driver, from
what I have read on Google in recent days. Unfortunately, I appear to have
been in the unlucky 50.

I have decided to move the scanner onto my other machine; that still runs
Windows 98, so will not have any issues. Pity, but at least I can send the
files between the 2 machines and do not have the expense of having to get
another scanner.

Thanks for your help.

TMW