SATA Disk Boot Failure

Cowichandave

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
MB Asus P4G8X
2 SATA 80g seagate drives - mirrored set.

Started with a ATI3d2ag.dll blue screen error

Rebooted

Boot message - "Incomplete Raid set" then "Disk Boot failure"

Raid utility says " NO Mirrored set" " Set 0 Invalid Raid drive

I swapped both drives around

Messages are the same.

What do I do next

Dave

grimmysnr

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Disable the raid and format each drive as a single entity until you find which one is the busted one. If your raid was mirrored then if one drive failed theoretically you should have a backup. In this case i think your entire array failed.

If i were you unfortunately i would count your data as a loss unless someone can come up with something better. At this point your goal would be to narrow down which drive failed (if not both) and replace it. I also wouldnt put it past the raid controller failing.

Is the controller on board or independant?

The dll issue has something to do with your ATI video card and should not have affected your raid array. Sometimes updating your drivers may fix that issue. But if you google that dll problem theres solutions everywhere.

Your problem rests with your raid controller and in that case your data is gone. Or one or both drives failed in which your data may be gone and you need to find out which one failed. What confuses me is why you dont have a backup if the drives were mirrored. If i understand when one drive fails in a Raid-1 config you will continue as normall oblivious to the drive failure unless you have software that alerts you of it.

Either way..if you cant even boot up i find it hard to be able to gather your data. Just narrow down which drive failed.

grimmysnr

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Now that i think a little more i would pull all power and reset the CMOS (pop out the little watch battery) which will return the BIOS to default settings. Then go in the bios and set the raid array back to Raid-1.

But post what raid controller your using. The raid array is setup on the drives themselves and like i said if only one drive failed reseting the bios back to default and then setting up Raid-1 again will atleast make one drive functional. IF both drives failed (which is unlikely) then your kinda screwed.

Need more info though on your raid controller. As far as the dll file, one thing at a time. This disk boot failure is far more important but unrelated to eachother.

**Edit again**

Browse through this post it may point you in some kind of direction.

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/14811/?o=20